Buying a used car while Undischarged?

Just a quick query. I'm an undischarged Bankrupt on IPA for three years. I'm only about six months in to Bankruptcy but with what disposable income I'm allowed to keep, I've managed to save enough for a small used car. Around £600 or so. Just a run around for shopping etc.

But I can't find anywhere online that advises if I'm allowed to own a cheap car during this time.

I had a car when I went bankrupt on a PCP deal which was taken away and as I live within walking distance to work, I didn't rely on one but it would be handy to get a runaround.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• mwarby
    mwarby Posts: 2,048
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Sounds like OR felt you didn't need a car, so unlikely to allow motoring expenses in calculating your IPA. The expenses are likely to be significant (tax, insurance serving, mot, mot repairs) esp on an older vehicle

Your OR will likely also be interested in how you managed to save so much
  • Minkym00
    Minkym00 Posts: 770
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Two problems I can see here:

1. If you live within walking distance to work and have managed so far without a car, they will argue you don't need one.
    2. If you've saved £100 a month then they will consider that you have £100 a month surplus income they can claim.

I'd leave things well alone until you are discharged if I were you.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Most definatly agree with post #3# above, wait 6 months, you will be free to do as you wish essentially, that can of worms may look tempting now, but it will taste revolting.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • I see. I did expect it might be an issue. I was tempted to contact the OR and see what they say but I think seeing as the consensus is pretty much unanimous above, I'll wait the extra six months.

Thanks everyone for the advice. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport