Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    • 11,602Posts
    • 79,922Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again
    • 29th Dec 18, 7:41 AM
    Frump to Fab 2019 - Here We Go Again 29th Dec 18 at 7:41 AM
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies (And Gents - if are are reading along).

Are you ready to start the New Year with a sparkle in your eye and a spring in your footsteps or are you feeling a little jaded, a little worse for wear, a tad sad and neglected.

Do you feel invisible. Does the face that stares back at you from the mirror seem like a stranger to you.

Just who is that tired old lady looking back out at you.

In short, have you become a Frump!!!

Well fret ye not, salvation is at hand.

Join our merry gang and make this the year you transform yourself.

Ditch the Frump and become the Fabulous Woman you know you can be.

And have some fun along the way.

The Story So Far.......

I have been looking back and I was astonished to discover that the First Frump to Fab thread began in 2011. Wow.

Tempus Fugit and all that.

Am I fabulous yet. Almost.

How did it all begin.

Well one day my son took a photo of me in an unguarded moment. I took one look and burst into tears. Who was that old hag, that strange woman who looked like a bag lady. That couldn't be me. So I ran upstairs and took a good hard look in a full length mirror.

Yes, dear reader, it was me.

I stopped snivelling and faced the truth. I was a mess. I resolved then and there to do something about it. I didn't know what that something was because at the time I was caring for my terminally ill husband and staring bankruptcy in the face.

I was exhausted, I looked terrible and if I'm honest, I felt desperate. I didn't know what I was going to do, or where to begin so I started the first Frump to Fab thread as a diary to spur me on and keep me motivated.

And the rest is history.

My life is truly unrecognisable from that day. And I am not the same woman.

I look better, feel better, my finances are better. I AM better.

Not quite Goddess standard yet but getting there and working towards being fabulous and having a fabulous life.

So......if you want to "Change Your Stars" then join our merry gang.

Let's make 2019 the best one yet.

And......more Importantly, let's have some fun along the way.

One Golden Rule Please.

Be kind to one another.

Please do not be harsh or judgemental to others. None of us is perfect. It doesn't matter how we became Frumps what matters is how we are going to reclaim our looks, our energy, our joire de vie.

The past is the past and why we became Frumps is no longer relevant. It doesn't matter how we got here, what matters is how we move forward.

We are all here because we want to make things better. We want to look attractive, some of us might want to improve our health and fitness. All of us on here aspire to being the best we can be. So let's support each other.

For the Newbies, the Lurkers and as a refresher course for our regular members ......

I have posted the new thread earlier this year to give us some time to reflect and decide exactly what we want to achieve next year. Time to set goals, time for some strategic planning.

Over the next few days, in true MSE fashion, myself and our regulars will be talking about some simple easy and FREE steps you can make as you prepare to start as your journey to Fabdom.

So Welcome Everyone.

Let's get this show on the road.....

Let's Rock!!!!

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 03-04-2019 at 11:33 AM.
Page 90
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 12th Jun 19, 11:28 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Good morning lovely ladies.....
    Still using the retinol and whilst I can't see any dramatic results yet I do look a bit more "glowy" so I think it's doing something and my skin is coping with it. It's obviously a very mild compound but I can always step up to a stronger version once my skin is acclimatised.
    I have also started using a serum which contains 4% SYN-AKE - an active ingredient which is allegedly derived from snake venom. Apparently it is supposed to work by temporarily paralysing the muscles which cause wrinkling. Botox in a bottle. but without the "frozen face" effect.
    I'm skeptical but it was cheap enough so I'll give it a whirl.....
    Still also using daily vitamin C serum, my skin loves that.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    Sadly Iím struggling with my skin again, have had acne in various forms all my life, well, since puberty (weirdo hormones & health issues)
    I get boils, spots, raw patches and even sore areas on my neck (atm, thatís a new symptom) my skin also peels a lot and doesnít heal very well.
    Any suggestions as to what I could try to help myself out a little..
    I do use coconut oil to moisturise my body (not face) when able and weleda skin food, also when its feeling happy.. I have no particular routine & Iím wondering if it could help me to have one??
    Thanks in advance, I love the advice and support on here.
    Ooooh n I confess to now owning a jumpsuit (or pantsuit) I love it even though Iím not particularly slender.
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £170/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 12th Jun 19, 1:01 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 21,395 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I realised I haven't worn my animal print shoes yet so I'm wearing them at home.

I go missing for a bit, n miss jumpsuitgate
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I like to stir up controversy on here.

Sadly Iím struggling with my skin again, have had acne in various forms all my life, well, since puberty (weirdo hormones & health issues)
    I get boils, spots, raw patches and even sore areas on my neck (atm, thatís a new symptom) my skin also peels a lot and doesnít heal very well.
    Originally posted by MadamMim2013
    Have you tried getting any help on the NHS? Someone I used to know had to go on a certain medication (can't remember the name) that worked for him.
    Push yourself, because no one else is going to do it for you.
    • silvasava
    • By silvasava 12th Jun 19, 1:54 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 67,234 Thanks
    silvasava
    Afternoon all.
    Got back from my Greek holiday in the early hours of Sunday so just trying to catch up. In 10 days I managed to put on half a stone but ive managed to lose 2lb since i got home - couldnt have been the alcohol could it?
    I didnt 'lie & fry' so I just look a healthy tan rather than an ompa loompa and my nails have certainly benefitted from the sunshine too.
    Miserable, dark and raining here so I'm sorting out my summer clothes and have identified quite a few things to go to the CS that I've either never worn or they just dont feel right.
    Ive got a retirement do to go to on Friday and was considering wearing my jumpsuit........just saying
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 12th Jun 19, 2:20 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 79,922 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Sadly I’m struggling with my skin again, have had acne in various forms all my life, well, since puberty (weirdo hormones & health issues)
    I get boils, spots, raw patches and even sore areas on my neck (atm, that’s a new symptom) my skin also peels a lot and doesn’t heal very well.
    I do use coconut oil to moisturise my body (not face) when able and weleda skin food, also when its feeling happy.. I have no particular routine & I’m wondering if it could help me to have one??
    Thanks in advance, I love the advice and support on here.
    Ooooh n I confess to now owning a jumpsuit (or pantsuit) I love it even though I’m not particularly slender.

Ah bless you, acne is horrible.

Unfortunately there is no "cure" as such only careful management, unless of course it is teenage acne in which case it can sometimes clear all in its own good time. Although many women also suffer from hormonal acne which can strike at any time and which tends to be worse at certain times of the month whilst some poor ladies suddenly develop late onset acne when they hit the menopause. Some medications can also cause skin imbalances.

So as you can see there are several causes and there are hundreds of products on the market, both on prescription and over the counter. It might be a case of trial and error until you find the right treatments.

First the golden rule - whilst you need to keep your skin clean you must be very careful not to strip the acid mantle by using harsh products. Stripping the protective layer of sebum (the skins natural oil) can lead to acne becoming infected which can lead to scarring, also no squeezing the spots, because again this can lead to damaging the skin tissue and scars.

I second Wednesdays advice - go and see your GP. They will most probably suggest trying a topical cream containing active ingredients such as retinoids or benzoyl peroxide. You can buy them over the counter but I would suggest you see your GP first because if they think it's necessary they will give you a prescription strength one, they might also prescribe a course of oral antibiotics.

In cases where the acne does not respond to topical creams and/or antibiotics there are longer courses of various therapies, usually based on isotretinoin such as roaccutaine. They are very effective but they can have side effects so have to be carefully monitored.

Acne scars can be treated very successfully with lasers.

There are also several complimentary medicines you can take, either as stand alones or in conjunction with any medication supplied by your GP. Dietary changes might also help.

Have a good read up.....just google acne treatments, both medical and complimentary .....there's lots of information out there.

In the meantime, as soon as the sun returns get some sunshine on your skin....it helps no end.

Ps...just to add I get acne on my back. I use a product called Acnecide with contains 5% benzoyl peroxide. I have found it very effective. I have never used it on my face, although it says it can be - although obviously avoiding the mouth, nose and eye areas and any skin which is sensitive or damaged.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 12-06-2019 at 2:47 PM.
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 12th Jun 19, 4:36 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Thank you both for your replies, I knew Iíd get quality advice if I asked
    Shall go do a little research. The doctors arenít too bothered, never have been, say its a side effect of errant hormones and now my PA (pernicious anemia) I will mention it again though (when I manage to see my GP!) just to see what she says..
    Thankoo again & I promise to try and stop picking
    • chanie
    • By chanie 12th Jun 19, 6:30 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 12,548 Thanks
    chanie
    Madam I agree with Lessons about firstly going to your GP and secondly not using harsh products.

I have polycystic ovaries, so my bad skin is hormonal. I did try my GP, but the cream they prescribed didn’t work. I have tried lots of products over the years and I thought the best I could hope for was clean skin, using products that didn’t make it worse. I have since tweaked my routine and have found products that work. I’m currently using and why -
    Body shop camomile cleansing oil - I found this didn’t try out my skin as it’s oil based
    Lush tea tree toner - this is a miracle worker. I think thr antibacterial properties are keeping my skin clean which I’d stopping my spots.
    The ordinary hyalauronic acid - my skin is dehydrated, so this puts the moisture back
    Lush celestial moisturiser - this cream is for sensitive skin.
    I’m also trialing The Ordinary buffet serum (for anti aging)

I’m not suggesting you use my products, but just to give you an idea of what is working and why. I’ve seen lots of positive reviews on The Ordinaryy and la Roche Possay is another brand to try.
    2019 savings on purchases £3250.63
    My spending diary - Spend Less, Live More - a spending diary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5576179
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 12th Jun 19, 10:15 PM
    • 27,390 Posts
    • 116,538 Thanks
    candygirl
    Thank you both for your replies, I knew Iíd get quality advice if I asked
    Shall go do a little research. The doctors arenít too bothered, never have been, say its a side effect of errant hormones and now my PA (pernicious anemia) I will mention it again though (when I manage to see my GP!) just to see what she says..
    Thankoo again & I promise to try and stop picking
    Have you recently started having B12 jabs? That often causes temporary acne
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th Jun 19, 7:33 AM
    • 800 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Iím not suggesting you use my products, but just to give you an idea of what is working and why. Iíve seen lots of positive reviews on The Ordinaryy and la Roche Possay is another brand to try.
    Originally posted by chanie
    Thanks for giving me a list of products to investigate or at least use as a guide as to what might help, much appreciated

Have you recently started having B12 jabs? That often causes temporary acne
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I remember the new to jabs acne flare up, the boils were so painful
    Iíve been having injections for the last 5 years now.. itís also down to every 8 weeks as I have suffered perminant nerve damage to my face & eye after they ignored my inital plea for more jabs.
    I have recently (3 months ago) stopped taking my pill. They said that will effect me for a while.. I just wish for once I could have a reasonable normal looking skin & for the hirsutism to go! Grrrr & boo hiss to ruddy hormones..

Thanks again for the advice/suggestions, it really is good to feel Iím not so alone in this.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 14th Jun 19, 8:30 AM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 11,610 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    Hello Ladies,

Even though my right arm is still painful and I have limited use of it, my suitcase for me and my 2 children is packed for the family celebrations in Birmingham this weekend. As my 2 children are adults, they are dividing the luggage between them as I will not be able to carry any of the luggage.

I have had no choice but to take 2 dresses with me that will make it possible for me to get them on with my daughter's help. I had to rethink all of my clothing for the whole weekend because the pain and the lack of normal movement in my arm makes everything difficult. It will eventually go back to normal.

I am determined to enjoy the party and the trip to the nightclub tomorrow and reconnecting with my family.
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 15th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 2,258 Posts
    • 20,852 Thanks
    FrankieM
    Morning all

I've not been feeling very fab this week at all and have been off plan in so many ways!

I've still been doing thee bb cream and a touch of make up every day and trying to wear something nice but the awful weather has really thrown me.

It's sunny at the moment, though and I'm determined to get back on it today and find my mojo
    • savingfortomorrow
    • By savingfortomorrow 15th Jun 19, 8:02 AM
    • 663 Posts
    • 5,055 Thanks
    savingfortomorrow
    It's like the middle of winter. So not inspiring for fashion
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 15th Jun 19, 8:19 AM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 79,922 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good Morning Lovely Ladies.

Sugarbaby.....hope you feel better soon. Enjoy your weekend with family.

You're right SFT. The weather is so awful, I'm back wearing winter clothes, not surprised you have lost your mojo, Frankie. Me too. I am so fed up and thoroughly cheesed off with just about everything at the moment. Time to do something constructive.

I have decided it's time to take radical action, starting with a major declutter. And this time I mean business!!! I am sick of clutter, mess, lack of storage......you name it. I feel like I'm drowning and that my stuff is taking over my life.

So I have decided not to do my usual buy more storage and spend precious time curating and reorganising but to just bite the bullet and get rid. Try and raise some cash in the process. What I can't sell I will donate and clear it all for once and for all.

Let the new minimal lifestyle begin.

So.......Seeing as how the weather is so grim and doesn't look like improving much for the next few days it seems like a good time to start.

I have just filled a couple of bags with bric a brac for the auction house. It probably won't fetch much but better than nowt.

Going to tackle my wardrobe next.....

Wish me luck, I may be gone some time......
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 15th Jun 19, 3:55 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 21,395 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    My new Ernest Jones silver earrings arrived, I got them for £30 instead of £50 in the sale.

I have decided not to pay to get my rings resized as I measured my finger on the Ernest Jones website and they are only one size bigger than the rings.

I am going to try and diet with WW again. Hopefully if I lose another few pounds the rings should fit!

I also bought some Skin Blossom skin cream from Ocado. I used their eye cream before and really liked it.

My husband has night shift tonight and he is leaving early so I am going to do a pamper session.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jun 19, 7:41 AM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 79,922 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning lovely ladies....

Do you ever wish you'd never started something, that you should have just let sleeping dogs lie.....well that's how I feel about this decluttering mikarky. The house is an absolute tip, stuff everywhere. Still I suppose it's true, you can't make an omelette without breaking eggs.

I'm sure it will all be width it in the end but for now, it's absolute chaos. and it will get worse because the builder is coming tomorrow. I'm a glutton for punishment.......

Wednesday.....I have similar issues with rings at the moment. I'm just going to wait until I have lost weight and then get the sizings sorted then. Well done on your earrings bargain.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Jun 19, 9:17 AM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 21,395 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I found out what that £1 charity shop New Look black cardigan I wear the most often is called, a boyfriend cardigan!

I find them more flattering than the other styles you can buy as they don't cling as much.

I ordered two more from Am*zon, they were very reasonable in price.

Unsurprisingly I got one in red and one in royal blue. My favourite colours.

I'm also decluttering LL. I have a bag made up for the chazzer and I have ordered some clear plastic boxes so I can get to grips with some of my husband's junk, I mean important items that he must keep.

It's the weather for indoor activities like organising as it is pouring here today.
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 16th Jun 19, 12:04 PM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 79,922 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    I love boyfriend cardigans....roomy and cosy. I have two really nice ones, a deep mustard and a deep rich red.

I also have several cotton knit cardigans, not sure I really like them, they feel scratchy and I think they seem a bit "old lady" I only paid £1 each at the chazza so I think I'll just donate them back. It's a bit like borrowing library books....and no guilt at getting rid of bad buys or mistakes. It's a good way of experimenting and trying out new ideas. Who knew I would get to like shocking pink. Ha ha. I now have three bright pink jackets, £7 the lot. I love them. All different weights for different seasons.

I'm really fussy about knitwear. I think once I reach my target weight I might invest in some nice proper woolen ones. I'm sick of acrylic, they don't wash well and soon end up looking like limp out of shape rags. Wool is warmer anyway. The only problem is I can't wear wool directly next to my skin so I will have to layer up.

I think my motto will be quality over quantity in future. Fewer clothes but better clothes.

I have just set aside 5 pairs of shoes for the chazza.....all practically new but they hurt me so out they go. Again no more painful shoes from now on.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 16-06-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    • Wednesday2000
    • By Wednesday2000 16th Jun 19, 12:30 PM
    • 2,973 Posts
    • 21,395 Thanks
    Wednesday2000
    I have been trying to declutter and tidy up and it really makes you look at what stuff you have.

It's getting worse before it's getting better. It's a mess at the moment. I will get back to it now.

I also have several cotton knit cardigans, not sure I really like them, they feel scratchy and I think they seem a bit "old lady" I only paid £1 each at the chazza so I think I'll just donate them back. It's a bit like borrowing library books....and no guilt at getting rid of bad buys or mistakes. It's a good way of experimenting and trying out new ideas. Who knew I would get to like shocking pink. Ha ha. I now have three bright pink jackets, £7 the lot. I love them. All different weights for different seasons.
    Originally posted by lessonlearned
    That is what I think about some cardigans on me, that is why I have added a few to the donation bag recently. I think certain styles make me look middle-aged and frumpy. I mean, I am middle-aged but you know what I mean.

It's the cardigans with buttons that look bad on me. I like the loose open ones.

ETA - I just looked and realised I can have a button up cardigan but it has to be a v-neck to flatter me. I have a navy buttoned one that suits me. Ah, that is what I have to look out for when I'm shopping for them.

Pink is one of the hot summer colours this year, I read the other day.
    Last edited by Wednesday2000; 16-06-2019 at 12:35 PM.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 16th Jun 19, 7:00 PM
    • 27,390 Posts
    • 116,538 Thanks
    candygirl
    LL I have to declutter the whole house, before the refurb in Nov.I have so much stuff, but have sold a few bits on ebay n shpock recently
    This weather is really draining Me, can't believe it's mid June!!
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • lessonlearned
    • By lessonlearned 17th Jun 19, 9:54 AM
    • 11,602 Posts
    • 79,922 Thanks
    lessonlearned
    Good morning Lovely Ladies

Well at least it's not rainnng......for the moment. I'm still wearing layers though, it's still a bit nippy here.

Had a lovely BBQ at my sons yesterday and we actually managed to eat outside, we had a nice little window of warm sunshine - lets hope we get more of the same soon. Although the in-laws sat in coats.....bless em.

I had a good laugh with DIL about it, she was wearing a tee shirt. I said she seemed to be nicely acclimatised to our weather now and she said, I think it's really hot when it stops raining isn't it but I think my mum and dad would disagree. Lol.

The builder is supposed to becoming here today. When he does I'll scoot off and drop off my offerings to the chazza, also need to call and do a bit of food shopping. I might have a mooch whilst I'm at it. I could do also with going to B@Q for some paint.

Problem is I have got a splitting headache.....too much Prosecco. I am out of the habit of drinking wine .......

Moral of the story.......drink more bubbles, more often.

As I said it's still cold and I'm still dressing for warmth, not getting much wear out of my summer clothes.......

It might be a good time to see what bargains are out there because I doubt the shops are selling much. I noticed ASDA were reducing a lot of their summer stock, so might take a quick look in Sainsbury's. See what they are up to.

Have a great day.
    Last edited by lessonlearned; 17-06-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    • sugarbaby125
    • By sugarbaby125 17th Jun 19, 12:16 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 11,610 Thanks
    sugarbaby125
    A Lovely Family Weekend
    Hello Ladies,

I had a great weekend in Birmingham. We had a party for my sister R's 60th birthday that started at 12pm on the Saturday and ended for most of the family at 6pm. We all went home or to our hotel to get some much needed rest or a nap before getting bathed or showered and all glamorous again for the nightclub. Everyone had a really good time despite the torrential rain on and off for hours.

There was a gazebo and a large tent erected in the garden to cope with the over spill of people in the house.

There was so much food to choose from and it was all delicious. There were 4 birthday cakes, only one of which was shop bought.

I spent a lot of time dancing in my sister's home and then again at the nightclub that 13 of us went to from 10pm to 2am. I quite literally danced my legs to almost a standstill. They were aching me a lot yesterday but it was definitely worth the pain. I had a fantastic time despite the pain in my right arm and the ways in which I could not move my right arm in a natural way.

My 2 younger children and I were staying in a Travelodge near my sister H's home for the whole weekend. We had a comfortable stay in the hotel. I demand very high standards of cleanliness, so I took my own bathroom spray cleaner and cleaning cloth to give the bathroom in the hotel a good clean, then I was happy with our en suite bathroom.

I found £10 as I started to walk out of Euston station My 1st roadkill note for 2019

I am catching up with laundry today even though it is a sunny and dry day here in London

My arm is improving a little more as each day goes by so I am hopeful that it will eventually be back to normal soon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,487Posts Today

7,419Users online

Martin's Twitter