PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2019 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Smoosh
    Smoosh Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    £39.56 weekly shop today.

House plant (YS), soup (YS), 2 yoghurts (YS), tomatoes (YS), 2 packs of melon (YS), salad pot (YS), 2 bread rolls (YS), loaf of bread (YS), 2 Portuguese custard tarts (YS), 4 pints of milk, pack of Quorn chicken, tub of Greek yoghurt, block of cheddar, 1/2 cucumber, raspberries, a lettuce, 1 banana, beansprouts, 2 baking potatoes, premade mash, pad Thai kit, 4 tins of baked beans, 1 tin of spaghetti, caesar dressing, croutons, 6 eggs, babybels, 3 jelly pots, 6 litres Pepsi max, 2 litres lemonade, 2 alcohol free ciders, fabric softener, biological detergent and fabric whitener.

Think we did pretty well considering some unnecessary purchases (plant and cider).

Meal plan for the week:
    1. Pies (Quorn for me, steak for OH) with mash, peas, broccoli and asparagus
    2. Pad Thai
    3. Jacket potatoes with beans for OH and spaghetti for me
    4. Caesar salad with Quorn chicken
    5. Spaghetti with vegetarian sausages

We're away Friday and Saturday evening and meals with be kindly provided by my parents :)

For lunches I'll be having salads and soups as usual! Breakfasts will be yoghurt or overnight oats. And for snacks this week we have raspberries, banana, jelly, pistachios, crisps, fibre bars, rice cakes and cheese.

We have £256.44 left :)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Good morning All

Elsiepac, please amend my budget for June to £130. Many thanks. Amazingly, we managed to finish May with £10 left.

I have two spends to declare from yesterday: £8.70 in the farm shop and £10.37 spent in MrT's. We were disappointed to note that the long running Yeo Valley yoghurt 2-for-£2 offer for the big pots seems to have disappeared from MrT. A$da used to have it too, so we'll check them out later in the week and stock up if possible.

Part of the spend at the farm shop was on 2 bags of broad beans.
    They've been shelled, blanched and are now in the freezer. However, the most noticeable thing was that they'd nearly run out of broccoli. The weird weather we had earlier this year has made it bolt.

The above spend brings our total for June to £19.07/£130, leaving £110.93 for the rest of the month. We've got a big shop on the horizon - probably on Thursday - so a large proportion of that will disappear then.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Morning all,

Went shopping on Saturday and really happy with how much I spent, £14.97 spent for the week. I've decided that I am going to try and get my store cupboards down as I have load's of stuff I am just not using/will probably never use and I actually want to get a "pantry" together that I will actually use so it's either being used or it's being forfeited, hence the low shop.

We also went out on Saturday to have a walk around the motorbikes on the prom and treated ourselves to dinner out so that was a spend of £9.70. I think we'll be doing the same thing tonight and Friday maybe. We're creatures of habit so will be having the same both times :rotfl:. Also think I might be doing a quick shop for some picnic items as we are going to be on the mountain all day Friday watching the races and want to make sure we have everything we'd need. :)

So far its £24.67 // £200 (£175.33) left to spend.
  • Nothing spent yet but I don't think it will last! :rotfl:
    Gone on a health kick now so I will be spending more on fruit and vegetables- this means a lot more planning as I intend to have no waste, it's going to be an interesting month ;)
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Starting the month with £18.26 split between Lidl and Aldi.

Mostly fruit and veg, and enough bread/fillings to make a months worth of freezer sandwiches.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Afternoon all

Hoping to keep track of my spends better this month so £30.89 to declare.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • chirpychick
    chirpychick Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 June 2019 at 5:58PM
    I forgot to come back and write down our spend but basically on week 1 I had £30 carried over so only spent £20. Then this week which lasts until Thursday I have now only got £8.87 left. We went to the market on Saturday to try their fruit and veg and I feel so upset because the carrots which are now 2 days post purchase, desperately need using up! Some of the potatoes have had to be thrown out (and i'm somebody who generally will use veg months later). The berries are almost gone bad too, my son wont eat the blueberries as he says they are bad :( so I spent £20 on this stuff and whilst i can give my chickens some and dogs, some has had to be thrown or can't be used for what I wanted. I wont be making this mistake again! However, I have a horrible sore throat and cough so I will make carrot soup tomorrow. I'm lucky in that I do have a store cupboard which we have been using. But I will be doing an order with Tesco for delivery this week (already pay delivery saver) in order to not end up in the same position next week.
    Also we spent about £30 in Morrisons on a whim :( ice cream, ice lollies, crisps, chocolate and bread! I would love to say this is rare but it's not. But now I see how easily it is to spend £30 here and there! I shouldn't have allowed that. But I have to admit the cold stuff is a godsend right now!
    Everything is always better after a cup of tea
  • Merlin's_Beard
    Merlin's_Beard Posts: 1,427 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Lots of fresh starts this month, good luck to everyone x

(Lots of ice cream buying as well :rotfl:)

£27.02/£100 to get me started for this month... I've got two weeks off but I'm not going away for many days at a time, so it's going to be a case of trying not to eat my own bodyweight in snacks.
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • Scrimps
    Scrimps Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    something has gone awry already :( I overspent in tesco by 12p on Friday monring, I was on the self service check out so asked the staff member to help me return a banana to bring myself under budget - she put 20p in the till for me :D:o which was lovely. I gave her back the 8p change for the next person who went over budget of course. I had to get a lot of the bits at tesco as aldi hadnt stacked their shelves by the time I got there at just after 8 - this may be why i went over budget. Im taking £5 from future weeks money to pay for yet more bananas and bread.

Ive got £80.45 to last us the rest of the month. I have more food in the freezer with premade broths & stews and self prepared veg than I did at the start of the month so hopefully itll be OK. The toddler has hit a really fussy phase so Im struggling to find what to give him, he used to love legumes which we have plenty of and now they seem to be all out of favour! I intend to shop my cupboards more and build a meal plan around that rather than creating a meal plan - then seeing what we have in and what else I need to get.

I struggled to get back to sleep last night and im sure its because I dont know what our income is going to be over the next few months (our payroll dept are useless) so having a good grasp of the household budgeting would really help.
  • JingsMyBucket
    JingsMyBucket Posts: 791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 3 June 2019 at 8:42PM
    Hi everyone. I’m in Scotland now and arrived last Tuesday. We’ve spent about £119.32 so far since May 28th. The mister has been dragging me around town showing me the sights so I’ve been racking up the steps on my FitBit. :rotfl: I’ll do more of an update and read everyone’s posts later tomorrow. Have a good evening all!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure