Cutting Down Alcohol Thread

Comments

• CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hi all sorry I!!!8217;ve just caught up.

HB hugs. That doesn!!!8217;t sound like a good friend to me.

March 16/17. Boo !!!55357;!!!56897;
    April 2/17 so far please
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Wanna_Bee_Free
    Wanna_Bee_Free Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Committing to an AFD this evenng on here tonight as I wavered yesterday evening and am not going to do the same tonight!

2/14 please Baileys!
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,305 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning all, 5/21 for me please.

Honey Bear, if I had to guess I'd say your friend prefers you show a lack of willpower towards chocolate because that's her situation and she likes company in it, so she is not very charitably trying to prod you towards that, much in the manner of "friends" who try to stop someone they know losing weight (or indeed giving up drink). If she doesn't have a sweet tooth though, and just wants to point out how other people have "failed", then maman is right!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    3/12 please.
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Went to pub with my landlord last night and quite happily sat there with a soda and lime and had a good chat. I really want to try the AF beers but I'm not sure it's worth paying the extra over soft drinks, I don't miss the taste but that probably because I usually drank Tennents lager which isn't the best to begin with..

4/28
    4/90

You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,080 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I think there's probably more than an element of truth in all of them. She's a senior academic and with her husband moved here about three years ago. She was desperately unhappy at work from the beginning, to such an extent that she took several weeks off work with stress the first summer. We got to know each other during that time and became friends but since then I've noticed a gradual but significant deterioration in our relationship. The irony is that at one point about 18 months ago she was in tears about something that had happened at work and said, 'What's wrong with me?!' I honestly couldn't have said there was anything, then, but now it's a very different matter and I regard her as a neighbour and an acquaintance and nothing more.

One of the points about reviewing her behaviour over this issue is that when I was drinking I would have taken her comments at face value and to heart. I would have been hurt, I would have been devastated by anyone pointing out that I hadn't succeeded in my ambition and I would have felt a failure, both with and without anyone commenting even once, never mind three times. That would have just reinforced the feeling.

After four years without booze my brain is unscrambled enough to recognise that she's even unhappier at work, still very overweight and seemingly unable to lose that excess weight despite trying again and again and again, and probably not a little jealous that I appear to have had life handed to me on a plate, and thinks I am a bit of a wastral. That's the vibe I'm getting overall, at any rate.

It's important to recognise that relationships change and sometimes we need to just move on. It's sad, because she's generous and often carefully, thoughtfully kind but she's also got this other side that is unpleasant I need to protect myself from it.

I'll still be seeing her pretty much every day, and I'm much better at keeping people (negheads!) at arms length now that I'm seriously sober. I wouldn't want it any other way.
    maman wrote: »
    Out of interest (aka nosiness:o) HB, do you have a 'sugar' plan going forward?

Yes. Eat less of it! I'm able to stop now after two biscuits which I haven't been able to do for years. I also gave up cheese for Lent and managed that pretty much right through. I'm pleased with that because I can gorge on that as well but I didn't mention it to her.

I'm not losing weight, which I thought I would, but I am at least not putting it on. I intend to shed a stone over the rest of the year but it's proving harder to turn the juggernaut around than I'm used to, so I need to rethink how to do it. Not being able to take the dog on long walks (cruciate ligament damage) is part of the problem so I need to find new solutions to my changed circumstances.

5/30 please, Baileys.
    Better is good enough.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    3.14 for today please Baileys
  • Arkers
    Arkers Posts: 1,535 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    4 please Baileys.
    Arkers x
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    5/30 please Bailey (and I think it is beginning to get better/easier, well today it feels that way)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    I'm able to stop now after two biscuits which I haven't been able to do for years. I also gave up cheese for Lent and managed that pretty much right through. I'm pleased with that because I can gorge on that as well but I didn't mention it to her.
    I have managed to seriously cut sugar and cheese altogether. I started at the same time as I began to reduce alcohol. I'm sure cutting down on alcohol helped me get sugar under control. You seem to be doing well on many fronts. Well done :T
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills