Rejected by NatWest and FSO - Waiting for actual ombudsmen decision. Plevin. Help pls

Hello. Help needed please. New to this. Here goes. We had a credit card with NatWest RBS that had ppi applied when we got the card in 1999. We didn't know that they had ticked the box. We realised in 2007 and called to have the insurance removed but they told us that we should keep it. We took this to NatWest and then the ombudsmen in 2012 - rejected by NatWest and the first line at the ombudsmen. We have been on hold whilst Plevin was decided and were promised that following on from that an actual ombudsmen would look at our complaint and consider the case.

This week we received a letter from the ombudsman who advised that NatWest have looked at the case in relation to plevin and have offered to settle using that ruling - This means repayment of the commission over 50% of the ppi payment only. We have a week to decide whether to take this offer or to refer back to the ombudsman for a final ruling. I am confused as surely we should have our complaint investigated as well as or including the plevin case. So the plevin ruling shouldn't invalidate the rest of the claim or a refusal on the rest of the claim shouldn't mean we can't claim plevin at all. Not sure what to do next.

Comments

• So nothing to lose by asking for the final review and if that's rejected we can claim plevin anyway. Thanks so much for speedy reply.
  • Rah76 wrote: »
    I am confused as surely we should have our complaint investigated as well as or including the plevin case. So the plevin ruling shouldn't invalidate the rest of the claim or a refusal on the rest of the claim shouldn't mean we can't claim plevin at all. Not sure what to do next.
    You need to understand that Plevin only applies to rejected complaints. If you have already failed at both the Bank and and FOS adjudicator, the chances of your rejection being overturned by an Ombudsman are slim.

If the Bank are offering a settlement under Plevin, it means your complaint was indeed investigated in 2012 and it failed. It was only on "hold" pending the regulators deciding on how the Plevin Ruling would be enacted.

It's really up to you, but you have only two realistic options that I can see.

You can either accept the Plevin redress now or after the Ombudsman rejects your appeal.
  • Rah76 wrote: »
    So nothing to lose by asking for the final review and if that's rejected we can claim plevin anyway.
    Or accept the Plevin refund now if you don't want to wait.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,301 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am confused as surely we should have our complaint investigated as well as or including the plevin case.

As mentioned, Plevin only applies to rejected complaints. So, either you accept you have been rejected and taken the Plevin redress or you reject it and pin your hopes on the unlikely case the ombudsman will overrule the adjudicator (which is only around 1 in 10 cases and typically in the more complicated things. Not PPI which is generally very easy).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure