PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Really healthy eating on a budget

Comments

• I am GF too Ploppy 57 but look for naturally GF food. Most cultures have gluten free foods so experiment with almond based cakes from Italy or polenta cakes or buckwheat flatbreads from France. All REAL and extremely tasty too :) Try and avoid the expensive processed food where you can. Your IBS will thank you and so will your pocket :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think besan flour is just gram or chickpea flour. Quite cheap. Good flatbread recipe on BBC site.
    I like Michael Mosley's gf brownies - made with ground almonds and an aubergine!
  • JennyP wrote: »
    I think besan flour is just gram or chickpea flour. Quite cheap. Good flatbread recipe on BBC site.
    I like Michael Mosley's gf brownies - made with ground almonds and an aubergine!
    Gram flour is indeed chickpea flour and almonds make a great base for brownies. I've never used aubergines but each to their own. Prunes and chocolate are nice additions for brownies :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Ooh thanks for that Doingitanyway and JennyP. Will look into this. The brownies sound good. I am trying to eat a few more Prunes as been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and apparently 6 prunes a day are good due to the boron content. At the moment though I find about 3 or 4 is my limit or my IBS rebels....:rotfl: If its not one thing its another...LOL
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Sir_Robin wrote: »
    Well I can tell you how to spend a fortune for one person then maybe you'll feel better about the £20!

I am trying the same to eat healthy and cheap but strictly no gluten for medical reasons.
    I'm working to get a handle on my food spending which was completely unmonitored and am working on a weekly food plan unfortunately it's too high. Here my last bill:

1 Aleyna Red Roasted Peppers (480g) £1.40
    1 Cadbury Drinking Chocolate Hot Chocolate £2.00 (buy own brand)
    1 Genius Gluten Free Triple Seeded Sandwich Loaf £2.80 (just buy flat breads or make your own, see previous posters suggestions)
    1 M savers Red Kidney Beans (400g) £0.30
    1 Morrisons Chickpeas (300g) £0.45
    1 Morrisons Chopped Tomatoes £1.36 (one can £1.36!!!! or is that a 4 pack)
    1 Morrisons Easy Cook Basmati Rice £1.51
    1 Morrisons Ripen at Home Bananas £0.94
    1 Patak's Madras Curry Paste £2.28 (make you own curry sauce if you have the spices already)

1 Cathedral City Extra Mature Cheese £2.00
    1 Cravendale Semi Skimmed Milk £1.75
    1 M savers Cooked Chicken Pieces £2.00 (make your own)
    1 Morrisons Braeburn Apples Pack £1.40
    1 Morrisons British Turkey Meatballs £2.36 (definitely make your own)
    1 Morrisons Chicken Breast Fillets £5.94
    1 Morrisons Free Range Eggs Large £1.97
    1 Morrisons Market St British Minced Beef 12 % Fat £2.87
    2 Morrisons Mixed Chillies £1.00
    2 Morrisons Salad Onions £1.00
    1 Morrisons Single Cream £1.00
    1 Morrisons Spinach £1.18
    1 bag onions £1
    Fresh tomatoes 70p

Essentially two chicken with Spinach meals,two turkey meatballs with veg sauce, large curry and large chilli con carne. Fruit and chicken sanwidges.

I realise fourty quid is more like a months food for a lot of people on here so I'm open to suggestions :j

I also definitely recommend going to Aldi or Lidl and stop buying pre-prepped food. See comments in red. Their meat and veg are a lot cheaper. Do you have any other shops nearby. Did you put that shop into MySupermarket to see where it might be cheaper in the big 4?

I can also recommend using frozen food (meat, fruit, veg), as it's straight from farm to freezer it's sometimes even fresher. Definitely easier to portion and keeps.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • JennyP
    JennyP Posts: 1,067 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ploppy57 wrote: »
    Ooh thanks for that Doingitanyway and JennyP. Will look into this. The brownies sound good. I am trying to eat a few more Prunes as been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and apparently 6 prunes a day are good due to the boron content. At the moment though I find about 3 or 4 is my limit or my IBS rebels....:rotfl: If its not one thing its another...LOL

Didn't know that! Maybe I should eat them as I am on steroid tablets pretty much permanently which can reduce bone density.
  • System
    JennyP wrote: »
    Didn't know that! Maybe I should eat them as I am on steroid tablets pretty much permanently which can reduce bone density.

I joined a FB group called Osteoporosis Natural Remedies. I have learnt so much. I refused medication and want to increase density naturally
  • I know this post has been quiet a while but the name of flatbread made with chickpea flour is socca and there are loads of recipes online.
    And whilst this isn't a cheap recipe this cake recipe is naturally gluten free as long as you watch the baking powder.
    It won't let me post a link. Fine cooking website orange and almond cake by Claudia roden
    It is a faff as you boil oranges for a couple of hours and almond flour isn't the cheapest ( better priced in aldi) but this has real cake texture and no one I served it to could tell that it was gf.
    My brother is coeliac and he loved it as a treat.
    As for cheap healthy food I have an aldi and a lidl near me and I check out the veg offers ahead of time and then do a brief menu plan in my head. They are also often cheaper for things like quinoa which is great when gf used in salads for work ect.
    I also eat a lot less meat but I'm not gf myself, just aware for others.
    Eggs, cheap protein that are versatile and delicious!
  • System
    I know this post has been quiet a while but the name of flatbread made with chickpea flour is socca and there are loads of recipes online.
    And whilst this isn't a cheap recipe this cake recipe is naturally gluten free as long as you watch the baking powder.
    It won't let me post a link. Fine cooking website orange and almond cake by Claudia roden
    It is a faff as you boil oranges for a couple of hours and almond flour isn't the cheapest ( better priced in aldi) but this has real cake texture and no one I served it to could tell that it was gf.
    My brother is coeliac and he loved it as a treat.
    As for cheap healthy food I have an aldi and a lidl near me and I check out the veg offers ahead of time and then do a brief menu plan in my head. They are also often cheaper for things like quinoa which is great when gf used in salads for work ect.
    I also eat a lot less meat but I'm not gf myself, just aware for others.
    Eggs, cheap protein that are versatile and delicious!

Thanks for that. I agree about eggs. I love eggs in all types....just wish OH would eat them as well. The only way he will eat an egg is fried and then he only eats the yolk. He hates egg white with a passion and even says he can taste it if I make an omelette.:rotfl:
  • I think I'd cry if that happened to me! I can eat eggs forever. I also forgot polenta, it's great as a stodge part of meals and if you keep it in a flattish container the next day you can cut it into slices and then bake or fry it to serve with things. I love it with a spicy tomato and vegetable sauce on top.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure