PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh, catshark88, go for it! You will get pleasure from the lovely flooring and the 'added' light EVERY DAY! :j
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Welcome back, MMF! We're glad you haven't kondoed *us* :)

Kondoed a black bag full of garden rubbish, including three rooted brambles, yay.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you MMF007. :)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 7 February 2018 at 9:01AM
    Options
    There's too much plastic waste........... what about charity bags? I've just picked up the 3rd one this week off our doormat. Surely the well will run dry with people finding stuff to donate in such a short period of time. I never donate via these schemes anyway. Most of the time when you look at the small print it's just a tiny amount going to the charity and the rest is going to a business. The one time I got a bag that did look like it was directly from the charity, may have been Age UK, they never picked it up and I was then left with a soaking wet bag full of donations.

And then there's all the wasted bags. I put mine in the bag recycling at the supermarkets but I bet a huge amount of people don't.

When I get a minute I'm going to put up a sign on the door that I don't want them.

When we move to our new house they will be used as binliners as the rubbish there goes in wheelie bins. Where we currently live it's black bags and they need to be stronger than the charity ones.

ETA I could start keeping charity bags for use as binliners at the new house, but that's a couple of years away so therein lies madness as we know........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Slinky wrote: »
    There's too much plastic waste........... what about charity bags? I've just picked up the 3rd one this week off our doormat. Surely the well will run dry with people finding stuff to donate in such a short period of time. I never donate via these schemes anyway. Most of the time when you look at the small print it's just a tiny amount going to the charity and the rest is going to a business. The one time I got a bag that did look like it was directly from the charity, may have been Age UK, they never picked it up and I was then left with a soaking wet bag full of donations.

And then there's all the wasted bags. I put mine in the bag recycling at the supermarkets but I bet a huge amount of people don't.

When I get a minute I'm going to put up a sign on the door that I don't want them.

When we move to our new house they will be used as binliners as the rubbish there goes in wheelie bins. Where we currently live it's black bags and they need to be stronger than the charity ones.

I have a sign on the door, but they still leave them :( We are in a wheelie bin area, so they get used as bin bags without a second thought. As you say, if you read the small print, they pledge only to donate a small percentage to charity, and they are often charities I have never heard of. I prefer to donate to the charity shops in town, which benefit well known local charities such as the county branch of Mind, and a local hospice.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm another one who won't support doorstep charity bags. Mine either get used for household rubbish or I turn them inside out and use them for donations to my local CS. I was told ages ago that a CS I took a bag to couldn't take them as the bag was marked for another charity that's why I turn them!
    Only kondoing done yesterday was the dust from upstairs and today will be money to the dentist :( hopefully just a checkup.
    Have a good day all and stay warm
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am so excited for you catshark. :D

I wish I could find my dream home, I haven`t seen any yet for a viewing, don`t want to get seller hopes up. All I have seen online are tatty 2 bed bungalows, period properties with no parking and dark rooms or houses that need updating and are already right at the top of my budget. Sigh, I should be happy as I am in a lovely light home but I need that change, to get on with the next stage in my life

Not much to kondo, if at all, I have been concentrating on food stocks and much has gone to the food bank and almost everything I have eaten has been home made, so stocks are going down but slowly

Its freezing but so sunny and I mentally want to go and weed some raised beds on the allotment. I will do it shortly, need to get some exercise
  • catshark88
    edited 7 February 2018 at 1:34PM
    Options
    I have just dried a reusable water bottle (you know how the drips stay in after washing, defying gravity), by putting it on the radiator for 10 minutes. Why have I never thought of that before???
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • catshark88
    Options
    One book and one plant went off today.

Parent has just burned some really horrible old legal papers that have been in a cupboard nearly 30 years. I hope that she will get the full MK lightening of spirit having removed such a toxic presence in her house.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) The parental homestead is plagued with those charity bags, several arrive each week. The family prefer to take donations, in person, to charity shops where we're gift aid registered, and do so on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. I took a donation bag in today - books and some bric-a-brac.

At my suggestion, they turn them inside out and use them to line the large litchen refuse bin, so they serve as bin-bag substitutes and go into the wheelie bin loaded. It's not ideal, but we didn't ask for them to be created, didn't choose to bring them into our home and, short of sealing up the letterbox, it's very hard to keep them out. At least by using them it saves buying bin liners.

Lovely peeps, I have been having and edifying convo this aft with a Red Cross charity shop manager. I long since knew they could take worn-out textiles for ragging, but had no idea that they can also take in worn out footwear, bags, rucksacks, handbags etc. I'm pleased to find this out and share in case it may help others out there to get rid of some Stuff.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills