Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 9th Jun 19, 1:37 PM
    • 1,316Posts
    • 531Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    New online business - need mentor?
    • 9th Jun 19, 1:37 PM
    New online business - need mentor? 9th Jun 19 at 1:37 PM
    Hello, I am just starting out on my business and plan to launch end of the year. I am working on my website and planning how I will action everything. My business will be purely online. Customers order and pay online from around the world and the product is delivered to loved ones in a particular country (Not UK). Since I have not sold online before I need some help/mentoring as to the basic practical stuff. Those of you who have done this sort of thing for years would appreciate your help and guidance. Please inbox me your email if you can. So I am worried about the following:

1. How do I set up my website to take credit and debit card payments. Is paypal sufficient or I need to make it in a way that people can also pay without paypal and how do I go about this?

2. How do I create shipping labels?

3. Pictures for the website of the products. Anything I need to bear in mind? Who is the best person to do this? Photographer in a studio? Then he edits it to make it look appealing?

4. Is there a software that will help me create order IDs, track inventory, track order fulfillment and that sort of thing?

I have so many more basic questions but this is what comes to mind now. Please help me.
    QUIDCO 2827 paid out since October 2007
Page 2
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 12th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    What is the profit margin & cost price of this gift item being sold?

Does it cost little to you, say printed material like photobook, printed tshirt etc. These items you're taking a risk for the occasional chargeback. But for other high cos/low margin items that are high risk (electronics, designer goods, gifts). I wouldn't risk it. Better deliver it to the person gifting, and have them send it to their loved ones.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Low cost and high margin. What adds value to the products is the time taken to package them nicely. Customers can also write a note/card which will be personalised and included.
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 12th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    Without tracking any payment method that buyers are likely to want to use will not be safe for you. PayPal for instance will need tracking to the address given on the PayPal invoice if buyer claims item was not received. Not only is tracking needed it must be viewable online in a simple format .
    Originally posted by soolin
    Thanks. I need to rethink the payment aspect it seems!
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 12th Jun 19, 12:38 PM
    • 40,098 Posts
    • 37,464 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    It is not a Tesco type shop I am setting up. It is gift bundles: romantic package, new mothers, new babies, boarding school packages. Nobody is offering this at the moment.
    Originally posted by brownbabygirl
    I suspect that all of these are easily available for purchase and delivery within the UK. If those companies aren't offering what you are offering, I'd wonder why. And I suspect it will boil down to the payment issues.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 12th Jun 19, 2:43 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I suspect that all of these are easily available for purchase and delivery within the UK. If those companies aren't offering what you are offering, I'd wonder why. And I suspect it will boil down to the payment issues.
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    I tend to a agree. The OP should perhaps do research on how to order and pay for gift packages sent from the usual gift outlets. They probably all do it. Christmas hampers come to mind.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 12th Jun 19, 5:50 PM
    • 704 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    It is not a Tesco type shop I am setting up. It is gift bundles: romantic package, new mothers, new babies, boarding school packages. Nobody is offering this at the moment.
    So they're experiences? That would make credit card scams unlikely than physical items that can be sold on easily like electronics.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 13th Jun 19, 7:17 AM
    • 62,706 Posts
    • 45,126 Thanks
    soolin
    Originally posted by Savvy_Sue
    This is cross border though so people in the U.K. And US for instance will be able to buy goods in the country wher OP resides and have them sent locally to the OP. Like you I've seen this the other way, where people buy gifts for relatives and friends overseas and have them sent to remind them of home. I'm not sure why local people would want local items but the OP does say she has done her research so hopefully there is a market.
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • martindow
    • By martindow 13th Jun 19, 8:46 AM
    • 8,301 Posts
    • 4,859 Thanks
    martindow
    Low cost and high margin. What adds value to the products is the time taken to package them nicely. Customers can also write a note/card which will be personalised and included.
    In any business you need to have a good margin because it has to cover all of the running costs and hopefully provide some profit.

I think your OP raised some alarm bells as your questions suggest that you are not aware of many of these costs. Assuming you are correct that there is a gap in the market, you can't know if there is a profitable business until you know all of the expenses.
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 13th Jun 19, 11:17 AM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    Thank you all. I spoke with the web designer and he can include 1, 2 and 4 at a fee. I am so happy :-).
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 13th Jun 19, 12:08 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    In any business you need to have a good margin because it has to cover all of the running costs and hopefully provide some profit.

I think your OP raised some alarm bells as your questions suggest that you are not aware of many of these costs. Assuming you are correct that there is a gap in the market, you can't know if there is a profitable business until you know all of the expenses.
    Originally posted by martindow
    No I don't know all the costs hence my questions.
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 13th Jun 19, 12:55 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    Mistral001
    The problem of getting advice on this forum is that few people have any experience of actually ordering something from abroad and getting it delivered to a UK address.

A day in any foreign country might help the OP to find out how the online business would work from the customer's point of view. By ordering small value goods from various stores in the UK and UK-based websites and having them delivered to the OP's address in the UK from say Berlin might prove every educational. Return flights can be obtained for only a few tens of pounds. You might never have to leave the airport so the whole day might take less than 100 including meals, and travel to and from the airport in the UK.
    • brownbabygirl
    • By brownbabygirl 13th Jun 19, 1:14 PM
    • 1,316 Posts
    • 531 Thanks
    brownbabygirl
    The problem of getting advice on this forum is that few people have any experience of actually ordering something from abroad and getting it delivered to a UK address.

A day in any foreign country might help the OP to find out how the online business would work from the customer's point of view. By ordering small value goods from various stores in the UK and UK-based websites and having them delivered to the OP's address in the UK from say Berlin might prove every educational. Return flights can be obtained for only a few tens of pounds. You might never have to leave the airport so the whole day might take less than 100 including meals, and travel to and from the airport in the UK.
    Originally posted by Mistral001
    I see what you mean. I lived in the UK for decades and just moved to West Africa, where the deliveries will be made. I am doing more research about payment gateways/merchant accounts and delivery couriers etc here. I just found a courier that does online tracking so it is all going well so far. Thank you!
    • Mistral001
    • By Mistral001 13th Jun 19, 2:32 PM
    • 3,955 Posts
    • 3,033 Thanks
    Mistral001
    I see what you mean. I lived in the UK for decades and just moved to West Africa, where the deliveries will be made. I am doing more research about payment gateways/merchant accounts and delivery couriers etc here. I just found a courier that does online tracking so it is all going well so far. Thank you!
    Then perhaps you have some friends in the UK who would be willing to investigate how they would order something from a store in the West African country and get it sent to your address in that West African country They could buy items of low value using various payment methods just to find out how it is done and sort out any teething problems before going live online.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,945Posts Today

8,049Users online

Martin's Twitter