PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

How do I get the smell of sweat out of clothes!

Comments

• Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I find the main culprits I have for the returning odour are those acrylic jumpers (you know, the ones that look like cotton, until you've bought them and read the label.) I had started to wear mine just for cleaning etc but since I've started using vinegar as a fabric conditioner, the smell has gone - also works on my OH's socks. I use bicarb as a deodorant - after a shower, put some on damp fingers and rub into armpits. (not too hard, can be abrasive) It doesn't stop the sweating, but if that's not a problem, just the 'pong', then it's amazing. BTW - I was never a smelly woman, just aware of how easy it could be to become one :)

Also, got OH to do a sniff test on one old acrylic jumper. I asked him if it was whiffy, pretending I'd just got it out of wardrobe, and he said it didn't smell of anything. I'd worn it for 2 days, to do cleaning/jobs in, so the bicarb and vinegar does work.
  • ashmit
    ashmit Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post
    Thanks to the OP and everyone who's posted for all the tips - I thought it was just me *relieved*
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    I find that I have this problem when I wear 'tight' tops. It's only a problem if the fabric is actually tight under my arms :confused: otherwise it's fine. Maybe because the moisture can't naturally dry and the fabric absorbs it therefore starts to get whiffy?

I had a couple of white T-shirts that had the deodorant stains under the arms, I boil washed them (95 deg) and this made them about 75% better.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If sweating is a problem Linden Voss do an anti-perspirant that is applied every night for 4 nights and then just every couple of days.

It is a bit more expensive and you may have to go to a big chemist for it - but it really works.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MATH
    MATH Posts: 2,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I find the main culprits I have for the returning odour are those acrylic jumpers (you know, the ones that look like cotton, until you've bought them and read the label.) I had started to wear mine just for cleaning etc but since I've started using vinegar as a fabric conditioner, the smell has gone - also works on my OH's socks. I use bicarb as a deodorant - after a shower, put some on damp fingers and rub into armpits. (not too hard, can be abrasive) It doesn't stop the sweating, but if that's not a problem, just the 'pong', then it's amazing. BTW - I was never a smelly woman, just aware of how easy it could be to become one :)

Also, got OH to do a sniff test on one old acrylic jumper. I asked him if it was whiffy, pretending I'd just got it out of wardrobe, and he said it didn't smell of anything. I'd worn it for 2 days, to do cleaning/jobs in, so the bicarb and vinegar does work.

Does anyone know how to rmove pee stains from one computer chair brought on by reading Ticklemouses post.:rotfl: It all sounds a bit kinky at chez Tickelmice. Grinding abrasive powders into your armpits and getting loved ones to unwittingly inhale soiled laundry.:eek: I bet you clean the toilet with his toothbrush and don't tell him. I've met your sort before:p
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • moggins
    moggins Posts: 5,190 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Math I will ask my other half, he got my computer chair spotlessly clean :D

He really moans at me for eating at the computer now though.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MATH wrote:
    Does anyone know how to rmove pee stains from one computer chair brought on by reading Ticklemouses post.:rotfl: It all sounds a bit kinky at chez Tickelmice. Grinding abrasive powders into your armpits and getting loved ones to unwittingly inhale soiled laundry.:eek: I bet you clean the toilet with his toothbrush and don't tell him. I've met your sort before:p

ROFLMAO @ MATH

Thing is, Mr TM has been away for 12 days, working. During one of our daily phone calls, I was telling him of my exciting day (not) cleaning window frames with a toothbrush. He said 'I hope you used yours'. I said ' but of course dear, yours was still drying after I'd cleaned the loo with it!':D

Had to edit, to say that I've tears running down my face with laughter here.:rotfl: Glad you're back MATH, hope you had a good break. We've missed you on here.
  • Ok I really have to thank you people for this post. I am allergic to biological washing powders and hopefully should be able to de-yellow a few things now.
    Still wish I could buy a TARDIS instead of a house!
  • I'll need to try the bicarb and vinegar. I use nappy powder to soak light colours, but I find it tends to cause dark colours to run. It's very useful for hubby's stinky socks. Also, dry clothes outdoors whenever possible. Any lingering sweat smells will usually still linger if dried on a clotheshorse, intensify if tumble-dried, but miraculously disappear on the washing line, which leaves laundry smelling lovely and fresh.
  • I suffer from excess under-arm sweating.
    I'm only 18 so im very self-conscious of it.
    Some days im worse than others, somedays im fine, others i have big wet patches under my arpits (very embarrasing, so i try to cover up with a jumper).
    I try all different deoderants (nearly all i think ive tested) nothing really combats it.
    I'm lucky in the respect it doesnt smell though.

Ive been to my GP whome prescribed my Dryclor a strong anti persperant, but it was too strong and irritated my skin so mad i had to wash it off again!

Ive been back and theres nothing they can do. I avoid going out at times because of it.
    I sometimes wonder if its a mental thing, once i think about it, it makes me sweat, and when i sweat i worry even more.

I'm at a loss what to do about it though :(

(im not asking for health advice, therefore breaking the MSE rules)

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure