January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• ma-ri-ella
    ma-ri-ella Posts: 980 Forumite
    thanks for all the helpful tips. Just got a £10 morries voucher from work so am thinking use that for like toilet roll when i see a good offer or possibly other cleaning offers,the nice coffee i like. don't think i could spend 10 in 1 go lol especially as trying to get the yellow stickered items . With my stockpile of cupboard stuff would quite like to be under the £31 - am thinking about a £365 a year challenge in terms of real money not any vouchers i hope to get. This is just food and general household . I have enough bathroom stuff to last a few years.
    meal plans seem like a good idea.
    never seen to get veg as cheap - love the veggie plans do you have recipes for the burgers etc ?
    I use one of those eco balls instead of washing powder. saves on that plus i seem to be allergic to most powders anyway. if things are really dirty or with work uniform i use washing power occasionally.

is wingyip like approved foods?
    does anyone have a general budget spreadsheet ?
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • Happy New Year everyone!
    Yesterday was a NSD, today we've spent 6.75 euros at the bakery. More than we should have spent but not awful.
    This leaves us with 266.27 euros.
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Spent £5.10 today, £1.10 on yellow stickered and £4 on lunches for DH for a couple of weeks, got a full freezer so hopeful not to spend much this week
    So that's £5.10/£1.90
  • IrisViolet
    IrisViolet Posts: 110 Forumite
    My January started 28th December.
    So far have spent £52.65 /£400
    Month ends on the 27th.
    Won't be shopping again until Friday
  • Chickens anyone. Purely for pets or eggs - please don't wring their necks lol, but it would reduce your grocery spends. There is a number in the article if anyone is interested. http://www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/182-hens-due-slaughter-unless-981473
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would like to join in with £5,200 for the year ...£442 for January .Thank you .
    Todays spend was £11.30.
  • Please count me in for 250 this month. Got to get back to moneysaving ways :)
  • fifi35
    fifi35 Posts: 228
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 2 January 2018 at 10:10AM
    £125 for everything food/smellies/cleaning stuff starting from the 2nd for 1 adult and a dog. For the month.
    Grocery Challenge 2018
    Jan £170/£125, Feb £131.80/£125
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 3,985
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    ma-ri-ella wrote: »
    is wingyip like approved foods?
    does anyone have a general budget spreadsheet ?

WingYip is a Chinese supermarket/wholesaler/cash-n-carry. They welcome anyone so unlike Costco or Booker, you don’t need a membership or proof of business. The supermarket section sells individual items, while the warehouse has the same items by the box/crate. (Very useful if you want to buy distilled white vinegar cheaply. IIRC, one box of 4x1gallon bottles - that’s 4.5L bottles in new money - was less than £10 a year or so ago.). The warehouse is also where you find the restaurant supplies, so you can pick up cheap cleaning materials or boxes of 10 pairs of marigold gloves for a fraction of the price you’d spend in MrT’s. If you need takeaway boxes for the freezer, they sell them by the 50-pack.

I buy all my spices from WingYip, usually in 500g packages, and they work out a fraction of the price per gram that you’d pay for one of those little jars. I’ve also buy basmati rice there in 10kg sacks. (A few years ago, when we were really broke, we bought “broken basmati” at £6 for 10kg. The shop assistants were most concerned that we should know it was the really poor quality stuff, only stocked for very poor people not middle-class whites. Mr T now sells it as their Value rice at £7.50/10kg.)

HTH.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • taka
    taka Posts: 3,483
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can I join in again please at £155 for the calendar month? I have a bit more than that in my budget but I'd like to start accumulating a bit more of a bulk buy pot. :)
    Mortgage free as of 12/08/20!
    MFiT-5 no 45
    You can't fly with one foot on the ground!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure