Debt Free By 2020

Comments

• Thank you. I was nice to start the week on a positive note.

Sadly I am now in hospital suffering from chest pain. Waiting to see a doctor.
    Emergency Fund: £300.01/£1000 (30%) March NST: 2/18 NSDs
    Tesco Loan: £3,877/£5000 Barclaycard: £3149.99/£3169.79
  • MeenaM
    MeenaM Posts: 320 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    First , hope it all goes well at the hospital and you can come home, secondly very well done on the debt reduction getting into those numbers should keep you motivated congrats
    paid off £27,527.47 debt free journey began Nov 2017 DEBT FREE 13.09.2019!! EF £3500/£5000
  • Thanks lovely. I am waiting for the results of my bloods right now. Hopefully get home soon! Palpitations showed up on my ECG. Fingers crossed it’s just that.
  • Home sweet home! Out of the hospital and everything is fine. I had ectopic heartbeats - probably due to my medication. Not dangerous but not pleasant. At least it's not dangerous. I went to Stoke Mandeville and was pleasantly surprised at the level of care I received. It's got a hideously bad reputation - it's under 'special measures.' I was given an ECG on a bed that had a condemned sign on it. I was in and out within 3 hours which is a record for me. All of the staff were wonderful.

However...

When I am stressed or feeling unwell, I spend money. Today, I spent £20 without even thinking about it. All on junk food. I need to get a hang of curbing emotional spending - any tips?

In other news, a lot of my bills are now paid. Everything in the four walls category is paid: rent, council tax, and gas/elec. I don't need to pay water until next month. Minimum payments on my debts are done. The entertainment category still needs to be paid - mobile bill, Netflix etc. I am looking good but I need to be careful. I am feeling proud though - I would usually be in overdraft by now.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Oh no, I hope you're ok :( Keep us posted.
  • debtfreeby2020_3
    debtfreeby2020_3 Posts: 94 Forumite
    edited 5 March 2018 at 9:00PM
    I am sure I will be fine hun. Got dinner on the stove and I am packing my work bag. Deviated from the meal plan ever so slightly. Having Swedish meatballs in gravy with some mini roast potatoes and cabbage I found in the freezer. I couldnt be bothered to make mash.
  • Lilith1980
    Lilith1980 Posts: 2,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post

When I am stressed or feeling unwell, I spend money. Today, I spent £20 without even thinking about it. All on junk food. I need to get a hang of curbing emotional spending - any tips?

Glad you're back home! I think I must have posted just after you did.

I'm very emotionally driven - with "stuff" and with food. I've likened it to cigarette cravings - I gave up smoking 9 years ago this year and I remember two weeks in having his horrible 20 minutes where I would have ripped someone's head off for a cigarette.

When I'm stressed, I often get an overwhelming emotional "need" to either eat food, get a drink (although this is much less rare than it used to be), or buy something I don't need. I can feel really uncomfortable too. If I wait it out long enough, like I did with the cigarettes, then the craving dies down and I can let it go.

I don't know if that helps??
  • Lilith1980 wrote: »
    Glad you're back home! I think I must have posted just after you did.

I'm very emotionally driven - with "stuff" and with food. I've likened it to cigarette cravings - I gave up smoking 9 years ago this year and I remember two weeks in having his horrible 20 minutes where I would have ripped someone's head off for a cigarette.

When I'm stressed, I often get an overwhelming emotional "need" to either eat food, get a drink (although this is much less rare than it used to be), or buy something I don't need. I can feel really uncomfortable too. If I wait it out long enough, like I did with the cigarettes, then the craving dies down and I can let it go.

I don't know if that helps??

As an ex-smoker I understand completely. I think I best keep an emergency snack in my bag or something. It’s not breaking the cycle but may help me short term. You are right, the cravings do die down but my willpower collapses if the situation is too much.
  • Morning my lovelies!

Back to work today to face the Spanish Inquisition. My employer is incredibly invasive when it comes to my illnesses. Over a year ago, I had to take six weeks off work because of the way they were mishandling my epilepsy. I ended up depressed and paranoid. Thankfully they have calmed down but I will never forgive them for that. No doubt I will get 100 questions when I walk through the door.

My mind is now occupied with a big question. My husband and I have just renewed our tenancy for six months. Usually we extend by a year but we are being cautious. I am trying to find a new job, partly because of the problems outlined above. I have a few applications that I am waiting for decisions on - a couple in the UK and one in America. If we have to move I want the costs of getting out of a tenancy to be as low as possible. But...if these job applications don!!!8217;t work out, my in laws think we should buy our first home. They have offered to cover the deposit and the moving costs associated with it. I have done a speculative !!!8216;how much can I borrow!!!8217; calculation, taking into account our day to day living costs and current level of debt. We would be more than able to afford a two bedroom flat in our area and the mortgage *could be* £300 less than what we are paying on rent. What do you guys think? I know that Dave Ramsey would say !!!8216;no you!!!8217;re broke.!!!8217; The truth is, I!!!8217;m not broke. I am paying my debts with a little money leftover at the end of the month.. I am, of course, planning to put this toward debt. My husband also has money leftover that he doesn!!!8217;t give to me (and my plans for dealing with that are outlined in the budget post). I can see my in laws logic but I am a bit conflicted. There are savings to be made and if it!!!8217;s a new build flat, it has a 10 year guarantee. I also want to get out of debt quickly. Arghhh!
  • Hi,

Just read through your thread. Im similar age but my debts came from doing up a house and then splitting from hubby.

Re sim only I got a good deal with ee as thats my only internet (no phone line) its about £21 but does have 20gb, this was through a sale so keep an eye out.

Good luck with the debt busting!!
    Iv been looking into going back to do a masters its the financing of it thats stopping me at the moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure