How best to spend £13.93 to live for a week?

167891012»

Comments

• ORLS81
    ORLS81 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I send 20 pound per week on a full grocery shop for me and my partner. I do the majority of my shopping in aldi, i find this very good value. I also pop into the local supermarkets after work, around 6.00-6.30, this is a great time to get cheap bread, veggies and salad stuff. Waitrose sell of their really nice bread for about 15-20p, and they sell off their bagels for approx 20p, i buy a few pack of these and freeze.

I like to bulk up my meals with beans and lentils, these tins are so cheap, black eyed peas with rice and a some stock mixed through is so tasty.
  • socks_uk
    socks_uk Posts: 2,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 May 2010 at 3:33PM
    c-m wrote: »
    Lol.

Its not really a situation. Its enough to survive on for 6/7 days just about, so i'm not too concerned. I was just asking to see what others might suggest buying.

I was Ill in February and lost around £300 in lost earnings. My previous employer only paid stautory sick pay (the figure above takes that into acount too, so I actually lost more)

That meant that I couldn't pay some bills in March.

As such I had to pay them in April. And now with all my April and March bills covered I £13.93 left in my account.

Oh add to that I changed jobs and my current salary gets paid in a little later in my new position.

Don't listen to some of the others... Good on you for trying to help yourself rather than going 'cap in hand' for others to help you out!

My only critisism about the list of groceries for £7 is your breakfast cereals but, because you haven't spent the whole amount of your budget I suppose it's ok. Do you need to make pack-up for lunch? I might have missed that bit and I can't see all previous posts while writing a reply.

ooopppsss.... didn't realise that the crisis is now over!
    DEBT FREE BY 60
    Starting Debt 21st August 2019 = £11,024
    Debt at May 2022 = £5268
    Debt Free Challenge - To be debt free by August 2024
  • Rogvan
    Rogvan Posts: 3 Newbie
    I used to go to the market, get free bones, then find damaged veg and make a big stew that I could keep adding to with just about anything. At least it is nutritious.
  • Chia
    Chia Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Rogvan wrote: »
    I used to go to the market, get free bones, then find damaged veg and make a big stew that I could keep adding to with just about anything. At least it is nutritious.

Good idea. I have found that you can also get free chicken carcasses from butchers if you say you'd like some for your ferrets. Can then use extra for soup etc (I usually receive a bagful - too many for our ferrets to deal with before they spoil).
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    For a week, eating cereals, pasta, noodles, potatoes, toast etc is survivable. Long term, it's the fast-track way to diabetes. Not criticising the OP because s/he had bonafide reasons for wanting to spend as little as poss for a week.

I must say that I am perturbed by the sheer number of people eating processed rubbish because it's cheap and congratulating themselves without thought about the sugar, salt, carbs and chemicals they consume - and lack of vitamins. It IS possible to eat actual food cheaply and there ARE people on MSE forums doing it.
  • Chia
    Chia Posts: 283 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Edwardia wrote: »
    For a week, eating cereals, pasta, noodles, potatoes, toast etc is survivable. Long term, it's the fast-track way to diabetes. Not criticising the OP because s/he had bonafide reasons for wanting to spend as little as poss for a week.

I must say that I am perturbed by the sheer number of people eating processed rubbish because it's cheap and congratulating themselves without thought about the sugar, salt, carbs and chemicals they consume - and lack of vitamins. It IS possible to eat actual food cheaply and there ARE people on MSE forums doing it.

TRUTH. As you mention it's not just the processed-ness - also the carbs and attendant insulin spikes.
  • djcalzar
    djcalzar Posts: 8 Forumite
    as a newbie posting , thats a bit rude
    anything can happen especially in this climate
    So true Janie and its also very rude and extremely condescending too. I have survived on less than £13.65 a week as everyone else says go veg for a week. Also another handy tip is go on a reduced from shopping trip too. Sometimes you spot a food bargain in your supermarket
  • mongmoney
    mongmoney Posts: 174 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Mothership wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this thread, it just shows you how thrifty you can be if needs must. I think there's a lesson for all of us to learn here, maybe we are all spending far too much on food. I know I do. From now on I'm going to have 1 week per month doing a 'poundstretcher'. And put the money I save aside. I started when this thread started, and I have £122 that I'd normally have frittered away. Makes you think doesn't it?

Since joining MSE's forum my approach to my finances has changed completely. Instead of 'How much have I got to spend' foremost in my mind it's now "How much can I save". I follow the grabbit, food and low spend threads with great interest, only buying things I need or will use. My cupboards are now bursting at the seams, I have 'extra' funds I can use for things on my wish list, that I didn't have before. And I am managing to save some money for a rainy day. It's only been 5 months since signing up this site has completely reprogrammed me, I love the thought of all of us looking out for each other, after all we are all here for the same reason to save money without dropping our standard of living.

Hats off to Martin. The government should take him on as a consultant, the man is a GENIUS! :T :T :T :money:

Well done. My attitude was also completely changed when I signed up too. i have saved so much money which I would have wasted otherwise.

Come on Cameron, take on Martin! Maybe the treasury needs a once over from the king of MSE.

Mongy
    Jan GC £28-49/£120 NSD's 15/17
    Dec GC £90-90/£140 NSD's 17/18
    Storms make oaks take deeper root
  • sweetcheeks33
    sweetcheeks33 Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    Because you are being rude and expecting some to explain themselves so you can deem there reason enough before you offer advice. It's none of your damn business what this persons situation is as its happened to everyone at some point. Glad to see some great ideas coming through for dinners... Good luck :)
  • katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    look, I will be honest, it is amazing how much money people waste. I love watching other people shop and seeing why these companies make the money they do. Most people are not as savvy as us MSE'ers. So well done to anyone who saves and tries. We are in the right place and can help our friends and family and everyone else to learn! :)
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport