School Holidays Help

Comments

• Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    susancs wrote: »
    OP, has already stated that he does not have an issue with providing the information requested, as long as it is as the school has stated to ensure the welfare of his child.

But in reality no-one with half a brain and knowledge of the family actually has real concerns.

What it is, is the family meets the criteria set for a flag to be raised.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If the school is an extremely successful one, with a waiting list of suitable families needing places, then I can see why they are looking carefully into this case: unless you can give them a date when it is likely that your daughter will return you are successfully locking up a place which another family could use.
  • ps124
    ps124 Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hi Guys, thanks for the replies. Didn't realise there were further messages posted on this topic.

I have informed the school head at my last meeting on Friday that she will be returning this week which is within the 20 consecutive days limit so I'm assuming her place is still secure. Plus I have provided evidence there is a legitmate reason for her absence. The last thing she asked for was a plane ticket proving I was going to return before the school holidays but I'm just not going to bother with it now that her return date. The next time I will go into the school is to drop my little one off. I'm waiting to hear from them (phone call or otherwise) but still not heard anything either from the school or the educational welfare officer.

Lets see what happens over the course of the next few days.
  • ps124
    Hi Guys,

I thought this thing was finally over...but its back!

I received a letter from the the school with the following:

Please provide the school with a copy of the following documents, your airline ticket or mideical evidence to support your leave of absence by xxxx.

If you have provided us with only one of these, then we require the other one to complete our paperwork.
    If we do not hear by this date, we will proceed to the next stage which is a meeting withthe education welfare officer to determine what steps to take.

Putting my frustrations to one side, I have written the following in response. W
    ithout wanting to start an outright letter war, does this response seem adequate for the response? Please advise guys.

Dear [headteacher]
    Thank you for your letter dated 5th May 2016 requesting medical evidence and airline ticket details for [Daughter's] absence.
    As previously stated during our face to face meeting, I should not be required to provide airline ticket information - However, I have provided this directly to [person] at the school office.
    As stated to [person] at the time of submission, the paperwork contains the booking reference number and flight details – Information that is adequate for your request. I am now unclear as to why I am being repeatedly asked to provide this information again when it should not have been required in the first place.
    I have followed the required steps as per the School’s Attendance Policy and provided the medical evidence to cover the leave of absence. This is in addition to my medical bills covering the treat of [daughter], the Hospital where she was treated and Consulting Doctor's contact details (if the school wants to contact the hospital direct).

I trust this matter is now closed.

Regards, [me]
  • susancs
    susancs Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    ps124 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I thought this thing was finally over...but its back!

I received a letter from the the school with the following:

Please provide the school with a copy of the following documents, your airline ticket or mideical evidence to support your leave of absence by xxxx.

If you have provided us with only one of these, then we require the other one to complete our paperwork.
    If we do not hear by this date, we will proceed to the next stage which is a meeting withthe education welfare officer to determine what steps to take.

Putting my frustrations to one side, I have written the following in response. W
    ithout wanting to start an outright letter war, does this response seem adequate for the response? Please advise guys.

Dear [headteacher]

Thank you for your letter dated 5th May 2016 requesting medical evidence and airline ticket details for [Daughter's] absence.
    As previously stated during our face to face meeting, I should not be required to provide airline ticket information - However, I have provided this directly to [person] at the school office.
    As stated to [person] at the time of submission, the paperwork contains the booking reference number and flight details – Information that is adequate for your request. I am now unclear as to why I am being repeatedly asked to provide this information again when it should not have been required in the first place.
    I have followed the required steps as per the School’s Attendance Policy and provided the medical evidence to cover the leave of absence. This is in addition to my medical bills covering the treat of [daughter], the Hospital where she was treated and Consulting Doctor's contact details (if the school wants to contact the hospital direct).

I trust this matter is now closed.

Regards, [me]

I understood the schools safeguarding concerns initially and the reason they might want to investigate when your DD was out of the country, but frankly now she is safe and well back at school for over a month and you have provided evidence of her medical treatment etc, this is OTT.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Is it a school or a prison?
    Pants
  • ps124
    Hi Guys, yes exactly...this is a joke.

I just want this matter closed now. Is there anything else I should quote in this lettter...ie threat of a complaint or call to the welfare officer myself? Maybe He/She might be more understanding then these guys?

PS My next question...What are my options in pushing back? Should I talk to a school/parent governor rep? Use a formal complaint procedure? No idea :-(
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    ps124 wrote: »
    I just want this matter closed now. Is there anything else I should quote in this lettter...ie threat of a complaint or call to the welfare officer myself? Maybe He/She might be more understanding then these guys?

PS My next question...What are my options in pushing back? Should I talk to a school/parent governor rep? Use a formal complaint procedure? No idea :-(

I would send a copy of your letter to the Chair of Governors - with a brief explanation of what's happened - as well as the Headteacher.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    I did hesitate in raising this point - and I am certainly not suggesting that this has happened to your daughter but recently, there has been a vast amount of publicity about the elimination of FGM - and many schools are taking a very pro-active stance in checking that their young female pupils are not being taken out of the country for this procedure - and it may be that your school is being overly cautious about your daughter's absence.
  • ps124
    thorsoak, Yes I mentioned this is an earlier post a few weeks ago...the headteacher spoke about the stringent checks they need to make on FGM and radicalisation etc. which is fine...but how will an airline ticket help in this instance? what does it prove?

What annoys me is it seems like they are using the 'concern for the welfare of my daughter' as a smokescreen for something else - No idea what...it's not like shes been regularly absent.

So does anyone know whether I should go to a Parent Staff Representative in the first instance or a governor? Even if I do, what is it that they can do/help with? Is it neceesary at this stage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure