Lloyds to MBNA Balance Transfer

Hi, just applied for that new MBNA 38 month balance transfer card. I just realised (thought it was owned by BOA) that MBNA is owned by Lloyds.

The reason I got this card is to transfer a balance from a Lloyds Bank credit card to the MBNA one as the interest-free period is expiring. This wouldn't be a problem right?

Thanks for the help!

Comments

• Probably you will be ok I don't know how much things have merged back office wise yet - if you don't ask you don't get.
  • adouas
    adouas Posts: 12 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    they say 'no transfer from lloyds bank cards' on lloyds website and on MBNA website they say 'no transfers from MBNA cards' so should be ok!
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    You can still do BT’s between Lloyds and Halifax and Lloyds and Bank of Scotland. That is after 8 years of being the same group. MBNA will likely be the same for a while.
  • planteria
    planteria Posts: 5,321 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    agreed, should fine. at least for now.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Even though they are owned by the same banking group, it a different brand so it will be fine.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • Edi81
    Edi81 Posts: 1,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    They are also separate companies.

Bank of Scotland and Halifax are separate brands but the same company and no balance transfers are allowed between them.

As an aside it looks like MBNA are still generous with their credit limits and increases they’ve just increased mine by nearly half from£10k to just under £15k. Crazy if you ask me!
  • faddy
    faddy Posts: 508 Forumite
    Edi81 wrote: »
    They are also separate companies.

Bank of Scotland and Halifax are separate brands but the same company and no balance transfers are allowed between them.

Does anyone know if MBNA counts as part of the Lloyds Banking Group for the purposes of this from the Lloyds website:

"You can only have a maximum of two credit cards with Lloyds Bank and a maximum of five with Lloyds Banking Group (which includes Bank of Scotland and Halifax)"?
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    faddy wrote: »
    Does anyone know if MBNA counts as part of the Lloyds Banking Group for the purposes of this from the Lloyds website:

"You can only have a maximum of two credit cards with Lloyds Bank and a maximum of five with Lloyds Banking Group (which includes Bank of Scotland and Halifax)"?

Yes - MBNA UK cards is now fully part of Lloyds Banking group.

Thinking about it if you want to make balance transfers it makes sense to get cards outside of Lloyds' stable.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Lloyds cards accept balance transfers from Halifax, Bank of Scotland and MBNA.

MBNA cards accept balance transfers from Lloyds, Halifax and Bank of Scotland.

Halifax cards accept balance transfers from Lloyds and MBNA, but not Bank of Scotland.

Bank of Scotland cards accept balance transfers from Lloyds and MBNA, but not Halifax.
  • MABLE
    MABLE Posts: 4,080 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    adouas wrote: »
    Hi, just applied for that new MBNA 38 month balance transfer card. I just realised (thought it was owned by BOA) that MBNA is owned by Lloyds.

The reason I got this card is to transfer a balance from a Lloyds Bank credit card to the MBNA one as the interest-free period is expiring. This wouldn't be a problem right?

Thanks for the help!

I have transferred recently from Lloyds to MBNA and then back again with no issues.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure