PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Grocery Challenge - February 2012

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,687 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 February 2012 at 6:23PM
    horrible snow here today, husband away so just me and daughter.
    I really fancied fishfinger sandwiches for lunch so enroute to getting daughter from work popped in Lidl. The shelves were bare no white bread at all, (you can only have white bread with ff sandwiches)
    I didnt buy anything.
    Picked daughter up and we had a McDs takeaway. I had a filet of fish, but so disappointed that they can never put the fish on the burger roll properly half on the roll, the other half sticking out, glued to the bread with the cheese, tartare sauce all over the place. And it was cold.
    Daughter had ordered a wrap, which turned out to be a burger.
    Served as a good reminder as to why its better to make your own. £7.48 will be deducted from my GC amount as a penance.
  • Went to sainsburys in the hope there might be some good bargains and though the store was really quiet, not much of interest in the reduced section. No reduced bread which is all I needed really but did get some half price belgium chocolate eclairs (60p from £1.19)for pudding, and some free range turkey steaks reduced to £2.25 from £4.50. Ended up spending £14 when really I could have had a NSD, but on the plus side I have all my dinners sorted up to the 22nd, enough milk to see me through to next weekend so really no excuse to buy anything until next weekend especially if I can dig around in my freezer for a loaf of bread. Have a good week everyone, and I would also like to send my deepest sympathies and hugs to anyone who has lost someone recently or has someone who is not very well. February can be a very cold and miserable month, and next week is the 4th aniversary of my Dad's death and though I was absolutely devestated at the time and I couldnt see the wood from the trees, time is a wonderful healer but I hate the miserable weather so roll on the sunshine!
    GC 2012 April £0/£150
    March: £176.71/£150
    (payday 22nd) NSD 3/10
    Feb: £138.93/£150 NSD:11/10 :j
    Jan: £171.13/£150:(
    Nectar rewards: £18.55, Boots £13.82
    Sealed pot challenge 5 no 1602:
  • Evening to all,
    No snow here in Wales, and not too cold, so been out shopping.
    Time to update,
    £5 in Iceland, Toilet roll, coke, ham.
    £7 in ASDA, Sweets for kids and toileties
    £4.90 in Aldi, Got some whoopsied chicken that will do 2 meals!!
    £5.60 Superdrug, foundation and shower gels.
    Total to add,
    £22.50.
    I suppose that's not too bad, but it's frightning how all those bits add up, and you have hardly anything to show for your money.
    Don't know if I will do a big shop this month, or just buy bits to supplement the bulging freezers and cupboards.
    Hope all are doing well, and keeping warm.:)
  • totallybored
    totallybored Posts: 1,141 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    NSD today as I didn't leave the cave again! I spent the afternoon baking again which has now becoming a relaxing Sunday afternoon routine. I made my usual cheese, tomato and pesto muffins, a batch of toffee apple muffins, a focaccia which has been my first bread machine disappointment (it just went hard and horrible) and now I have the bread machine on to make rolls.
  • £5 spend today for me at the Co Op on 2 lots of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes & a bag of carrots. NSD yesterday.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,618 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Need to update my budget spreadsheet and my signature - few more bits used from store (a bit more in terms of ££ than I'd have liked by this point of the month), but the big hit (which may make it tough to stay within budget this month) was £11.40 on a chinese take-away for me and my fella last night !!

But it was yummy, he deserved it (for surving a couple of hours meeting my DD, her OH and my 3 GDs, immediately followed by over an hour meeting my parents and DS2 - the two households are only a few streets away from each other, but a 90 minute round trip from me so it made sense to do both in one day), and it was long overdue my turn to pay (he's paid for a couple, and also took me out for an Italian as a belated birthday treat last weekend) - so I don't regret suggesting we hit a take-away, nor for making the move to pay well before he had a chance to do so :)
    Cheryl
  • bupster
    bupster Posts: 259 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yarg, spent an unexpected £7.09 today on stuff I really could have managed without - milk and butter was what I went out for, but I don't use butter that much (hence having to chuck out the stuff I'd made from whoopsied double cream because it went rancid) and I only needed extra milk if I made the soup I was planning to make, which I haven't.

On the other hand, going out to find the butter meant that I ran into my neighbour's kids, and I was going to treat myself to a pain au chocolat but ended up buying one for each of us and a couple of bars of chocolate, which in turn led to us spending an hour in the park building a snowman and having a snowball fight which was a brilliant use of a morning and totally worth the cost of two extra pastries and some choc.

Now knackered but with very good pics of snowmen. :rotfl:
    Grocery challenge September 2022: £230.04/£200
    Grocery challenge October 2022: 0/£200

2012 numbers:
    Grocery challenge - April £65.28/£80
    Entertainment - £79

Grocery challenge March £106.55/£100
    Grocery challenge February £90.11/£100
    Grocery challenge January £84.65/£300
  • kkennedy
    kkennedy Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    can I join in this challenge please, budget will be £80 a week for myself and two teenagers age 18 and 14 who eat day and night.
    have already cut my weekly bill from £100 a week to £80 from start of year . love this thread have picked up lots of ideas.
    Sealed Pot Challenge5 1707 £289.00/£400
  • cleggie
    cleggie Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Running total so far stands at £197.83, so only have £50ish left of my budget which i have kept eft over for fruit, veg, whoopsies etc.
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just filled two of those collapsible crates with toiletries from the bathroom. Shocked at how much is in there; literally hundreds of pounds worth. :eek::eek: I've seen people with signature references to toiletry spend - can someone point me at a thread please? (I have serious quantities and varieties to resolve).

Good news is that the work starts on the bathroom to replace the shower tomorrow because the snow means the builders need an indoor job. Not so good; this means mess from ceiling coming down and no shower for probably a week plus - they want to take it out to investigate the false floor and waste pipes - we really need two inches more height in the shower as both DH and DS are 6'4" (and still growing in DS case) - plan B is to raise the ceiling by exposing the beams and plasterboarding in little panels.

Prepared to work from home tomorrow if it doesn't improve tonight. Plenty I can do here.

Have a good week everyone
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport