Potential double payment

Last month my wife and I had a claim upheld on am overdraft account. This wasn't the account wee had originally claimed on but the bank (RBS) appeared to go through all the finance we had ever had after we initially made the claim online as wee wee issued multiple ppi reference numbers. We accepted the offer and received the payment a few days later.

Fast forward to today and we received another offer for a similar amount ( it was like £8 more than last time) and the same OD number was listed. This immediately raised red flags so i called the RBS PPI number sms explained the situation.

The lady on phone said that although they were both listed for the same overdraft account , one reference was listed as from 2003 and the one I received today was from 2000 so as far as she could see they were both legit. I asked if she believed it was ok to go ahead sms accept this 2nd offer and she said yes.

Where would this leave me in the case of a mistaken 2nd payment given I've called the bank seeking clarification and been given this information today ?

Comments

• If the Bank has made an error then they will want the money back.

By all means accept the offer, but I wouldn't spend it until you have written confirmation that it isn't a mistake.
  • I called them again today and a different person again said that as far as he could see the were for a different period though for the same account.

It's a different reference number than the origins letter so I dunno. The calls are recorded and I've logged the dates and times. Them just taking nearly £2000 out of our account a few months down the line would put us in a really bad position.
  • HoboUK wrote: »
    Them just taking nearly £2000 out of our account a few months down the line would put us in a really bad position.
    So get written confirmation that it's not an error; it should not take more than a few days.

Worth it for piece of mind I think.
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Accept it and put it in a separate account and leave it there.

You wont miss what you never had if they decide they want it back
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • I've just phoned them again. They are going to escalate it to their customer service department and send out a letter acknowledging I've phoned asking twice for confirmation and that they believe the offer to be correct.

Only down side is he said the CS department hane 15 days to respond to his request.
  • I'm sure you can delay spending your unexpected windfall for a fortnight... :)
  • ��possibly.....

Knowing RBS customer services I'll be lucky if the letter ever arrives.
  • HoboUK wrote: »

Knowing RBS customer services I'll be lucky if the letter ever arrives.
    Or your refund cheque! :D
  • I’m not sure what to do - I received a call form my bank ( RBS ) asking how much I ( self) deposited on Friday , I counted out £660 put the cash in the envelope wrote on the envelope £660 with my account details. The bank are now saying I posted £560 !!! I don’t have a lot of money, £660 is a lot for my to post at one time , so I definitely know that was the amount . What do I do if the bank try to deduct £100 from me ????? I’m waiting on a call from the manager.
  • I. What do I do if the bank try to deduct £100 from me ????? I’m waiting on a call from the manager.
    £660 is a lot of money to self-deposit at an ATM. Why didn't you take it to the counter? This is the kind of comment you will get from the Bank.

You can be sure that several bank staff will have double checked this amount prior to it being reported as a discrepancy.

Are you certain you haven't put the other £100 elsewhere?

How did you come to have such a relatively large amount in cash?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure