Redundancy Forthcoming Op

Hi i have worked for a large company for a long time and have recently been placed on notice of possible redundancy. I am likely to choose Voluntary Redundancy. However i am due to have an operation , if all goes well there will be an overnight stay and back to work the next day. however what happens if there is an extended recovery period , i have been warned i could have 6 months of issues which would mean i would be unable to work or seek new work. If this happens during my notice period would they extend it ?

Comments

• sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Hi i have worked for a large company for a long time and have recently been placed on notice of possible redundancy. I am likely to choose Voluntary Redundancy. However i am due to have an operation , if all goes well there will be an overnight stay and back to work the next day. however what happens if there is an extended recovery period , i have been warned i could have 6 months of issues which would mean i would be unable to work or seek new work. If this happens during my notice period would they extend it ?
    No, they wouldn't. Your notice period is your notice period, whether in work, sick, on holiday or whatever. It remains the same length of time. Your period of sickness, if you have one, should not change anything about the redundancy situation, whether voluntary or compulsory.

You didn't mention what the op is, but take some advice - take at least two days off after it even if all is well. You have no idea how much even a small op whacks your body out of kilter, and taking a few days to recuperate and rest helps it to rebuild the immune system so that you don't fall prey to any old bug lurking around the place :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure