Cold Weather Payment Timescale

Hey everyone. :)

I'm eligible for Cold Weather Payments and the checker says that our area has had 1 period I can claim for.

I know the website says payments will be made within 14 days. Does anyone know whether it tends to be at the earlier or later end of that timescale, please?

We're having to have the heating on more and already live on a strict budget so just want to factor this payment in when paying my gas bill.

Thanks in advance.
2019 Wins
1/25

£2019 in 2019
£10/£2019

Comments

• paragon909
    paragon909 Posts: 1,498 Forumite

I'm eligible for Cold Weather Payments and the checker says that our area has had 1 period I can claim for.

I know the website says payments will be made within 14 days. Does anyone know whether it tends to be at the earlier or later end of that timescale, please?

We're having to have the heating on more and already live on a strict budget so just want to factor this payment in when paying my gas bill.

Thanks in advance.

Whatever the DWP website says, Will be accurate. Just use £25 from another budget and replace with the cold weather payment...

Lucky you, Here in the KA20 area, West coast of Scotland we got nothing :( and it's been just as cold as everywhere else.
  • They tend to be fairly quick IIRC
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 6:14PM
    Been getting a bit worried as I am normally very sparing with heating due to finances but in this weather even wearing jumpers hasn't been sufficient. Had one of my dogs shivering (badly timed grooming), keep covering him with a blanket but the blessed mutt won't stay still lol. So have had central heating on a LOT more than usual.

Just learned we qualify this week (been checking it since yesterday morning).., so that will help. Huge relief.

Fortunately i get DLA next week so already decided to use that to cover this month's extra fuel bill. But I have been finding more and more that I am having to use the DLA just to cover normal expenses so not necessarily going to help. Normally I spend £5 to £10 a week on gas, so I know its going to be more like £25 this week.

So very relieved. Don't care when it arrives, as long as it does. I am due to get the warm home discount too but that WILL be delayed because I've changed from a prepayment meter to a credit meter.

Also gotta replace letter box (get one with flap and brushes). Just didn't realise the effect the broken letter box has on the house temperature - only lived here for six months. Going to be looking at one very draughty window too.
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,312
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 7:00PM
    I was just curious how this is all worked out.

An elderly relative of mine lives in the Ilford IG postcode area - which is not getting a payment yet this week. But her friend a few streets away is covered by a Romford RM postcode and qualifies.

Seemingly the Romford area is covered by the weather station in Gravesend - 30 miles away across the Thames in Kent. Ilford - and most of the rest of east London - is covered by the weather station at Heathrow on completely the other side of London (which also covers central and west London and south east London) where the weather has not been as cold. Heathrow is in a warmer built up area - Gravesend is on the Thames Estuary - and neither reflects the weather on the ground where my relative and her friend live.

The weather has been just a cold in Ilford as Romford - but residents of the latter qualify because the weather stations used are different and 30 miles away in opposite directions. An area that borders both - RM4 covering Abridge/Hainault forest etc - is measured from a station far away near Stansted. Its barmy - these areas are essentially one built up area.

If the Met office can produce different forecasts for even small towns - why doesnt the cold weather payment system reflect that too?
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They've changed it then because barking used to come on to Heathrow while Dagenham came under stanstead.

Was a lot of fast one year because Stansted paid out more often than Heathrow and so they change Dagenham to Heathrow as well.

That was about 20 years ago so quite possibly they've changed it again since/B]
  • Rich2808
    Rich2808 Posts: 1,312
    Forumite
    edited 2 March 2018 at 8:30PM
    Nannytone wrote: »
    They've changed it then because barking used to come on to Heathrow while Dagenham came under stanstead.

Was a lot of fast one year because Stansted paid out more often than Heathrow and so they change Dagenham to Heathrow as well.

That was about 20 years ago so quite possibly they've changed it again since/B]

Dagenham (RM) is now measured by reference to Gravesend - Barking (IG) by reference to Heathrow. Same borough - two different weather stations no where near either. Poor people in Dagenham get payments poor people in Barking dont. In Redbridge borough residents of Chadwell Heath (RM) get payments but those in Goodmayes and Newbury park (next door) do not as they are IG. The boundary between IG and RM literally runs down the middle of small side roads.

Barking indeed - a complete postcode lottery!

Given the appalling weather this week nationally could we not just give £25 to everyone who meets the low income/benefits eligibility whereever they live as a special case?
  • GaleSF63
    GaleSF63 Posts: 1,535
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    paragon909 wrote: »

Lucky you, Here in the KA20 area, West coast of Scotland we got nothing :( and it's been just as cold as everywhere else.

I'm 40 to 50 miles north of you and we share the same weather station (Bishopton).

Between here and Bishopton it can be like two different climates sometimes.
  • elle_may
    elle_may Posts: 396
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite

Thanks in advance.
    My W station is Albemarle NE and received a payment on the 20 Dec. The date's were 14 Dec to 16 Dec so pretty quick Looked on Gov website and we are due another one as two have been issued. It is a godsend in this weather.
  • Cyclamen
    Cyclamen Posts: 641
    Forumite
    I am new to all this.

It doesn't seem the fairest system as surely they could go off local temperatures?

Anyway how does the payment happen? Is it paid into the bank that the benefit (IS in our case) goes into?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,846
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Cyclamen wrote: »
    I am new to all this.

It doesn't seem the fairest system as surely they could go off local temperatures?

Anyway how does the payment happen? Is it paid into the bank that the benefit (IS in our case) goes into?
    It paid seperate to the benefit and has CWP next to it. IS alone won't qualify you for the CWP.

You’ll usually get Cold Weather Payments if you get Income Support or income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance and have any of the following:
    • a disability or pensioner premium
    • a child who is disabled
    • Child Tax Credit that includes a disability or severe disability element
    • a child under 5 living with you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business