Cashback Price Comparison Services Discussion

Options

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Simon,

By the way, when you did your comparisons, did you include Servista?
    If not then please post your consumption figures here and tell me what region you are in (for electricity) and I will be happy to do a comparison for you.

I am prepared to present the figures on here for everyone to see WHATEVER the result.

I can't say fairer than that can I?
  • leosayer39
    Options
    Hi all,

This post details my experience regarding comparison services.

Firstly, I would advise that I am a British Gas Dual Fooly.
    I live in the North West of England
    My gas usesage is 14000 units
    My electricity useage is 7500 units

I have only just finished inputting my details on the websites of four comparison services, namely,

Energylinx
    Uswitch
    Saveonyourbills
    Energyhelpline

I wanted the search results to show me all available tarriffs.

The results are as follows,

Energylinx[/i]
    You are now only five clicks away from saving £120

Telecom Plus  Electricity and Gasplus - High 594(cost£)   120 17%(savings£ and %)
    ScottishPower  Online Energy - No Standing Charge 629(cost£),   86 12% (savings £ and %)
    ScottishPower  Online Energy - Standard 629(cost£),   85 12%(savings £ and %)
    Telecom Plus  Electricity and Gasplus - Std 630(cost£),   84 12%(savings £ and %)
    Atlantic Electric & Gas  Direct 639(cost£),   75 11%(savings £ and %)
    Atlantic Electric & Gas  Direct - NSC 639(cost£),   75 11%(savings £ and %)
    ScottishPower  No Standing Charge 644(cost£),   70 10%(savings £ and %)
    ScottishPower  Standard 645(cost£),   70 10%(savings £ and %)
    Virgin Home Energy  Dual Fuel 646(cost£),   69 10%(savings £ and %)

Uswitch
    Manweb  Online Energy Dual Fuel  £85.56(savings),      £628.70(calculated annual price)      
      Manweb  Online Energy Dual Fuel No Standing Charge  £85.55(savings),      £628.70(calculated annual price)      
     Manweb  Dual Fuel  £69.81(savings),      £644.45(calculated annual price)      
     Manweb  No Standing Charge Dual Fuel  £69.80(savings),      £644.45(calculated annual price)      
     Virgin HomeEnergy  Dual Fuel  £68.63(savings),      £645.62(calculated annual price)
      SEEBOARD Energy  Dual Fuel  £51.42(savings),      £662.83(calculated annual price)      
     SWEB Energy  Premier No Standing Charge  £49.09(savings),      £665.17(calculated annual price)
    London Energy  Premier No Standing Charge  £49.09(savings),      £665.17(calculated annual price)

Saveonyourbills
    Dual Fuel Savings  

Atlantic Direct  638.73(annual cost),   75.52   10.5(savings £ and %)
     ScottishPower.co.uk  639.18(annual cost),   75.07   10.5(savings £ and %)
     Virgin Energy  645.69(annual cost),   68.56   9.5(savings £ and %)
     Powergen Energy Online  684.59(annual cost),   29.66   4.1(savings £ and %)

Energyhelpline,
    (won't let me copy and paste so I'll just post the top two,)

The top two are both scottish power online, however one, is the no standing charge tarriff. They both offer savings of between £92.00 and £93.00, (a saving of 13%).

Hmmm, methinks confusion abounds

[move]Leo  :)  :)[/move]
    Dont you just love freshly congealed pigs blood, with a bit of fat in :D
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Leo

You are exactly right,confusion abounds and thats exactly what the power companies want.
    I`m with Pgen for gas and electric,east midlands area.
    I will once again ask this question and see if I can get an answer,maybe from the Teleplus "experts".
    If you input exactly the same information into each comparison website,why do they come up with completely different providers,like has just happened to you,Leo?
    Surely with the same imformation they should all come up with the same power provider and the same saving.
    The truth of the matter is they are being paid by these companies to promote them.
    I`m sticking with Pgen because I know the precise cost of each unit I`m using,unlike the likes of Teleplus who seem to be very vague about the exact cost and even what tarriff your`re on and their hidden "membership" fees.
  • COS
    COS Posts: 550 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Having taken all in to account ie: poor customer service from Atlantic, Virgin ,Scotttish Power and false promises from Simply Energy I collected my thoughts over the xmas break and finally plumped for TP although TP did'nt get back to me as they promised MarkE did, thank you MarkE.

I am fed up with being conned and scammed by these utility comparison sites offering bribes of which now come out of the wood work with explanations of why they are giving false info thanks to Martin getting on there case. For the past year one person has kept to the same form and that was MarkE, who just happens to still be around to give info, so MarkE you can have my business.

Chris  
    Rememember. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
    Never pass up an opportunity to go to the bathroom.
    If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You get another chance. And finally, be really nice to your family and friends; you never know
    when, You might need them to empty your bedpan.
  • leosayer39
    Options
    Hi all,

Alared,
    Hi, seems like this is another subject close to our hearts as well as Fast 4.
    I think that you are right in stating that the power companies are quite happy keeping us all in a state of confusion.
    I have, over the past few months, used the conversion websites very regularly to try and keep up with the latest tariffs, (must remember 1 r and not 2). The results have changed often, probably as often as the companies in question alter their rates.
    At one stage Atlantic was the cheapest for some considerable time.

Now I will comment about TP and Mark E.

I have, seperately to the above, paid particular regard to the TP tariffs and true to form they have indeed usually been the cheapest.

However at one stage they did have a £30.00 tie in fee, which, according to Martin they have now suspended.
    As you can see from my above post they are once again cheaper, by a long way, than any other provider.

I am going to have a look through their terms and conditions for anything that looks out of the ordinary. (Don't really look forward to that, but someone has to do it). If I find nothing I will probably transfer my business to them

I would point out that it was me, doing the above, that found and brought the £30.00 tie in fee to Martin's attention in the first instance. (at least I think it was)

Now, I have also from time to time pm'd Mark E with the odd question and comment regarding TP. I can say that he has been more than helpful in his replies and has NEVER tried to persuade me to transfer my business.

As COS says in his post

For the past year one person has kept to the same form and that was MarkE, who just happens to still be around to give info

I wholeheartdly agree with Cos's comments and therefore when I have satisfied myself that I am ready to transfer my business I will probably give it to TP. If I do take this course of action I will definitely transfer via Mark E

[move]Leo :):)[/move]
  • alared
    alared Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all,
    Leo

I am with Pgen and I know precisely the amount I pay for each unit of off peak and normal rate electricity and precisely the rate for each unit of gas I use.
    I also know the standing charge for the gas and electricity and also the rebate I receive each quarter for paying by DD.In other words I know clearly where I stand.
    This is not the case with TP who seem very vague even about which tariffyou may be on,in fact after visiting their website it seems you may be on one tariff one month and a different one the next!
    If one of the TP sellers would like to state the exactprice for each unit and all the other charges that are levied,clearly and precisely, they may stand a chance of being believed as "the cheapest power providers in the UK".
    Leo,unfortunately they won`t produce that information, but try to bamboozle you with other figures.
    As regards you being with BG I can understand you wanting a move,why don`t you try Pgen online duel fuel tariff,go direct to their website and get the facts.
  • leosayer39
    Options
    Hi all,

Alared,

Thanks for the tip regarding Powergen, I'll go and have a look later.

With regard to the fact that you know precisely your power useage I would also confirm that I know mine.

Unfortunately for Mrs Sayer I keep all bills, bank statements, in fact everything to do with money. (you wanna see our loft ;D ;D). I also keep manual spreadsheets which at a glance show me the units I have used, their cost and the total amount payable. (I know I should use the computer but I enjoy the challenge of writing and balancing everything up)

I will take your advice and look at TP in a lot more detail before converting. After all I'm not in any hurry.

I must state however that the savings offered by TP are very tempting (£100 + per anum). Very tempting indeed.

One more thing, because I keep everything, Mrs Sayer will approve of anything that cuts our mountain of paperwork.

• leosayer39
    Options
    Hi all,

Alared,

Just had a look at the Powergen webby and the can offer me the grand sum of, wait for it,

By switching to Powergen EnergyOnline you'll save £25.68 each year and receive 1 Tesco Clubcard point for every £1 you spend with us. Plus you'll enjoy the convenience of having OneBill, one Direct Debit payment and 24 hour secure online access, putting you in complete control of your account.

What can I say, except tight b******s

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems to me that everyone is going around in circles with the Telecom Plus tariffs.

Why don't you take the simplest route and have a look at Energylinx.

They list every single gas and electricity contract. If you want to see the complete breakdown you only need to click on the price breakdown button beside each price.

And what's more you can change to Telecom Plus through them, I moved via Energylinx to Telecom Plus in October and have been with Telecom Plus now for nearly two months.

To date everything Energylinx said has happened and yes everyone, they beat every other tariff out there for me and the price I was shown included everything, units, standing charges, monthly warehouse charges and VAT.

I am no expert but if you look at the comparisons posted on this blog over the last few weeks at first it looks as if all the price comparisons report different figures.

This is actually not so, it just that most miss out the cheapest deals, which is really bad as the two companies paying cashback miss out the most.

It seems that Martin's recommendations are good if you want to receive a cheque for £10 but if you really want the best price then it might be better to forget them and look at a company who lists them all. Maybe Telecom Plus should put their prices up by say £30 and send out a cheque for £25 - maybe then they might stand a chance in this forum.

With due respect I believe Martin has made a mistake on this one and he should really have a good look at what is going on. The only people benefiting are the people who own these sites currently promoted on this forum.

End of rant!!!
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    OK. I've been thinking about all this recently. I accept the arguments above - though to be honest I thought I had covered off these issues in the article. Yet obviously I didn't do it effectively enough - not my intent. The information about TP is in 'Ensuring you get the cheapest' within the article

As I have no time to rewrite the article at the moment. I have added a clarification note, I hope that will do the trick and assuage anyones fears. My key is to get people to save money - it seems perhaps I could have done it better by pushing people to check Energylinx more. Hopefully my clarification note addresses that a little more.

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport