ISA - What to do

Hello everyone,

I have just successfully used a HTB ISA to buy my first home, I now have a bog standard savings account and no ISA, I have a work based pension. I am now keen to start saving again for the future, I don’t think I am keen to use an LISA, what if I need the money and I loose 25%.

I was just hoping if there were kind people out there that could give me an idea of what to go for next?
:money:

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    How far in the future are you saving for?

It may make sense to increase pension contributions for example.

If you're happy to lock up the money for 5-10 years or more, consider investing, via a S&S ISA.

For shorter periods, or if you do want to keep your options open (as implied) then stick to saving: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Cash ISAs may be part of the answer but probably not worth seeing them as automatically the right thing to do....
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    eskbanker wrote: »
    How far in the future are you saving for?

It may make sense to increase pension contributions for example.

If you're happy to lock up the money for 5-10 years or more, consider investing, via a S&S ISA.

For shorter periods, or if you do want to keep your options open (as implied) then stick to saving: https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/savings-accounts-best-interest/

Cash ISAs may be part of the answer but probably not worth seeing them as automatically the right thing to do....
    Thank you for your reply, i have increased the contribution already and I was looking to increase it again in April but because I have only just purchased the house I want to see how its going with payments etc before I committed to anymore.
    I will check out that link to the savings account as I like to keep my options open
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure