Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hope your shower is now fixed and you hear from DS soon. Well done to your other DS for the waitering job!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Thanks jwil :).

We've finally heard from DS2, phew :D.

We've been messaging him since 12.00 (midday) with no answer, plus we could see he hadn't been online. He needs to be at the airport at 3.00 to check in, so by 1.30pm we were beginning to worry. Especially as he said he felt unwell and feverish at 1.30am our time :(. He wasn't answering messages or texts, so in the end we rang the hotel :eek:.

Anyway shortly after we rang the hotel he messaged us to say he was groggy and wheezy but okay. I can't tell you the relief. I don't know how much that phone call to America cost :eek:, but it was worth every penny :T.

I'll be a nervous jibbering wreck by the time he gets home :o.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Oh Gosh! What a worry!

Glad your shower is working again :) x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,176 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Gl;ad shower is mended.

Hopefully all will be well with DS2's trip home & his fever gets less.

Glad DS3's trial went well :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Some say these things are sent to try us. Others say it's kids! I'd say a bit of both.

Perhaps an escape to the bathroom is needed for you tonight.

Your boys seem to be building up their interaction with the world. I must follow in their footsteps.

I know its easy to say, don't worry too much
    Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • I think Christmas is jinxing bathroom fittings. My daughter's friend's little girl tried to twist our flush instead of push it and we are now using a shoe lace to pull the toilet flush. I am glad your shower is working.

I hope your son gets home safetly tomorrow and well done the other one for passing his shift as a waiter. You think you would need to worry less as they get older but it does not work like that.
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Gl;ad shower is mended.

Hopefully all will be well with DS2's trip home & his fever gets less.

Glad DS3's trial went well :)

Thanks beanie :)
    117pauline wrote: »
    Some say these things are sent to try us. Others say it's kids! I'd say a bit of both.

Perhaps an escape to the bathroom is needed for you tonight.

Your boys seem to be building up their interaction with the world. I must follow in their footsteps.

I know its easy to say, don't worry too much
    Take care honey
    Pauline

I'm trying not to worry Pauline, but events seem to be conspiring to me anxious :eek:
    I think Christmas is jinxing bathroom fittings. My daughter's friend's little girl tried to twist our flush instead of push it and we are now using a shoe lace to pull the toilet flush. I am glad your shower is working.

I hope your son gets home safetly tomorrow and well done the other one for passing his shift as a waiter. You think you would need to worry less as they get older but it does not work like that.

I think you're right about bathroom fittings, lots of people seem to be having problems :rotfl:.

I don't think we ever stop worrying about our children :o.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Well DS2 is safely at the airport, has checked in and should be boarding very soon for the first leg of his journey :).

DH, DS1 and I have all had a lovely hot shower (not all at the same time!) :j

I've done two surveys for £1 each and £11 has gone into Emergency Fund 2 from my survey earnings :T.

I've also posted two birthday gift vouchers. December birthdays :mad:.

So overall an anxious (in the morning) but reasonably efficient day considering I only had five hours sleep last night.

I hope everyone else is having a good day and isn't snowed in for Christmas :rotfl:.
  • Glad DS is on his way home, and also that you have a working shower.

The £160 isn't as bad as it could have been. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • DS2 is on his second flight now which will take seven hours to arrive, so he's getting closer all the time :). He is still saying he feels unwell, so hopefully he will get some sleep on the flight.

DS3 was very tired when he had to wake up for college after his late shift last night, so he will sleep well tonight.

DH and I are just unwinding now, but I know we'll wake up at 5.30am to check DS2's plane has landed safely :o.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure