What's the diference, external hard drive?

Options
I am looking to buy a portable external hard drive, but don't know much about the technical side of them. Can someone tell me what's the difference between these two? It will be used with my MacBook Air so in needs to be compatible with it. I will be grateful for any help given.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/seagate-backup-plus-ultra-slim-portable-hard-drive-2-tb-platinum-10156301-pdt.html

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/external-hard-drives/seagate-backup-plus-portable-hard-drive-2-tb-red-21862391-pdt.html
The best things in life are for FREE!!!
If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    One is thinner than the other. They will both work with your computer.
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I am assuming that you are buying from Currys only because these two drives are fairly cheap. Do not expect knowledgeable technical support and avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...
  • MissG_2
    MissG_2 Posts: 869 Forumite
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    One is thinner than the other. They will both work with your computer.

Thanks for your help.

Is that the only difference, the size?
    John_Gray wrote: »
    I am assuming that you are buying from Currys only because these two drives are fairly cheap. Do not expect knowledgeable technical support and avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...

Thanks for your help.

Yeah, from currys. That's the cheapest price I have found and I can get £5 off with a promotional code.

I already have the slim portable in 500GB. I use the 500GB a lot to store my craft SVG files on, the one I want to buy will be replacing a desktop (can't remember the make) hard drive that I already have, but the connection had gone loose on it. It's the connection from the hard drive end to the laptop that has gone loose, if I move the connection it will connect then. It has years worth of photos and different files on it which I hope that I can transfer onto the new one.

I'm wanting a portable this time to save space, having to dig it out, set it up by plugging it in and then connecting it each time
    If you like what you see and find this info useful, please use the thanks button. It costs nothing and means so much.
  • MissG_2
    Options
    John_Gray wrote: »
    avoid being 'upsold' to something more expensive...

There's no chance of that, I will be getting it online. I'm getting one of these, but I just wanted to know for sure exactly what the difference was
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    If you want to know more about the differences I would head over to the Seagate website.
  • MissG_2
    Options
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    Options
    Bit cheaper at Argos
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    'Backup Plus' as far as I'm aware is what Seagate use to designate an SMR drive (they initially used the badge 'Archive'), this is a technology which increases the data density but reduces random read/write performance:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/lacie-porsche-chrome-hdd-usb-c,news-52078.html

It should be suitable for standard file storage though.

John
  • Joes_nana
    Joes_nana Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    on a similar note, although o can't help the op. I was wondering something similar myself.

I have a Seagate 1 tb external HD which works just fine. but my significant other half said there's a disk one and a ? something else one and the disk one eventually wears out and corrupts. is this right ?

if so which is best and what's it called?

thanks. joesnana
  • John_Gray
    John_Gray Posts: 5,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Joes_nana wrote: »
    I have a Seagate 1 tb external HD which works just fine. but my significant other half said there's a disk one and a ? something else one and the disk one eventually wears out and corrupts. is this right ?

if so which is best and what's it called?
    I think you are going to have to reword that in more intelligible English, since I for one haven't got a clue what you mean! :huh:

Unless you're talking about the relative expected life of an external USB hard drive compared with a USB Flash Drive...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure