PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Doveling
    Doveling Posts: 704 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Chimneys in sitting room and dining room swept. :)

The woodburner is fine but I need to buy some of the rope stuff for the multi-fuel burner.

Logs and coal stocked up on summer prices :)
    Not dim ;) .....just living in soft focus :p
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    At the moment I think all I'm doing with the cooler weather in my mind is air drying my woody herbs from a hook in my kitchen ceiling. They look a little lost up there but out of the way of family goings on and mischief.
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Doveling where do you get that rope stuff for the doors of multifuel stoves?
  • Doveling
    Just put the name of your stove in google and it should come up with an official site for spares.

I use the Stovax website.

HTH :)
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Ok ta- mine is a Parkray. :) TY!
  • NaughtySpot
    NaughtySpot Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 July 2017 at 8:55AM
    My big winter coat has been washed, dried and put away, need to do the husband's now.

I've ordered some blinds for the kitchen and some curtains for the patio doors off the next sale to help keep the heat in, that room was very cold in a morning last winter so hopefully this will help.

I need to prep for my mental health this year, I found last winter very hard especially with all the dark wet days we had. Not looking forward to another winter.

Anyway it's nice to see activity on this thread again :T
  • Doveling
    Have you tried a light box Naughty Spot?
    One seems to help Mr.D. x
  • NaughtySpot
    NaughtySpot Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Doveling wrote: »
    Have you tried a light box Naughty Spot?
    One seems to help Mr.D. x

I haven't got one, it's worth a thought thank you.

I don't think it was the dark days as such; I seemed to have back to back colds and the rain really gets me down. We got a puppy and the muddy paws and standing in the rain waiting for toileting was part of it too I think.

I'll go and research light boxes now though!
  • I made some elderberry syrup, after finding out that it's got solid modern scientific evidence as a virus-killer, especially for respiratory things, because I used to be plagued by head-colds, persistent coughs and horrible sore throat. I keep a 500ml bottle in the fridge and have a teaspoon morning and evening at the very earliest signs of not feeling right in any cold-y way, and it seems to be doing the trick. The only cold I've had in the last year has been a summer cold that caught me off-guard! Also, I've given smaller amounts to various friends/family who couldn't shake a respiratory thing and it seems to have helped them too (I certainly have several 'orders' for some while I'm making it this year!)

The elderberries are ripe in earlyish September in Britain usually. I've always made elderberry cheese (like a thick jelly or a sieved jam, no bits in), but will always make elderberry syrup from now on!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • NaughtySpot (is this by any chance the puppy influencing your name?!)

"and the rain really gets me down"

I'm almost the opposite, as I often love rain... I wonder if there are any ways you can start now in summertime to change your view of the stuff?
    I think there are three rain-situations:
    1. you have to be out in it as you go to your day's work, so if you get soaked, you'll stay soaked.
    2. you have to be out in it as part of your day's work, so if you get soaked, you'll stay soaked.
    3. you have to be out in it but will get home at the end of the being-out, so can change.

For 1 & 2, all I can suggest is investing in the best waterproofs, but for 3, which is my own most common one, I think there are ways you can think differently that make it worse or better.
    I do almost all our shopping, on foot (because my bike needs hauling out of the weeds and cobwebs, oops), and can get sodden in wet weather as each shop is a mile or more in three different direction. It's probably similar to having to take a dog out once or twice a day.

For mild weather like now, I concentrate on having comfortable dry feet and keeping my face (specs!) fairly dry. The rest of me can get rained-on and it doesn't matter. I wear bare arms if it's not really cold, and shorts or loose trousers or skirts. Then on getting in, I just hang up my damp clothes and they dry quickly.
    For colder weather I wear real wool jumpers which have a fuzzy 'halo' of hairs on the surface. For most rain, that 'halo' keeps the rain off the jumper, so I stay warm but also dry. When I get home, I take off the jumper and give it a sharp 'whip-crack' shake on the stairs of the flats, and that takes most of the rain off. Then I generally just put it back on again and it finishes off drying by body-heat :)
    For real deluges, I cut up a brightly-coloured Ikea shower-curtain to make a rain-cape :) I also have a wrap-around over-skirt made from dark green rip-stop nylon which is brilliant as I often go through woodland footpaths as shortcuts and my skirts would get soaked from the undergrowth being wet!

Mostly, the over-skirt and a wool jumper do the trick right through the dark wet months, with decent footwear. And a hat, of course! Dry head and dry feet, always... :)

The other thing you could try is having deliberately-chosen Nice Things to come back to. Is there a hot drink you like? What about setting it up before you go out - clear the comfy chair, get out your favourite mug, put your thick woolly house-socks on the radiator, choose a good book and out that by the chair, put out a plate and knife in the kitchen, and then when you come in, you towel the pup dry (with his towel, not your nice heated one!), take your boots and hat off, towel anything you need to, then put the kettle and your socks on and make your hot drink, toast a slice of bread, butter it and lots of jam, and then pad through to the comfy armchair and curl up for ten minutes with a good book, toast and hot drink...

Might that kind of thing help? so going out might still take some determination, but coming home you think of the warmed socks and the smell of the hot toast and the way the butter melts and the tink-tink of the spoon as you stir your drink...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback