Disabling fire alarm

As part of our renovation we installed new fire alarms which are mains hardwired.

Downstairs there is still an old fire alarm next to the new one (we didn't refurbish downstairs yet, but we do have a new alarm). This old alarm is now chirping probably because of backup batteries going out. How can I disconnect it? It's 100% unnecessary to have it. Can I do it myself or need an electrician?

Comments

• Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Is the old one hardwired as well ? If so, it's usually just a case of removing the cover, un-doing a couple of screws to release it from the ceiling, then you'll see a simple plug-in connector coming from the ceiling - unplug this and job's a good-un. If you Google for the make/model number you're bound to find the instruction manual online if you don't already have one.

You can do this yourself. My only note of caution would be to do something with the now redundant connector if you're not re-using it. In practice, I think you'd be fine to just tape it over with electrical tape and tuck it out of the way - it's not high-voltage. To do the job "properly" I suppose you ought to really cut off the connector and put a proper terminator on the end (after having switched the circuit off first, of course !). Or even better, switch off the circuit completely and permanently at the consumer unit. But that depends how it's wired - are your new alarms on the same circuit as the old ones, or have you put in a new circuit for them ?

Of course, if the old alarm is not hard-wired then you've got no problem - just remove it and chuck it away.
  • gentlepurr
    gentlepurr Posts: 4,122
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Ring your local fire service, they will come out free of charge and sort it for you, - its all a part of their fire prevention service x
    "It is not uncommon for slight acquaintances to get married, but a couple really have to know each other to get divorced." - Anonymous
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport