What's the strangest "substitute" item you've been offered on your home delivery?

Options

Comments

• robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    re-the shopper from tesco

i understand where yopure coming from but how hard is it to realise that people want a certain nappy size if u can override thew sub choice why dont they do that instead of being lazy and getting an orange insted of orange biscuits!
    What goes around-comes around
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    icklede wrote: »
    I am currentley a picker at Tesco and have been for 3 and a half years so just thought I'd add some stuff.

Yes I agree there are some random subs given but not many I know of that occur in my branch. The computers we use give you siggestions as to what to sub but as pickers we are able to override there ides and substitute whatever we like. Some of the suggestions are stupid such as substituting oranges for orange peppers.

Secondly on the etsco website there is an option to either request no subs or put in your own sub so if you don't want something random tell us what you want we aren't mind readers and have to make an educated guess!

Also think about what else there is to sub before moaning about how stupid the substitution is. As the case with the macaroni cheese meal what else would you have expected and why not tell us. We don't know what you like to eat!

And finally, christmas turkeys. If you are studpid enough to get your order delivered on crimbo eve then more fool you! In our store they get rid of all fresh turkey apart from whole turkeys and crowns just before crimbo thereforre if they run out we can't even substitute fillets or anything. So don't be suprised if you end up with a chicken! there isn't much we can do.

Donna x

Sorry if you have been offended Donna- I don't think that was the intention of the thread, its more a consolation/bit of a laugh at the c**k ups some of us have experienced.

The lastet- told to me by my friend, sanitary towels swapped with a pack of toilet rolls! (you really don't want to spend too much time thinking about that)
    Couldn't see how exactly Tescos could ever run out of sanitary towels- they are always overstocked in mine- and her store is even bigger then mine!
  • Bargaintog
    Options
    My fave was Marigold rubber gloves for Sunflower oil (admittedly this was in the days where the system tried to predict a replacement not a human)
  • geordie_lass_2
    Options
    I use Asda home delivery, if they substitute then it's always for a higher value item but you still pay the lower price of what you ordered.
    I haven't had any really weird substitutions but just before Christmas last year I had ordered a small frozen turkey crown. They subbed it with a massive fresh free range one at the same price so I was very happy.
  • RHDragonlady
    Options
    Whilst on a slimming world diet I once ordered the lemon cheesecake flavoured mullerlight yoghurts, they sent me a cheesecake instead!!
    OCT- 1st EVER WIN- Barbie and the diamond castle- 2 DVDs, 2 dolls and a flying horse.:j
  • brightstar182
    Options
    Get this - I ordered kiwi fruit and got kiwi black shoe polish instead hmmmmm. :rotfl:
  • KTM_Gordo
    Options
    A bottle of extra virgin olive oil turned in to a tub of olive oil spread...

I gave up with the home delivery services because inevitably some of your items are out of stock, or missing, or badly substituted so I have to go to the supermarket anyway. I can be out and back within the hour, so it's quicker than waiting in for two hours.

Tesco have a 100% failure rate on my deliveries, even managing to deliver my entire order to the wrong house! Surely the large numbers on our front doors ought to be a clue...

For something that ought to make life easier, it never seems to work that way. And we pay a fortune for the "convenience".
  • Skint_Catt
    Skint_Catt Posts: 11,548 Forumite
    Options
    Get this - I ordered kiwi fruit and got kiwi black shoe polish instead hmmmmm. :rotfl:

Which makes me think the substitutions are computer generated. If you were picking you'd pick up another fruit not walk halfway across the store to the bizarrest thing you can find with Kiwi in the title!
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    reakt wrote: »
    I ordered a 10-pack of condoms. They delivered two rubber gloves and a pair of scissors.
    Ordinary condoms too big then?:p
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    reakt wrote: »
    I ordered a 10-pack of condoms. They delivered two rubber gloves and a pair of scissors.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: That's the funniest yet, even though you're obviously joking. I hope you are! :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure