PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,087 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    caronc wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to my dinner tonight as I've not had sea bass in ages, not sure why as the one in the freezer has been there for a good bit.
    Well an epic fail at first hurdle, the sea bass smelt really iffy so it wasn't getting cooked or eaten.:mad:. It was bought "fresh" and frozen the same day and it should have been fine in the freezer, however it had been in there too long to complain about it now......:( I hate wasting food but I hate more the thought of eating anything potentially dodgy!
    Corned beef hash from the freezer instead:D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    caronc wrote: »
    Well an epic fail at first hurdle, the sea bass smelt really iffy so it wasn't getting cooked or eaten.:mad:. It was bought "fresh" and frozen the same day and it should have been fine in the freezer, however it had been in there too long to complain about it now......:( I hate wasting food but I hate more the thought of eating anything potentially dodgy!
    Corned beef hash from the freezer instead:D

Awwww, how disappointing, but better safe than sorry, and corned beef hash with carrots, onions and cabbage is a favourite of mine x
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    meg72 wrote: »
    Awwww, how disappointing, but better safe than sorry, and corned beef hash with carrots, onions and cabbage is a favourite of mine x
    Absolutely though I was :mad:, that said I thoroughly enjoyed the hash:D
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I've bought a lot more spuds recently than ever before. I bought 2.5Kg 10 days before Xmas, then 2.5Kg for Xmas, then 2.5Kg on 31st because Mr T, then 4ld1 had them at 29p or 39p or so.... and so it seemed daft not to.

I finished those and have bought another 2.5Kg this year.

So, really, really, pushing it and going out of my way to plough through the spuds .... I've still only managed 10Kg in 3 months. If they "kept forever" and if I bought 25Kg and never had to rush to get through them that'd probably do me for 2 years as I could slow down and just eat them when I wanted (not when they needed using).

Even at £5 for 25Kg (20p/Kg) ... I'd still not wish to waste a single spud, so I'd have to eat spuds every day, endlessly!

I buy my frozen chips because they work out at about 65p/Kg, which isn't bad and they're already peeled and chipped and part-cooked ... so just need a tiny bit of cooking compared to when staring at a raw spud with a skin on....

So you have used 10 kg in 3 months and I have used 25 kgs in six months, bearing in mind as previously posted I cater for two at weekends and the odd friend or family mid week. don't think that is so unrealistic, I have never bought a frozen chip, it would be 40p more a kg.

And let me assure you that not one of my of my sack of spuds has been wasted,
    Slimming World at target
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    meg72 wrote: »
    re Potatoes, I realise that not everyone has a frost free storage but if you have, garage, shed, old coal bunker or as in my case an outside meter cupboard. It is well worth buying in bulk I bought a 25kg sack for £5 last October and have just fished the last few out of the sack.
    I have a lean to built against the dividing stone wall with the neighbouring property. Problem is it is very ramshackle with lots of gaps and holes. I use it for coal and garden equipment but I dare not put anything edible in it. Vermin chewed the plastic handles of my secateurs - they would probably find potatoes quite tasty! :eek:
    Today's dilemma is that it is the weekly visit from the travelling fishmonger. He gets his fish straight from the docks and it's as different to supermarket fish as you could imagine. I usually get either sea bass or hake when he has it but that's my budget shot to holes. It's so expensive! Thinking.....:undecided
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Co-incidence pineapple, I have just made a fish order direct from cornwall. Fish is so expensive but at least there is no waste for me as I order all my fish to be skinned and filleted. I think I have one piece of fish left in my freezer, if so that will be on the menu today. I have room in the freezer and will cut and vac pack as needed. The cod is being sent as 1kg fillets

Today, possible fish, depends. Definitely a pasta/pesto meal for one meal
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    At 5.20 I put the kettle on to make a coffee....
    At 7.45 I still hadn't made it, so put the kettle on again .....
    I've just put the kettle on again and this time actually made it!

Starving... I might just have a bread roll and marg.
  • caronc
    pineapple wrote: »
    Today's dilemma is that it is the weekly visit from the travelling fishmonger. He gets his fish straight from the docks and it's as different to supermarket fish as you could imagine. I usually get either sea bass or hake when he has it but that's my budget shot to holes. It's so expensive! Thinking.....:undecided
    Personally I'd buy some but cut back elsewhere on my food budget. Super fresh fish is too good to miss out on.

Good morning everyone,
    Damp, dull and chilly here this morning here's hoping it brightens up a bit.
    I plan to use up some of my abundance of leeks today. I'll make a pot of soup this morning and I'm planning leek, mushroom and chicken pie for dinner. I'm going to make individual pies in the enamel pie dishes I treated myself to last year. I've used them for quite a few things so far but this will be the first "proper" pies I've made in them. I'll have one of these with cabbage, carrots and runner beans.:)
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm having to stay in for the workmen today to fix the toilet. What fun I have!:p

I went to the shop to buy some grapes, orange juice and fresh bread rolls (the rolls were for my husband) about 7 this morning. I keep thinking eating grapes might stop me feeling thirsty if I can't use the loo.

I probably won't eat properly until they leave. I have some GF pizza bases and will make a pizza later on.
    wort wrote: »
    Wednesday - my Kittie goes outside now but when he was a kitten I bought greenwoods plant fibre litter,
    Layered deep, then scooping after each no 1 or no 2 , it didn't need throwing the whole litter away for a few weeks. There was no smell ,though my Kittie is raw fed, so his no 2 are tiny, and don't smell anyway.
    The litter is compostable and can be flushed. Though I didn't flush it.

Sorry if TMI!

A few weeks?! That is good. I've never heard of that cat litter, I might try it, thanks.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,513 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Pineapple, blow the budget and get the hake!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback