Buying a phone from Aliexpress

Options
2»

Comments

• d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I bought an Ulefone T1 was from the !!!8216;Official Ulefone Store!!!8217; on Aliexpress

Unfortunately after only 4 months use (in the included protective case) I had to put the offered one year warranty to the test when the screen stopped lighting up.

This was not my phone as it was when it was sent back, but how could I prove this - I had neglected to take pictures of the condition of the phone as I was preparing it to be sent off.

the Consumer Credit Act didn!!!8217;t cover me.

I tried to go back through Aliexpress to open a !!!8216;dispute!!!8217; but was now outside the allowed time to do so and this proved fruitless.

Buying a phone from China is a bit like gambling, you bet on red and unfortunately when the ball stopped spinning it landed on black.

That's just how it is when you gamble, sometimes you win and sometimes you lose...
    ====
  • Jaymie_kate
    Options
    Ali express isn't really a site or online store where you buy mobile phones. It's a store for any other tiny bit of merchandise but not for mobile phones. Plus if you buy from them you'd expect a unit made and produced from them. Who wants that?
  • Zandy_23
    Zandy_23 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Never a good idea to get phones from online stores much more from china based sites. Pursuing a claim from a purchased merchandise is easy if it doesn't cost that much. The risk is just too high and you are not even sure if the seller is a registered distributor or just selling class a products.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    Zandy_23 wrote: »
    Never a good idea to get phones from online stores

That part is rubbish. You get the same phone plus a right to cancel and not all stores are based abroad.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very true, I've successfully bought new mobile phones from Amazon.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you think Amazon is 100% safe then maybe you should checkout how many Chinese sellers use it and claim they are UK based.

Im sure there are threads where buyers purchased items from UK sellers on Amazon and asked to return to China.

Cannot remember what Amazona stance is on that though, but having issues months later may muddy the waters.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    Options
    If you think Amazon is 100% safe then maybe you should checkout how many Chinese sellers use it and claim they are UK based.

Im sure there are threads where buyers purchased items from UK sellers on Amazon and asked to return to China.

Cannot remember what Amazona stance is on that though, but having issues months later may muddy the waters.

This started with a sweeping statement that you should avoid purchasing on-line. What you choose to purchase and who from is what actually matters. It is ridiculous - and in many instances poor advice - to suggest avoiding on-line transactions when in reality they are usually safer and cheaper.

It's like suggesting the opposite because some people will buy face-to-face from disreputable outfits.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Note that I said I'd only bought from Amazon, I wouldn't trust Market Place or eBay for such a purchase
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure