ex and would be ex-gamblers support thread

Comments

• cantcope
    cantcope Posts: 1,886 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Welcome Leanne,
    you can just turn up at a meeting, i'd go with a general one first before you start the steps. The meeting will welcome you and let you know some of the things you can do to help stop you from gambling...

hand over your finances, tell other half everything regarding debt (it will come out eventually anyway so tell them now)
    put gamblock (for a fee) or k9 (free) on your phone
    tell your friends and family. (the more people know the more they can support and help you)
    take lots of phone numbers (or a list) when you go to the meeting so you can call other members throughout the week.

remember, the first step is to admit you are powerless over gambling. once you do this the rest comes in time x

Also remember you are not alone. GA will be filled with people who know exactly what you are talking about, they will have felt what you feel, done what you've done.

I've been in GA for almost 12 years now and not gambled for 11.5 years. It works if you want it to (i thought i was better than ga to start with, i wasnt.)
    i barely think about gambling now and when i do i look at what i've achieved without it and realise that all it would bring is misery.

Good luck. feel free to message me privately if you wish

Lynsey x
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
  • cantcope
    jools1985 wrote: »
    4 months yesterday since my last bet. I'm feeling really good about that and not missing it at all.

Great stuff Jools!!!:j
  • Leanneglos1
    Leanneglos1 Posts: 84 Forumite
    Thank you for your advice, this weekend was a massive step for me, I wrote letters to my family members, OH and told my close friends, so the secret is out and everyone knows and the weight that has been lifted or my shoulders has been amazing, everyone is supporting me, my OH is taking full Control of my money, my wages paid in to his account and I!!!8217;ll be using a pre paid card that he will top up, I have a 3 year plan that clear my debt, my mum is also going to lend me some money and I!!!8217;m Lucky enough to have 2 meetings in my area so although the thought of going to 1 terrifies me I know that without it I won!!!8217;t get better so I!!!8217;m going, April 5th was day 1 of my new life
  • cantcope
    Thats brilliant progress! well done!
    Try not to clear the debt too quickly as this puts pressure on you which
    may in turn lead to gambling when things are a little tight. better to be able to live comfortably than struggle.

Do you need to borrow money from your mum?
    GA wouldn't advise borrowing anymore (unless its for immediate bills), especially from your family who are easily led if we really want some more!

Try to listen and take in as much as you can at the meetings. speak if you feel up to it. the more you tell the people in the room the more they can help you x
    its nerve-wracking at the start but it gets easier i promise. i was a lone 31 year old woman in a room full of older men when i first went! :o

Now i'm part of the furniture and there are more women thankfully :)
  • jools1985
    jools1985 Posts: 325 Forumite
    Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud! First Post First Anniversary
    That's great Leanne. It's not easy telling others that you are a compulsive gambler so well you for doing it. :)
  • Sorry guys, another question, I!!!8217;ve mever really thought about it but last week or so since everything came out (I think it!!!8217;s anxiery) has been through the roof...heart palpitations, short of breath etc etc, do I just ride it out and hope once everything settles it will ease? I don!!!8217;t really want to go docs and get put on pills and hoping once dust is settled it should ease, any one else been in a similar situation?
  • cantcope
    anxiety is common, in fact you likely always had it but the gambling muted it. once you stop you are much more aware of emotions and things going on with your body and mind.
    Beta blockers or a mild anti depressant may be a good idea for a little while until your mind gets into a "new" place of not gambling xx

However, heart palpitations could be other things so maybe a trip to the docs isn't a bad thing whether you want medication or not x
  • TrumpCard
    TrumpCard Posts: 17 Forumite
    cantcope wrote: »
    anxiety is common, in fact you likely always had it but the gambling muted it. once you stop you are much more aware of emotions and things going on with your body and mind.
    Beta blockers or a mild anti depressant may be a good idea for a little while until your mind gets into a "new" place of not gambling xx

However, heart palpitations could be other things so maybe a trip to the docs isn't a bad thing whether you want medication or not x

This is so true, I have been gamble free for over 4 months now which makes me really pleased with myself. But all my colleagues at work have noticed I’ve become much more reserved and quiet lately, and I’m noticing it myself. Gambling used to give me a social buzz when winning and now I’ve got rid of that, I need to learn how to interact without it. Scary really how much gambling took over me in so many ways.
  • cantcope
    TrumpCard wrote: »
    This is so true, I have been gamble free for over 4 months now which makes me really pleased with myself. But all my colleagues at work have noticed I’ve become much more reserved and quiet lately, and I’m noticing it myself. Gambling used to give me a social buzz when winning and now I’ve got rid of that, I need to learn how to interact without it. Scary really how much gambling took over me in so many ways.

its all about filling the void. Most people i know in GA take up a new hobby. it fills the time and they get to meet new people too. I took up baking and netball...cakes made me fat, netball burned them off :T:rotfl:
  • Valio
    Valio Posts: 8 Forumite
    Hi All,

This is my first post ever here.I honestly don!!!8217;t know how and what to write and I would really prefer not writing at all...But I finally realised it and accepted it. The fact that the only way to fight it and deal with it, is to talk about it...

So yeah, I!!!8217;m a compulsive gambler !!!55357;!!!56852; I!!!8217;ve been hiding that for years and living in denial for so long lead to the obvious consequences - debt (not entirely sure how much but probably £10k now).

I don!!!8217;t want to tell you how miserable and how depressed I feel about it, I!!!8217;m sure you!!!8217;ll understand. I also read a lot of the forum threads here, already spoke with few organisations and today at 6:30pm I!!!8217;m about to attend my first GA meeting. Hopefully I get that motivation needed and go through this.

I just need an advice please. What would be the best way to organise my finances? I!!!8217;m thinking about DMP, but before doing so I better call StepChange for advice, right?

Please let me know your thought about that, would really appreciate all comments and suggestions!

Thanks all and have a wonderful day!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport