Reducing Debt - being accountable and taking responsibility

DrSpendLittle
DrSpendLittle Posts: 698 Forumite
Debt-free and Proud!
edited 30 March 2019 at 1:53PM in Debt free diaries
UPDATE / SPOILER ALERT: Go to page 28 / post 552 to fast forward to the result of this particular debt game show

;)

Original diary name: Reducing Debt: being accountable and taking responsibility

Hi everyone!

DFW newbie here! Been a lurker for a while but have been so inspired by reading others' DFW diaries - it's literally all I've done this weekend! - that I decided to take the plunge and join in the fun. Now's the time. Had my LBM a few weeks ago and can't wait to get started :p

So, a little about me before I state my financial situation and my goals:
- a happy, healthy and engaged homeowner
- settled in my career with a fairly well paid job & annual increment
- looking at starting a family soon as time is ticking!
- enjoys sports and the outdoors and a healthy approach to life
- has just started using YNAB
- has a 'secret' unsecured debt of just over £10k (2 x cc's)

About DF
DF is debt free but doesn't actively save. He seems to spend what he earns which isn't great since we have a tiny mortgage and lowish bills. He had family money passed on to him a few years ago on the advice of his mother's accountants - she would NEVER give it away otherwise. This dosh acts as a financial cushion for him .....and, admittedly, me :rotfl: gosh, it really has meant I've been a wee bit lacking in the old saving malarkey :eek: Time to banish this false sense of security!

About DF and I's financials
DF and I don't have a joint account. All bills / mortgage come out of his current account except car insurance and broadband/phone which I'm responsible for paying. I give him £465 every month towards bills (includes a deduction for car insurance) and he gives me half of whatever the broadband phone bill is. This arrangement is, on reflection, part of my problem as I have too much 'distance' from the reality of bill payments and direct debits etc etc etc I'm sure you all know the score....

DF knows I have some debts but isn't really aware of the current status of my 'net worth' ;) He's one of life's worriers so I am taking this DFW journey alone for now. I'm completely settled and happy with this idea and I have been managing it all on my own thus far, so no need to change. I got myself into this situation so I'll be getting myself out of it.

Why the DFW diary?
Well, we're thinking of moving home since we could take a few leaps up the ladder. Its time for our dream home. This has caused my LBM. I want my dream home and the only thing stopping me is my poor money management skills! Its also time to move. We've been here a while and have never fully settled.

My interim goal?
To clear £4K of debt by January so when we put the house on the market, my debt levels are lower. I obviously also want to make sure we can maximise our borrowing, so I want to demonstrate good money management skills and a good pattern of spending and saving.

My overall aim
But, more than this interim goal, I just want to be in control of my money and no longer feel guilty for spending it. I want to save up for things and have that lovely 'I deserve this because I saved for it' feeling when I buy something. I want to be responsible. And, I am here to become accountable.

My plan of action!
So....this diary is my way of sharing my story, being accountable for my actions, taking responsibility and doing all this whilst my other half is oblivious! :rotfl:

I hope you join me on my journey and I look forward to joining you on yours.

My current financials
I'll post my current financial situation later today - got some work things to get done before close of play. Its been one of those 'working at home' days which have largely comprised of obsessing over YNAB and lurking on DFW diaries, oh deary me :rotfl: A hint of my procrastinating / self sabotaging ways......

DSL :j

Comments

• laurag89
    laurag89 Posts: 728 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello :)

Great start making a diary, I find that and advice from others on here really helps!

Sounds like you are really organized and motivated, I am in a very similar position - my fianc! has no debts either, so this is quite an independent journey for me too!

Wish you all the best with your debt free journey!

*Subscribed*
    Total debt to pay: £14,071.41/ Remaining debt: £12,884.12: Amount Paid: £1,187.29

Survey xmas 2018 savings: £10 / £150
  • Thanks Laurag89! About to post my financials whilst DF is busy and occupied making bread!

Look forward to catching up with yours later! :)
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    A spending diary is a good start so you can see where your money goes although if you are using ynab you may already know where your money is leaking out.

Are the credit cards on 0% deals?

Do you have an emergency savings account?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Yup, all CC's are 0% and I'm building up an EF as we need a new boiler (but have £1K stashed away for that already) but an emergency fund is also something I know I really need to help break the cycle of CCing every unanticipated expense - that has been my downfall over the years. Just prepping my financials now so will update shortly!
  • DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:11PM
    Okay, here goes with the financials:

Current Credit Card Debt as of 22/8/17
    - CC1 BoS: £1253.73 with £600 on 0% until 10/17; £618 on 0% until 4/18 and £34.59 on standard rate (this will be paid off on 1st Sept so not worried about that). Minimum payment is currently £12.99
    - CC2 B4rclayc4rd: £9124 with £800 on 0% until 1/18 and £8200 on 0% until 6/19
    - JL Card: £312 on standard APR. This is my food spend card and I usually pay it off fully each month but I put a birthday present on it a few months ago and I'm about 1 month behind. Will be paid off on 1st Sept.

Other Unsecured Debt
    - Car Loan (PCP ended and I got a follow on loan to pay off the balloon payment. Currently sits at £1,894.92 at 7.9% APR and I pay £157.94 per month. This will end in August 2018. Car worth about £4100.

Student Loan
    I did 3 degrees, one after the other (hence the username!) so didn't start repaying my student loan until 2008. Not sure on current balance but about £150 is taken from my salary monthly before tax. I don't treat this as 'real debt' since its all sorted through HMRC and my employer and I have never 'had' the money that is taken from me before tax. Is this wrong? Not sure on the interest rate, will have to check and get back to you.

Bank Accounts
    - B4rclays bank account (no overdraft, its my ebay and paypal account). Had it yonks and it has £21.86 in it
    - BoS current account. My salary account and direct debit account. Have been in overdraft since before time began but I've managed to stay in the black this month and will end the month with a few pounds in it. My priority is to never go in my overdraft again. Really bad habit since student days. Currently has £144.47 in it. All payments and bills done for this month. Full fridge and freezer. Should be good till the end of the month.
    - Three BoS online savers: Emergency Fund £9.53; Car Maintenance £1; and Holidays & Presents £1.

Personal Savings
    - Erm...... :o
    - I have £9.53 in an emergency fund (new habit!) and we have £1K put away towards a new boiler. I'm due around £500 for a work fee so that will go in presents envelope on YNAB

Income
    - My net monthly pay is £2250 after pension, tax, NI and student loan payments.

Obligations
    - Immediate obligations inc. mortgage, bills, mobile, broadband & car insurance are roughly £750
    - After monthly expenses and filling my newly created YNAB envelopes (all the good budgeting practice ones), I reckon I can throw around £800 - £1000 at my debts.
    - Will post up a SOA / YNAB later this week and perhaps we can chew over the figures and you can make me justify each number.

Reasons for Debt
    - Poor money management and lack of budgeting
    - Satisfying wants rather than needs
    - Living beyond my means
    - Self sabotage
    - My DF earns more than me a year and has no debts - I graduated with cc debt and student overdrafts and went down the dreaded consolidation loan route and the rest is history. DONT DO IT PEOPLE!!!!! I've been living his lifestyle!
    - And, finally, the usual 'oh, I'll stick it on the CC and deal with it next month' mentality

Things I'm focusing on now
    - BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET :money: I've been using YNAB for the past few days and its a revelation. I can't believe how well I have done so far!
    - using A*di for veg and fruit. Bit of an admission here - DF and I are Waitr0se stalwarts BUT we love to cook and enjoy our food and value quality. However, we've realised that there are things worth paying more for - we like organic meat and dairy, wine - but everything else is up for negotiation and I have to say, even DF is convinced by the savings to be had at A*di.
    - As above, I'm sorting out an SOA but that's more tricky as DF does all the direct debiting and we also have a % split on bills to reflect our salary differences. Again, another nice thing that DF has done that, on reflection, has enabled me! Will do over the course of this week.
    - Selling stuff on ebay - made £200 in the past two weeks!!
    - Switching utilities - done today and saving £220 per year
    - Switching car insurance - will do over the next week
    - Being more efficient with food, using up what we have and freezing left overs. We cook from scratch anyway but we are guilty of throwing away food we don't use.
    - Working at home more to save on petrol and parking costs

Back later!
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Good luck with it DrSpendLittle
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Wow you're organised!

Look forward to following :D
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,581 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 August 2017 at 7:26PM
    You are in a really good position to get rid of this debt if you make and stick to a budget and don't get distracted from paying it off.

Positives are you are on a fairly good salary and say you have around £800-£1000 per month to throw at your debts although I wonder if you are being overly optimistic there as presumably you have been spending this £800 to £1000 per month up until now? That is a large chunk of money to suddenly start throwing at debts so presumably you know where this has been going up until now?

I think having the large savings buffer your DF has and his higher income and you not getting involved in day to day bills has sheltered you a lot from having to live within your income. It is almost like you living at home and paying bed and board but not taking responsibility for bills etc. At some point you both having a joint account with you both paying a contribution in would make sense rather than him paying the majority and you responsible for just one or two bills although I note you do pay 40% of the bills and have been switching utilities since starting your diary. My DH and I always had a joint account for salaries and all bills and a personal spends account each which had the same amount going in to both. This overcame the problem of me having lower earnings due to childcare responsibilities and working part time. I always overpaid into my pension as well to compensate for earning less.

One thing I would say and please take this from someone who has seen people depend on their OHs for everything to provide for their financial security and then been badly burnt. None of us know what is around the corner so you are wise to get your own affairs in order. Don't let your DF get in the way of that by tempting you to overspend on things you don't need as he has the larger salary and substantial savings with more to come. Letting him know you are trying to clear debt is sensible as hopefully he will be more on board with you being a bit more frugal than you have been up to now. Spending outside your budget will delay you getting debt free.

The majority of your debt is interest free until 6/19 so that is also good news. I would not worry too much about your student loan. You graduated the same year as my daughter so are on one of the older schemes but may be worth checking the interest rate on it.

Your car loan is the most expensive debt at the moment but I think I would focus on the credit cards prioritising the ones with the interest free deals expiring first.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:12PM
    You are in a really good position to get rid of this debt if you make and stick to a budget and don't get distracted from paying it off.

Positives are you are on a fairly good salary and say you have around £800-£1000 per month to throw at your debts although I wonder if you are being overly optimistic there as presumably you have been spending this £800 to £1000 per month up until now? That is a large chunk of money to suddenly start throwing at debts so presumably you know where this has been going up until now?

I think having the large savings buffer your DF has and his higher income and you not getting involved in day to day bills has sheltered you a lot from having to live within your income. It is almost like you living at home and paying bed and board but not taking responsibility for bills etc. At some point you both having a joint account with you both paying a contribution in would make sense rather than him paying the majority and you responsible for just one or two bills although I note you do pay 40% of the bills and have been switching utilities since starting your diary. My DH and I always had a joint account for salaries and all bills and a personal spends account each which had the same amount going in to both. This overcame the problem of me having lower earnings due to childcare responsibilities and working part time. I always overpaid into my pension as well to compensate for earning less.

One thing I would say and please take this from someone who has seen people depend on their OHs for everything to provide for their financial security and then been badly burnt. None of us know what is around the corner so you are wise to get your own affairs in order. Don't let your DF get in the way of that by tempting you to overspend on things you don't need as he has the larger salary and substantial savings with more to come. Letting him know you are trying to clear debt is sensible as hopefully he will be more on board with you being a bit more frugal than you have been up to now. Spending outside your budget will delay you getting debt free.

The majority of your debt is interest free until 6/19 so that is also good news. I would not worry too much about your student loan. You graduated the same year as my daughter so are on one of the older schemes but may be worth checking the interest rate on it.

Your car loan is the most expensive debt at the moment but I think I would focus on the credit cards prioritising the ones with the interest free deals expiring first.

Thanks so much for reading and replying. These are really pertinent things to ask of me and you offer me some really excellent advice - I very much appreciate you taking the time to read and comment.

Something I've been thinking about recently and asking myself is what on earth have I been frittering away my income on? I can be quite faddy and certainly over the past two years I've got back into a few sports things and thrown money at them. Then there is the perennial clothes problem. And then I suppose it's spending too much on food. And the summer holidays. Then I got promoted at work and decided to spend proportionally even more. Also over the past few years we've bought a few new things for the house that we needed (okay, some were wants) and we decided on investing in 'quality' products (probably good examples of what you allude to about me buying into DFs 'affordable for him not me' way of life - I really liked that point you made as its so true). The big things got chucked on the CCs whilst I spent the monthly disposable income on living month by month.

But, that said, right now, I can look at where we are and what I've 'got' and very happily and contently consider myself as wanting for nothing. I've got everything I need (rather than want) to hunker down for frugal 9 months and get to a position where I can be saving rather than paying off debts. The long term rewards are more valuable than the short term, instant hit of spending money on stuff. Or in theory! I'm very motivated so I'm just hoping to keep the MSE spirit alive on here and making myself accountable to you all to keep me on track.

I agree with keeping the car loan as it is - I don't want to be credit checked in the next few months from getting a 0% BT CC as we're looking at getting the AIP in the new year. And, the car loan probably won't be included in the affordability calculations anyway as it'll have less than 6 months to run, so I'm happy clearing CCs as a priority and keeping out of my overdraft!

As for the student loan, I'll check the details but yes, I agree that keeping it safely tucked away where it is will probably be best.

Thanks! :beer:
  • DrSpendLittle
    Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 11 September 2017 at 5:13PM
    Just checking through my student loan stuff to make sure I'm up to scratch with it all since I'm doing my finances. Might as well be comprehensive.

I'm Plan 1, pre 2012 batch, which basically means I'm getting too old to be still having a student loan :o I get an annual statement and the next one isn't due until early October so I don't have any up to date info.
    However, from looking at last years statement for 2015 repayments and with my rough and dodgy calcs, I reckon my outstanding balance is circa £11,400 :eek: That's frightful, theoretically speaking. More on that later...

The tinterweb site says the APR will be 1.25% from 1st Sept 2017.

I'm going to ignore this 'debt' for now. I took it out when the government first introduced tuition fees and I used it to pay them as well as my (...with hindsight, poorly budgeted for...) living expenses whilst studying. I took out approximately £3200 each year totalling approx £13K. Then I stayed on to do another 1 year degree, then another 3 year research degree (both has scholarships attached so no more loans yay!), so I didn't earn enough to begin repayment until 2007/8, by which time the balance was around £17.9K with interest accrued. Ouch. Very ouch. So, to sum up, I've basically been paying interest on a £14K loan since 1999 that I took out aged 17 with no idea of the consequences.

But...... I'm 100% fine with this - I see it as a graduate tax and I'm more than happy paying it in principle. That said, I wish i would have been given more financial advice as to the various scenarios for repayment etc. I wasn't even 18 when I applied for and agreed to take on this debt o. Anyway, a discussion for another day. Compared to today's graduates, I have it easy.

UPDATE: I've sourced my SLC online login details and I've been able to determine my current balance, which is......
    £10,680.49!
    Whoo, under the £11K mark finally.
    I pay £146 per month pre tax and this amount will increase overtime as I (hopefully!) earn more dosh.
    I'm glad I don't view this as real debt :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport