Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 6th Jan 19, 8:36 AM
    • 7,413Posts
    • 10,794Thanks
    surfsister
    petition Age Uk Save Free TV for Older People
    • 6th Jan 19, 8:36 AM
    petition Age Uk Save Free TV for Older People 6th Jan 19 at 8:36 AM
    https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

Switched Off: Save Free TV for Older People

For over a million of our oldest citizens the TV is their constant companion and window on the world. And now it’s under threat.

The BBC is considering removing free TV licences from the over-75s. But this is really the Government’s doing: they pushed the scheme onto the BBC without asking any of us what we think or providing the funding to sustain it.

Together, we must demand the Government takes back responsibility for funding free TV licences for everyone over 75.
Page 1
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 3rd Feb 19, 3:27 PM
    • 13,612 Posts
    • 18,911 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    • 3rd Feb 19, 3:27 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 3:27 PM
    Everyone who isn't rich and/or a Tory donor has had to tighten their belts, yet the BBC hasn't.

Get the BBC to cut their costs and this scheme can be paid for by the savings.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 5th Feb 19, 6:06 PM
    • 2,687 Posts
    • 4,285 Thanks
    badmemory
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:06 PM
    • 5th Feb 19, 6:06 PM

Get the BBC to cut their costs and this scheme can be paid for by the savings.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet

Seems like you have your wish. The BBC have said they are reducing programmes made for older people.
    • 1974Stephen
    • By 1974Stephen 8th Feb 19, 11:21 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    1974Stephen
    • 8th Feb 19, 11:21 PM
    • 8th Feb 19, 11:21 PM
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.
    • timmy963
    • By timmy963 10th Feb 19, 6:53 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    timmy963
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:53 AM
    • 10th Feb 19, 6:53 AM
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. I have no time for them.
    Originally posted by 1974Stephen
    I voted leave too, come at me.
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Feb 19, 12:51 PM
    • 7,147 Posts
    • 7,898 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 10th Feb 19, 12:51 PM
    • 10th Feb 19, 12:51 PM
    I wont be signing this as pensioners voted for us to leave the UK. .

That's a vote I must have missed ..... if we left the UK where would we go ?
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 10th Feb 19, 12:58 PM
    • 10,789 Posts
    • 16,980 Thanks
    worried jim
    • 10th Feb 19, 12:58 PM
    • 10th Feb 19, 12:58 PM
    Seems like you have your wish. The BBC have said they are reducing programmes made for older people.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    They only make shows for coffin dodgers! The average age of a person who watches BBC One is 61, while it is 62 for BBC Two.

BBC Starts to Feel the Chill From ‘Netflix Effect’

"Brits are increasingly abandoning TV licenses as they turn to on-demand streaming services such as Netflix, according to The Times.

More than 860,000 licenses -- which allow viewers to watch live television and the BBC’s iPlayer catch-up service -- were canceled in 2017-18, the newspaper said, citing figures it obtained. That equates to around 2,300 per day, and marks the first rise in cancellations for five years.

The licenses aren’t needed if viewers only watch on-demand streaming services such as Netflix, Amazon Prime and Now TV. Analysts estimate Netflix has 9.78 million U.K. subscribers."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-02/-netflix-effect-sees-british-tv-viewers-ditching-their-licenses

I will not be renewing mine in April. BBC is done in its current form.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 11th Feb 19, 3:14 PM
    • 12,215 Posts
    • 10,781 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 11th Feb 19, 3:14 PM
    • 11th Feb 19, 3:14 PM
    If you mean the EU, then plenty of non-pensioners must have voted to leave. Especially as not all pensioners voted to leave!
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 27th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 4,168 Thanks
    LadyDee
    • 27th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    • 27th Feb 19, 8:10 PM
    What on earth has leaving the EU got to do with TV licences?
    • mazzykinsxo
    • By mazzykinsxo 4th Mar 19, 8:19 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    mazzykinsxo
    Signed. We have to look after our elders!
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 2nd May 19, 7:23 AM
    • 7,413 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    bumping this

https://campaigns.ageuk.org.uk/page/34266/petition/1?ea.tracking.id=1unr39mb

they need 14k more signatures! 110k so far!!
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 2nd May 19, 4:44 PM
    • 2,819 Posts
    • 3,789 Thanks
    Robisere
    Do you actually believe that tripe? I am 74 and voted Remain. So did many of my friends and others in my age group. Why make such unnecessary, untrue, block statements about one section of the population? There is no way that the age of voters for one outcome or another, can be decided. A person's vote is between that person and the ballot box.

Why do people like you never understand that you will also become old yourself one day?
    Last edited by Robisere; 02-05-2019 at 4:51 PM.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 5th May 19, 7:23 AM
    • 7,413 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister
    Pensioner ‘PERKS’ must stay as older generation contributes £160 BILLION to economy
    Campaigners have demanded that Britain’s pensioners continue to receive extra financial help in retirement as latest figures show they contribute £160 billion annually to the economy. The figure undermines the call to cut so-called “pensioner perks” like the winter fuel allowance and bus passes because they are deemed too expensive at £5 billion.

The vast sum of money paid by the older generation for the good of the country has sparked demands to protect the benefits as a sign of how UK society values their contribution.

Jan Shortt, general secretary of the National Pensioners Convention, said: “Britain’s pensioners continue to make a massive financial contribution to our economy.

“Half of all older people still pay tax in retirement and are rightly annoyed when some politicians argue they are a burden.

“Older people not only pay taxes, but they also provide huge amounts of free volunteering and unpaid childcare.”

Latest data from Age UK shows income tax and National Insurance payments from the increasing numbers of people working past their retirement date amount to £54 billion a year.

Caring for sick or elderly loved ones adds another £95 billion saved by the NHS and social care system which would otherwise have to step in.

Informal childcare is worth £7.7 billion to the economy.
    )
    The value of volunteering done by pensioners represents another £2.7 billion.

Added together the sums total £159.4 billion.

Yet pensioners finances are under threat.

The triple-lock guarantee, promising that the basic state pension will rise by a minimum of either 2.5 per cent, the rate of inflation or average earnings growth, whichever is largest, is set to end.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 5th May 19, 7:25 AM
    • 7,413 Posts
    • 10,794 Thanks
    surfsister

How did you see their ballot papers then?? or do you believe what is said in the media?
    • humptydumptybits
    • By humptydumptybits 7th May 19, 10:56 AM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 11,541 Thanks
    humptydumptybits

Pensioners are individuals like everyone else. I'm a pensioner I voted remain. My husband, sister, brother in law, aunt are all pensioners and all voted remain. The only people I know who voted leave are all in their 40s.
    • charlotte1994
    • By charlotte1994 7th May 19, 11:53 AM
    • 818 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    charlotte1994
    100%.
    I think that we should follow a region in Japan's example, they encouraged the elderly to give up their driving license, in exchange they get discounted meals. 500 Yen for ramen, rice and salad.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 13th May 19, 7:51 AM
    • 6,999 Posts
    • 8,208 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    I do find the attitude that just because you have reached a certain age you should get free stuff regardless of how rich or poor you are. On the whole most pensioners born in the 40s and 50s are far more wealthy than older pensioners, and most of them can easily afford a TV licence.

We have both hit state retirement age so not too far to go to qualify for a free TV licence, but won’t be that bothered if it is no longer available then. Us younger pensioners have never had it so good, it is the younger generations who no longer have access to such generous company pensions and job security that we had I have more concern for.
    • Norman Castle
    • By Norman Castle 16th May 19, 6:18 PM
    • 8,683 Posts
    • 7,541 Thanks
    Norman Castle
    Don't harass a hippie. You'll get bad karma.

Never trust a newbie with a rtb tale.
    • Lost2
    • By Lost2 18th May 19, 5:58 AM
    • 14,672 Posts
    • 30,642 Thanks
    Lost2
    Do you actually believe that tripe? I am 74 and voted Remain. So did many of my friends and others in my age group. Why make such unnecessary, untrue, block statements about one section of the population? There is no way that the age of voters for one outcome or another, can be decided. A person's vote is between that person and the ballot box.

Why do people like you never understand that you will also become old yourself one day?
    Originally posted by Robisere
    I think possibly a Daily Mail reader I voted remain and am not young and I don’t watch tv as it’s all rubbish
    Sealed Pot Number 262009..£950.50 2010..£256 2011..£526 2012..£548.80 2013...£758.882014..£510 2015...£604.782016...£704.50 2017...£4752018...£1979.12 2019...£

SwagBucks £405
    • Murphybear
    • By Murphybear 12th Jun 19, 9:19 AM
    • 4,881 Posts
    • 9,259 Thanks
    Murphybear
    Have you forgotten that you will be a pensioner one day? (Unless you fall under a bus)

Will you still have no time for your peers when you do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

93Posts Today

1,613Users online

Martin's Twitter