Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Londonlisa12
    • By Londonlisa12 10th Jun 19, 7:48 PM
    • 71Posts
    • 33Thanks
    Londonlisa12
    Abolish BBC licence petition
    • 10th Jun 19, 7:48 PM
    Abolish BBC licence petition 10th Jun 19 at 7:48 PM
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235653

Its about time this tax was abolished please sign and post the link on every forum you know.

Why should we all pay for this propaganda organisation?
Page 1
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 10th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 5,010 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:07 PM
    Why should we all pay for this propaganda organisation
    Because it means that there are 3 TV channels and a host of radio stations that are not carrying crappy, annoying adverts.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 10th Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    • 22,823 Posts
    • 18,832 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 8:40 PM
    No. And this is absolutely not the correct board for this thread based on your reason for wanting to scrap the licence fee, if the thread has to exist at all it needs to be somewhere where the fallacy of your argument can be pointed out using robust language.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 10th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    • 6,531 Posts
    • 7,597 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 10th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    • 10th Jun 19, 11:09 PM
    Because it means that there are 3 TV channels and a host of radio stations that are not carrying crappy, annoying adverts.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    No. And this is absolutely not the correct board for this thread based on your reason for wanting to scrap the licence fee, if the thread has to exist at all it needs to be somewhere where the fallacy of your argument can be pointed out using robust language.
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    Bang on, and please don’t encourage other disgusted of Tunbridge Wells types to spam this on “every forum that you know”
    • Socajam
    • By Socajam 11th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    • 350 Posts
    • 452 Thanks
    Socajam
    • 11th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    • 11th Jun 19, 5:00 AM
    https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/235653

Its about time this tax was abolished please sign and post the link on every forum you know.

Why should we all pay for this propaganda organisation?
    Originally posted by Londonlisa12
    Something is seriously lacking in your life and I suggest you find it real quick before you combust.
    • JasonHand
    • By JasonHand 11th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    • 180 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    JasonHand
    • 11th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 12:15 PM
    But over 75s who are receiving pension credit will still continue to receive their TV license FOC

Should the wealthy over 75s living in the home counties receive a free TV license? No I don't think they should
    • Farway
    • By Farway 11th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 7,318 Posts
    • 13,822 Thanks
    Farway
    • 11th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    But over 75s who are receiving pension credit will still continue to receive their TV license FOC

Should the wealthy over 75s living in the home counties receive a free TV license? No I don't think they should
    Originally posted by JasonHand

OK for the wealthy north of Watford to receive it then?
    • Londonlisa12
    • By Londonlisa12 11th Jun 19, 9:30 PM
    • 71 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Londonlisa12
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:30 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:30 PM
    Well done guys over 100,000 in a day and 150 people per minute signing up..
    Happy days and hopefully it's abolished .
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 11th Jun 19, 9:38 PM
    • 12,027 Posts
    • 32,201 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:38 PM
    • 11th Jun 19, 9:38 PM
    Well done guys over 100,000 in a day and 150 people per minute signing up..
    Happy days and hopefully it's abolished .
    Originally posted by Londonlisa12

How should the BBC be funded if not via the license fee?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 12th Jun 19, 8:06 AM
    • 22,622 Posts
    • 61,199 Thanks
    Pollycat
    The OP was beaten to it:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5946515

...and that was posted on the correct board.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 12th Jun 19, 4:19 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    OK for the wealthy north of Watford to receive it then?
    Originally posted by Farway
    Good point. A pensioner who does not receive pension credit is presumably "wealthy" particularly if he/she lives to the south of Watford.

Of course, the BBC is quite nasty because an elderly couple will pay 77 a year for each person whereas an elderly widow or widower or single person will have to pay 154 each. The BBC discriminates against widows or widowers: like a tax on death.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 12th Jun 19, 4:28 PM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 3,969 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19 west of south > 35 pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th Jun 19, 8:46 PM
    • 12,027 Posts
    • 32,201 Thanks
    suki1964
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers. Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes

Do you believe these so called detector thats really detect homes without a TV license?
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • Roger1
    • By Roger1 13th Jun 19, 10:25 AM
    • 1,457 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    Roger1
    The OP was beaten to it:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5946515

...and that was posted on the correct board.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    That's a different petition, sponsored by AgeUK.

No harm in voting for both , once each of course.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 13th Jun 19, 11:03 AM
    • 22,622 Posts
    • 61,199 Thanks
    Pollycat
    That's a different petition, sponsored by AgeUK.

No harm in voting for both , once each of course.
    Originally posted by Roger1
    I know it's a different petition.
    I have signed that one.
    But I'm a bit particular about what e-petitions I sign, especially the wording.
    I wouldn't sign the OP's petition because I think it's poorly worded and poorly thought out.

The quality of BBC programmes do not reflect the price of the TV license. It is far too expensive for the majority of people and should be abolished.
    My choice.
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 13th Jun 19, 11:22 AM
    • 12,123 Posts
    • 13,634 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    Also, the BBC will need to invest in more detector vans to target the new army of licensable viewers.
    Originally posted by Sterlingtimes
    There are no detector vans in routine use in the UK (or anywhere else, AFAIK).

Perhaps, retirement homes would be a good first target. It is easier to frighten the elderly into paying!
    Is that the kind of thing that the BBC would want to associate itself with, though?
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 13th Jun 19, 11:23 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Astar1809
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Should this not be a choice of the people though? You may find the service wonderful as do many others but some (1 in 10 in some reports) do not use any of the BBC services, including radio, Education, Recipes etc.) so are being charged for a service we do not want or use, this equates to something like 2 million licenses or more being forced on people for no benefit.

The other way to look at this is as follows, what if Yahoo.com felt like they provided excellent services, apps and websites and started charging people all over the country for it at say 10 a month (less than a tv licence). To use a device that has access to the internet you needed a Yahoo.com licence even if you have never used that website of any of thier affiliates, would you find this fair?

I highly suspect the answer is no and such a proposition would have no chance of getting started, but because the BBC have been doing it for years and have been able to force people with a TV or Media device to pay they still continue to.
    • Astar1809
    • By Astar1809 13th Jun 19, 11:25 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Astar1809
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Either through a subscription model where people can pay for the services they use or view, or a traditional advertising model.

It does seem unfair that it is a legal requirement to pay the fee even if you do not use the services.
    • Mnd
    • By Mnd 13th Jun 19, 4:02 PM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 1,861 Thanks
    Mnd
    I think I am right in thinking that if 1 person in the house is 75 then no licence is needed. If this is a parent living with a married son/daughter then there could be several people who benefit from the free licence. Perhaps it should have been restricted to the youngest in the house is 75
    • Pennywise
    • By Pennywise 13th Jun 19, 6:39 PM
    • 11,665 Posts
    • 22,535 Thanks
    Pennywise
    Originally posted by suki1964
    Either advertising or encryption needing a decoder that you pay for, either a one off, or subscription, something like those freeview boxes everyone needed to get freeview on an old fashioned analogue TV.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,487Posts Today

7,419Users online

Martin's Twitter