Engagement ring - getting the most for your money.

Options
1235»

Comments

• 74jax
    74jax Posts: 7,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    jaylee3 wrote: »
    If it were me, I would want my fiance to spend about two hundred on the ring and keep the other £1800 in the bank. If we were expecting a baby, I would consider it incredibly frivolous to spend £2,000 on an engagement ring. You can get a perfectly nice and decent quality ring for a couple of hundred pounds.

And you will need a LOT of money when baby comes along. Probably before too! So saving most of that two grand and spending just a couple of hundred on the ring seems to make more sense IMO.

I know it may not be what you asked (or wanted to hear,) but this is a moneysaving page, and this is a moneysaving site.

There are numerous independent jewellers where you could get a nice, decent, unique ring for several hundred.

You are correct in this being a money saving site, yet he has said he has 2k for a ring. He wants the best value for 2k. If you want to spend more on something you still want a good deal, to not be taken for a ride.

You say your reply may not be what he wanted to hear, which is true, because you didn't answer the question. If it's a post that you can't comment on for whatever reason, surely you just read it and move on.

I do genuinely understand you've said it's an mse site, but you imply you can only use this site if you want to spend as little as possible. Not everyone is in that position but still wants the wonderful advice from here and not to waste the money they do have to spend .
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
  • Kaye1
    Kaye1 Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    Try the local auction house. I have seen some stunning antique rings going for half what they would be in a swanky jewellers.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    PenguinJim wrote: »
    jaylee3 is right, but left out the part about engagement rings being a scam, a sham, an incredible feat of advertising and marketing that dupes untold millions into wastefully parting with untold billions every year.
    Couldn't agree more - enjoy! :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • CharlieRabbit01
    Options
    My OH proposed 3 weeks ago with a beautiful platinum and diamond ring as he knew that is what I would like, he bought it from https://www.diamondsfactory.co.uk you can choose the ring style, then the metal then the diamonds and it shows you with each change how much it is costing you, I would say don't go for their lowest quality diamond as they are not very good and most places don't even sell that kind of clarity as you can see the flaws with the naked eye.

It's also worth getting them to have the ring valued independently too, my ring is worth twice as much as he paid for it.

My ring was too big and they are completely re-making it free of charge, they have offered us a fantastic service.
  • jeymate
    Options
    Congratulations. By now you both must be proud parents and already found your perfect engagement and wedding rings. I have found mine online after a long search. I seemed to be cheaper than on the high street at the same quality.
    having fun saving on everything:j
  • AndrewWatson
    Options
    Well, I would suggest you to compare the price of the diamonds before purchasing any diamond jewellery item. It will help you to make a wise decision. There are some websites available on the web which allows you to compare diamond price's as per it's color, clarity, carat , shape etc.

You can check the website " Diamond Hedge " and compare the prices easily and then make the decision.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    What a bump!

Never really understand this - especially as the reply doesn't really hold any new information.

I bought palladium as it was cheaper. The jeweller said it's not as expensive as it's less known than platinum at the moment. But I didn't care what the ring was made from; I went for the look rather than the potential value.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure