Capital One contacted me regarding PPI then rejected me!

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can give some advice please? I applied to reclaim my mis-sold PPI in 2012 from Capital One, they subsequently rejected my claim. I then received a letter from Capital One a month and a half ago this year (2017) to say that I should reapply for my mis-sold PPI if I feel it was indeed mis-sold. I applied via Resolver but my claim was rejected due it being more than 6 months since my original claim so I wouldn't be able to challenge the initial decision. This is driving me crazy! Should I start a new claim or am I at a dead end? Any help is much appreciated. :(

Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like they invited you to complain on the basis of the Plevin ruling, investigated and found that your policy did not qualify for a refund, but then perhaps sent you the wrong rejection template letter.

Plevin applies to previously rejected complaints, but only if undisclosed commission was in excess of 50%.

Ask them to clarify exactly why you were rejected as they wrote to you in the first place.

Out of interest, why exactly was your original complaint rejected back in 2012?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Did the letter invite you to complain again or did it invite you to complain under the Plevin/supreme court ruling?

By using Resolver, you effectively tried complaining on the original basis again. I suspect, as above, that this was a Plevin letter not inviting you to complain again.

You get one bite of the cherry. You cant keep complaining expecting a different outcome. Each time you complain, they can keep referring you to their original decision.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Hi, thank you for getting back to me. The Plevin ruling that you've mentioned sounds interesting and would partially define what's happened. I don't think the commission was over 50% so I may not be applicable in that respect. However I'll definitely ask Capital One to state why they contacted me in the first place which is the frustrating part. My original clam was rejected because I was told I had signed up for PPI even though the PPI was locked in.
  • Hi, thank you for replying to me. The letter said I couldn't apply for them to recheck the PPI claim due to more than 6 months passing since the original claim. Were they just covering themselves when they sent out the new letter? It also didn't mention the Plevin/Supreme court ruling sadly. Based on what you've said starting a new compliant on the previous PPI claim wouldn't equal a positive outcome so It sounds like I'm at the end of the road with Capital One.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure