Papier Mache & other free hobbies for all ages

Comments

• Thank you Pap, you are a star :A :j ( hope you are enjoying making budget the bear!) :)
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    This sounds really bad.

After every christmas I steal other family members cards so I can take the pretty stickers etc for my homemade cards for the next year. I also steal the ribbons etc off christmas crackers!!!

You are not alone ;):D
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,449 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I shall make the prudent panda, ta for the idea. :)
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £80/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £103/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
  • nykmedia wrote: »
    I get the old cards and ribbons to make into gift tags for the following year

Before you throw any cardboard packaging away from christmas presents have a look to see if you can make any birthday gift tags out of them too, I got a couple years worth out of last years presents, things like toiletry sets have some really nice designs on sometimes. I even cut the pics out of selection boxes to make tags :o:D I also stick pics from old christmas cards onto the next years christmas card envelopes to make them look more festive. I don't (yet!) do like my mother did & iron the paper from unwrapped presents to reuse the next year! :p
  • Frugaldom
    Frugaldom Posts: 6,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    LOL I remember the days of ironing wrapping paper but it just isn't the same these days. It's all rip and tear and shiny foil. It's still ok for paper mache, though :) Good ideas for the packaging, thanks for that.

Here's another one. Does anyone collect jam jars? You get some really nice shaped ones these days and they look great if you use glass paint on them and then use them as tealight candle holders. (Candles are a must here because of winter power cuts).

I also have one of those logmakers for crushing paper into firebricks, but we live in an area where open fires are still commonplace as there's no mains gas. But I have to admit, making paper firelogs isn't the most exciting of hobbies LOL
    I reserve the right not to spend.
    The less I spend, the more I can afford.

Frugal living challenge - living on £4000 in 2024
  • Frugaldom
    Prudent wrote: »
    I shall make the prudent panda, ta for the idea. :)

I can't wait to see Prudent Panda and Bear Necessity :j

Umm... edited in... don't know where I got 'Bear Necessity' from, I meant 'Budget Bear' :rotfl:

• nykmedia wrote: »

I also have one of those logmakers for crushing paper into firebricks, but we live in an area where open fires are still commonplace as there's no mains gas. But I have to admit, making paper firelogs isn't the most exciting of hobbies LOL

Ooooh, where do you get one of those, and are they much good? Sounds like a fab idea! :beer:
    :naughty:
    OD £lots Egg Card £329.04 Parents £650 Sofa £741.78
  • Frugaldom
    I'll bore you all to tears soon with my daft passtimes but kids seem to like them. This one is an adult supervised one for making hanging mobiles.

I save the metal tubes from tomato puree! Don't buy the plastic coated ones as they don't work for this :D

If you carefully cut off the top and the sealed edge at the bottom then cut the long edge you can open these out and they look like copper or brass inside. Use a blunt pencil and draw your shape on the printed side with enough pressure that the pattern goes right through and is embossed on the gold side. I made half a dozen seahorses last time. Once you have the shapes you can cut them out and emboss the details into them from the reverse/printed side and once completed, suspend them with thread from something like an old shower curtain ring or similar. Even make a loop (a slice from an old washing up liquid bottle has been used before, too). You can paint over the print before hanging them and they look quite nice. Use same method for making card embellishments etc.:D

• Prudent Panda. love it.
    I am one of the 63336.
    His Grace Lord Stunty the Coherent of Deep Throcking

'It is better to have lived one day as a tiger than a thousand years as a sheep.'
  • Frugaldom
    Milly1974 wrote: »
    Ooooh, where do you get one of those, and are they much good? Sounds like a fab idea! :beer:

Just do a search online for logmakers and there are loads. There are 2 main types, the simple tubular one and the metal one, which I got after requesting it as a really exciting (they thought I was mad) Christmas pressie. The metal one looks a bit like the old fashioned potato chippers! Perhaps you could adapt one if you have one or see one at a carboot sale or charity shop? No promises on that one, though :rotfl:

I can promise that the home made 'logs' burn really well and for quite some time. Brilliant if your hot water heats off your fire! You can add dried vegetable waste or wood shavings etc, whatever is safe for burning and carbon neutral :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport