January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Hi all please could I join. I really need to save some money this year. It's just become me and my 2 kids. I have a freezer full of batch cooking and a well stocked cupboard. I really need to run this down before buying more! With this in mind I'd like to try £50 as the budget for Jan.
    Jan GC £57.26/£50
    Feb GC £17.06/£60
    Jan - Mar WLC 6/11
  • I’ll join lil_me on the despondent bench (fist bump). Been buying birthday presents in the sales and ended up being out longer than expected and having to buy lunch out. Between that and buying my high strength vitamin stuff today has been a spend of £23.33. And now need to go on a long distance visit this weekend (very sick relative) that will mean eating out for 2 days.

Not a good start - Will just have to squeeze a bit harder for the rest of the month.

Hope you are feeling ok lil_me
    LBM 23/09/13 - DFD 08/10/17 :T
  • Hi
    Could I join this challenge please? I have no idea how much we spend on food but I do know it’s more than we need to spend. In our house there’s me, my husband and 3 kids. I’m hoping to stick to a budget of £300.
    Looking forward to reading everyone’s ideas and stories. Thanks
  • wannalot
    wannalot Posts: 182
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello all,

Can I be included in the GC please, with a budget of £110?

This is a bit less than I normally spend, but I am away from home over new Year, so I can spend a bit less on groceries.
    Thank goodness I am making some savings on shopping, because the friends I am visiting (lovely people, but with money to burn) have spent a fortune over the past few days, and I have struggled to keep up! I’ll need to have a superfrugal January to get back on track...
    2024 goals
    GC: Jan £160 (annual £1920)
    Savings: save £10K (or move house)
    Health: Lose 3 stone
    Mind: read at least 24 books
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Evening all,

I did the week's shopping in sainsbobs today, as aldililly was shut and I have zero time tomorrow with going back to work. Total of £7.04 spent. Pleased with that!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • Zed42
    Zed42 Posts: 925
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Evening all :)

Thank you for the new post :)

Well, I've just reviewed what I'd hoped to achieve last January and just laughed out loud at how dismally that worked out ... this years target is well, worse for the moment, but hoping to get rapidly better.

Having calculated all that we spent on groceries/take-outs/healthcare/pet food/cleaning .... in fact everything bar alcohol .... we spent on average £800 per month, for 2 adults, 1 ravenous teen and two daft cats ....

So, to get us going, I'm going to say £750

However, ideally, in the long run I'd like to get us to about £500.

Month this month will go from Jan 1st to 31st .....

GC - March 2024 -
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks ladies
    I have a major major hoarding issue that goes back to when we were literally bones of backside broke. Which makes me panic if not every storage space is full. OH took some storage off me in the past to reduce it didn’t really help too much. I’m back to 3 freezer spaces, one which is tiny, at home and 2.5 at work. I’ve not even opened one of them for 5 months

I know it’s bad. I’ve had some counselling before but as soon as I get emotional (this time arguing with OH) I did it again. To the point I had £2.22 left in my pocket, as I did take cash. Everything I bought was healthy which is good. Did I need it ?? probably not. Crazy. I need to stop. I just don’t know how yet. I’m 12 years into it.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    lil_me wrote: »
    I’m a tit. £90.32 spent on almost nothing it seems because I did an emotional shop.

Don't beat yourself up over it lil_me. It happens sometimes. Onwards and upwards now :)

We will have a small spend today as DD will pick up bread, eggs and honey after she's finished work. One thing I do need to get back into the habit of and that is making my own bread again.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • My goal for January is 200 € :D
    books read 2020: 29 / 100
    Weight loss journey: 1,5 KG / 9 KG

english is not my first language, sorry for any misspellings :o
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi Guys,

Last time I did this I managed £50 a week but feel prices have risen a bit as we seem to be spending more and getting less for our money...so I'm going to give myself aim of £65 a week to start (given we are currently spending £70-£80) and I can always reduce it next month.

There are 5 weeks for us this month (I do it on CC and pay it off every month) so total aim will be £325 for the month, plus just on a personal note £50 in petrol so aim to keep CC under £375 for the month.

Will update when we do shopping on Saturday :)
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure