Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    DS2 is in Dublin :j. He's very close to home now :j.

He's still feeling unwell but I'm hoping it's mainly tiredness (plus possible hangover?) and the lurgy that's going around. He wasn't able to sleep on the plane because it was uncomfortable.

Today I have my main food shop at Mr T. It should be £74, but I want to buy DS2 some mini bottles of mineral water and some nice fruit to help him to recover when he gets home.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Once DS2 is safely home and I catch up on my sleep (only five hours sleep again :eek:) then I can think clearly about Christmas prep.

I've bought all the presents I need now, apart from DH (who can't decide what he wants :mad:), and the DC. I need to order from DS1's Amazon wishlist and wrestle a list out of DS3.

DS2 always likes a surprise, but DH had a good idea for him. DH suggested a RFID wallet to keep his contactless cards safe while he's travelling. I think DS2 would like that so I want to order one of those for him today.

I need to hurry up and order things or I will have to pay extra for Christmas arrival :mad:.

I haven't wrapped any presents up yet and some need posting. I also haven't written or posted any cards and I want to post them second class :money:.

I did buy some second class stamps yesterday, but I may need some more. I've cut down on the cards I send, but I like to send them to family and close friends.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I've asked DS2 if he'd like me to buy some mineral water and fruit for him at Mr T. He wants blueberries and I suggested grapes and Mr T finest beef lasagne as he loves that. He said yes please :).

Once he's home we can spoil him :).
  • Morning lovely,

So glad DS landed safely and I hope he feel better soon, he'll probably sleep like a log tonight.

I'm the same with the presents side of things, I've left a lot to the last minute and I'm panicking a bit now. xx
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks purplemum :).

DS2's plane has landed at Gatwick just this minute :j.

He's thinking of coming home by train as he's not feeling well and his coach isn't until 6.00pm tonight and takes six hours. Whilst the train is every hour and takes four and a half hours. Then DH can meet him at the station :D.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Morning lovely,

So glad DS landed safely and I hope he feel better soon, he'll probably sleep like a log tonight.

I'm the same with the presents side of things, I've left a lot to the last minute and I'm panicking a bit now. xx

Christmas is something I'm struggling to fit in at the moment, but now we have DS2 back in the UK I can start to get my head around it. You have a good excuse with your new job :).
  • EssexHebridean
    Options
    definitely a plan for DS to gt the train rather than wait for that coach I'd say - hopefully he'll be home by this evening and all settled in and feeling better soon.

And GET ON AND WRITE THOSE CARDS!! ;):rotfl:

I absolutely get your relief at the shower being sorted too - the couple of weeks ours was out of action was a nightmare!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks EH :).

DS2 is on the train now and should be at our local station in an hour :j:T:j. I can relax now I know he's safe :D.

I'm going to sleep for about twelve hours tonight, wake up refreshed and plan my time up until Christmas with military precision. This will involve lots of list making and probably a detailed timetable :D.

The cards will get written at the weekend and posted on Monday.

I can get my moneysaving mojo back now that my anxious time is over :money:.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    DS2 is home :beer:.

He's very tired, got a sore throat and feels light headed, but seems fine apart from that. He's bought himself some new clothes and as predicted has plenty of dirty washing :rotfl:.

Christmas can officially begin for the Hairy household now :D.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,270 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad that DS is home safe & sound :)
    Hope you have a lovely sleep tonight :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback