Warning re 24/7 Home Rescue

Comments

• The last boiler service I had off them was in October 2015, and each month they have been taking money by DD from my account. On the last Service sheet in 2015 the engineer wrote limited service. However as I told him I am not the only householder on the estate with this type of boiler.

I got a letter from them in October 2016 and when I telephoned them to book an appointment I was told that the earliest date they could give me was 18 January 2017. I complained about this and was told because of the bad weather (what bad weather) they had a lot of boiler breakdowns.

I agreed to the date of 18 January 2017, BUT low and behold on 28 December 2016 I received a telephone call asking me if my boiler was still working, to which I replied yes, and then the guy told me that they were cancelling the appointment for 18 January 2017 and the next appointment date available was March 2017 (when the Contract would next be up for renewal).

I asked him why and he said because of a lot of boiler breakdowns they were extremely busy and I responded by saying “you don’t see any British Gas vehicles on the road”, I then complained to him and told him it quite clearly stated in British Gas Terms and Conditions that I should have a boiler service every 12 months and they were in breach of their own Contract..

He then went on to say they were not in breach, and I said it was not acceptable and that I wanted the service on 18 January 2017. Yet again British Gas is coming the “Big Brother attitude” cancelled my service date, yet keep sending me letters now asking me to make an appointment for a service.

I telephoned British Gas twice on 16 January 2017 to check if they were coming and they said no, that I would have to book an appointment and the earliest they could give me was March 2017.

To cut a long story short I have cancelled my Direct Debit to them because British Gas are not keeping to their Terms and Conditions.

This will not end here because I want a REFUND OF MY Direct Debits they have taken with the intention of not giving me a boiler service.

Be aware good people
  • Foolishly took our a boiler service plan with them a couple of months ago. Telephoned them today as the pressure in the boiler has dropped three times over the last few days. I was informed that as this is a simple topping up process which the customer can do, I was not covered. When I pointed out that there is obviously a fault which is causing the pressure to drop, they responed that unless the boiler was completely broken down, I wasn't covered. What a joke they are. I've now cancelled the contract with them as it seems they are a complete waste of time. BBC Watchdog will be informed - I hope other members will do the same.
  • How I wish I had read this before signing up with 24/7. I have had nothing but problems with them since I tried to arrange a boiler service in December and the problems are still ongoing.

I have emailed a complaint to their complaints department approximately 4 weeks ago, I have had no response from them yet but it does say they will respond in 8 weeks, which I doubt will happen.

I am just wondering has anyone had any joy or can advise in who I should make a formal complaint about them to e.g. trading standards?

Many thanks.
  • kitkat180
    kitkat180 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 10 February 2017 at 1:05PM
    would be surprised if anyone has had their boiler successfully repaired by this firm, I wish I had read some of these reviews before signing up, could have saved a lot of money and distress!

I took out boiler cover with them in November 2016 and last weekend the boiler started leaking... I called 247 and paid my £75 excess. They arranged a sub- contracted engineer to attend the next day. The engineer called me once he had attended to advise which part was leaking and that it could be easily replaced, just needed authorisation to order the part.

The next morning I got the same phone call that so many others unfortunately seem to have had: stating that the boiler was deemed beyond economical repair as the cost of the repair was more than 60 percent of the boilers 'value' as determined by them and as such they would not authorise it. The guy on the phone lied about the cost of the work quoted then tried to get me to pay an additional £240 to get a manufacturers repair and was very pushy. Suspicious of this I called the engineer back who had attended and he confirmed that he had quoted them £232 all inclusive for the job. Now in an email 247 rescue had put a value on my boiler of £414 so the repair was 56% of the value!

Despite numerous phone calls with different stories and lies from each person I spoke to and no-one returning calls they still refused to authorise the repair claiming that the engineer had identified ' a number of components' requiring replacement. I have asked for proof of this, which I know there is none as I ended up having to pay the same engineer privately the £232 to get the part replaced and boiler fixed and he said he has had no more contact from them. They will say anything to avoid paying out a claim. 247 home rescue seem only interested in collecting your monthly payments and £75 excess then leaving you in the lurch. My email of complaint has been ignored. I just hope this review might stop others signing up and wasting their money!! I will be reporting to trading standards and watchdog to hopefully get them investigated.
  • Can I say we have never ever had to call out or use any insurance company for home services such as boiler breakdown etc, never, however we were registered to use 24/7 home rescue. WOW,! They are the biggest cowboys I have ever come across with the most appalling customer service I have ever had the misfortune to come across!! A pipe in out downstairs toilet burst and water was going everywhere and the ONLY WAY TO STOP THE WATR WAS TO SWITCH OFF THE WATER AT THE MAIN cockstop under the sink. Otherwise we would have been flooded. Obviously then a massive insurance claim. We telephoned 24/7 at 7pm yesterday and was told unfortunately because we have another toilet within the house we were not an emergency and also that they had up to 24 hrs to send someone out. WOW, NO WATER so not able to use any toilet, was hands, wash up, drink and so on for up to 24hrs. It gets better or worse lol.....then the next day (today) at 9am 14hrs later still no show from the plumber etc. So I telephone 24/7 to see what is happening etc, to be told that actually my telephone call the evening before has not been registered or followed through as we have to pay £75 before they could start the process for a plumber to come out and also that it would be up to another 24 hrs before anyone would come it as we are not an emergency as we have another toilet??? Hold on we have no water lol. The agency from the night before had said nothing about the £75!!! We were then told that our claim had been refused becuas we had another toilet in the house so we were liable for all the costs on top of the £75!!!!! So why are we paying our subscriptions (£20) a month ? For what actually ?? Unbelievable and beyond any common sense. The ladies we spoke to were so unprofessional and saying we had been on the telephone to long with them , even though it took us over 10 minutes to actually get through lol. They were rude, unhelpful and basically were just looking to turn down our claim and for us to pay for ANY WORK, shocking, please please do not use this company you will be stung if you ever need to use them. We are going to trading standards , putting in official complaints, seeking legal advice and will not rest until we have satisfaction and hopefully this company is held accountable by the authorities.
  • I signed up for a monthly contract with a landlord safety certificate.
    I wanted the safety certificate to be carried out earlier and had to pay £60 upfront for this service. This reduced my monthly bills.
    When I called to cancel my contract under the 30 day policy I was told that I was under a 12 month contract as I had the gas safety carried out. This is despite paying the going rate for the certificate to be carried out. There was no mention of this from the advisor when I paid for the safety certificate upfront.
    The customer service team are very rude and not helpful. I would recommend going with a slightly more expensive company with better customer service.
    I have also reported this company to BBC Watchdog.
  • DO NOT TOIUCH THIS COMPANY!!
    I took out 2 service plans last May - in July I had a blocked bath drain - was told they couldn't send a plumber out as it didnt 'meet the criteria' she couldn't tell me the criteria though ..?
    I then said I wished to cancel as there wasn'r much point in having cover that didn't cover. I spoke to 2 different people they said OK but as it was a monthly rolling contract I had to pay the next months premium before i could leave - I did and heard nothing more .. until yesterday (March 2017 now) when I get an email from their debt collection department charging me £288 as a 'Breach of Service Agreement Cancellation Penalty' as I had 'unilaterally decided to cancel the policies without discussion'... I rang and explained that was not the case but 'Cathy' said it doesn't matter you had a service' so my £60 boiler service x 2 has ended up costing me £508 and I've had no cover whatsoever in that time. I've paid because I am applying for a new mortgage next month and cannot afford to have this on my credit file.
  • Avoid this company at all costs. I called them to report a boiler fault only to be told that the repairs exceeded the value they were willing to pay so could not be carried out. I was then informed that the £75 fee I had paid to contribute to any potential repairs was in fact a call out fee and non refundable precisely because the repairs did not meet their terms and conditions. £75 payment for a 15 minute engineer visit to be told 'we cannot fix your boiler'. I have complained to be met with appalling, argumentative customer service staff and an 8 week estimate of when my complaint will receive a response. Save yourself the headache and pay extra for reputable cover.
  • B_M
    B_M Posts: 714 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I would fully advise anyone caught up with the 247 issues to contact Adviceguide. An arm of the CAB, but more dedicated. They will then pass on your complaint to Trading Standards and they should contact you with 2 working days. I believe Trading Standards are fully aware of 247 and how they operate(?) and are investigating them. The more ammunition they can gain from multiple complaints, the better chance of hitting 247 hard.

Adviceguide - 0345 4040506

Good luck
    No payments from financial products from cash back sites? Put in a complaint direct and if they don't resolve your issue, head straight to the financial ombudsman - it costs the company £550 in referral fees, win or lose.
  • Avoid this company at all costs. I called them to report a boiler fault only to be told that the The boiler is over 10 year old and I have to pay £75.00 upfront for engineer to come out..3 days later he did come out and told me it needed a diverter valve and Have to wait for home rescue to authorise 2 more days later they phoned me in work and then was told that the repairs exceeded £500.00 And I had to pay 40 persent of the cost and they pay the 60 percent cost they demanded over £300.00 or they cancel my policy then there, which I said I have to get advice first..when I got home and went on line they had cancelled my policy.i then checked with a local Plummer how much does it cost to replace a diverter valve on a valiant combi boiler he said it should cost no more than £250.00 parts and labour.well if I payed home rescue the £375.00 they wanted I would be paying for it all and they are not paying anything.what is my £15.00 a month service plan for .? I had get a local Plummer to fix in the end as I needed hot water as I got young children .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback