Paternity leave - what do you think?

Former_MSE_Megan
Former_MSE_Megan Posts: 439 Forumite
I've been Money Tipped!
edited 9 June 2015 at 1:03PM in MoneySaving dads
Today Labour has said that if they win the next election, their government would double paternity leave from two weeks to four. They also said they'd increase paternity pay to £260 a week.

What do you think of this move from Labour? Do you think it is well overdue for dads? Or are you happy to let your partner take the time off instead?

Let us know!

Update: Speaking of paternity leave...Virgin announced that they now offer a WHOLE YEAR paternity paid in full! What do you think, dads? Are you happy to let your partners take the time off to care for your little one, or would you welcome more time off with them?

Follow the Forum on Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest
Join the MSE Forum
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
Point out a rate/product change
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com

Comments

• I'd be interested to know what percentage of dads get 2 weeks at full pay already anyway. Would think it's a significant minority. Anyway, as it's to be paid for via tax credit savings, it would seem to be a bribe for the middle classes.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Another good reason to vote Conservative.
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • Soleil_lune
    Soleil_lune Posts: 1,247 Forumite
    Load of rubbish. Make it 4 months instead of 4 weeks!

4 weeks is rubbish!

Don't trust them to keep any promises anyway. None of them ever do!
  • millysg1
    millysg1 Posts: 532 Forumite
    My Oh owns his business so to take 4 weeks off would mean upsetting a lot of his customers and potentially loosing them.

Personally, I think a lot of Dads are quite pleased to get back to work after 2 weeks to get a break!!!!

I defiantly support the pay increase though, as someone about to start their maternity leave and having to save up a lot of money before we could even consider trying for even 1 baby.

But as said above, not many people I know got full pay.
  • I know a couple who did, but not the majority. Always going to be tough for the self-employed of course.
  • Gigglepig
    Gigglepig Posts: 1,270 Forumite
    I think they should increase the minimum maternity pay to £260 pr week as well.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Don't the rules change in April to which you could switch to shared parental leave.

From there if the women signs to say she will only take 50 weeks maternity the partner can then take the remaining 2 weeks at any time during that 50 weeks, ie could have have the standard 2 weeks and then 2 weeks shared parental leave and have a 4 weeks off together.

So in short it will be possible to take the 4 weeks paternity (as such) very soon if you want to.
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Percy1983 wrote: »
    Don't the rules change in April to which you could switch to shared parental leave.

From there if the women signs to say she will only take 50 weeks maternity the partner can then take the remaining 2 weeks at any time during that 50 weeks, ie could have have the standard 2 weeks and then 2 weeks shared parental leave and have a 4 weeks off together.

So in short it will be possible to take the 4 weeks paternity (as such) very soon if you want to.

That's incorrect- only once the mother ends their maternity leave can the father pick this up, and it is not an option that early after the birth.

as a new parent to a 6 week old,I can see how 4 weeks paternity leave would be very useful to families still in and out of hospital, having feeding difficulties, sleep issues or finding their feet in other ways.
  • Percy1983
    Percy1983 Posts: 5,244 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 February 2015 at 11:51AM
    Timeflies wrote: »
    That's incorrect- only once the mother ends their maternity leave can the father pick this up, and it is not an option that early after the birth.

as a new parent to a 6 week old,I can see how 4 weeks paternity leave would be very useful to families still in and out of hospital, having feeding difficulties, sleep issues or finding their feet in other ways.

Rules change in April...

In short if the mother sign to say she will finish maternity early the father can take the rest of the time, but this can be brought forward so they are off together, ie in a rough guide both parents could have 6 months off together.

In theory the mother can have 2 weeks off after giving birth and the father can take the rest of the time.

https://www.gov.uk/shared-parental-leave-and-pay/starting-shared-parental-leave
    Have my first business premises (+4th business) 01/11/2017
    Quit day job to run 3 businesses 08/02/2017
    Started third business 25/06/2016
    Son born 13/09/2015
    Started a second business 03/08/2013
    Officially the owner of my own business since 13/01/2012
  • Cyberman60
    Cyberman60 Posts: 2,472 Forumite
    Hung up my suit!
    More anti-business rhetoric and bribery from Labour. Clueless !! :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors