Equal Pay - Gender Discrimination

Options

Comments

• Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Amy198 wrote: »
    All three people on the team perform the exact same job- same job description etc.
    Three members of the team are:
    1 - Male - Paid £31.5k - middle level of experience, bad performance reviews, longest time with company.
    2 - Male - Paid £26.5k - zero analyst experience at all, bad performance reviews, shortest time with company - hired to be my replacement while on secondment.
    3 - Female (me) - Paid £24k - most amount of analyst experience, rated as exceptional in performance reviews, medium amount of time with company.

Or just maybe they simply prefer the other two people and the management just dont rate you as highly as you rate yourself.

I personally feel i'm the dogs danglies at my job and worth every penny of a six figure salary..sadly my employer thinks im worth NMW...:D

Bottom line is if you dont like it open the door walk through it and keep going...really is simple as that.
  • Detroit
    Detroit Posts: 790 Forumite
    Options
    Or just maybe they simply prefer the other two people and the management just dont rate you as highly as you rate yourself.

I personally feel i'm the dogs danglies at my job and worth every penny of a six figure salary..sadly my employer thinks im worth NMW...:D

Bottom line is if you dont like it open the door walk through it and keep going...really is simple as that.

She could, or she could exercise her right to challenge a potentially illegal practice.

From the information provided it seems there is enough to demonstrate the employer could be discriminating on gender grounds. If it is not the case, the employer would then have the opportunity (indeed obligation) to prove it.

Not everyone is in the position to walk out of a job, and unless people are able to challenge poor employment practices, there are those who will be exploited.

The law exists to prevent this. I see no reason why people should not be advised to at least explore their legal options.

Put your hands up.
  • Les79
    Les79 Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    Options
    Detroit wrote: »
    She could, or she could exercise her right to challenge a potentially illegal practice.

From the information provided it seems there is enough to demonstrate the employer could be discriminating on gender grounds. If it is not the case, the employer would then have the opportunity (indeed obligation) to prove it.

Not everyone is in the position to walk out of a job, and unless people are able to challenge poor employment practices, there are those who will be exploited.

The law exists to prevent this. I see no reason why people should not be advised to at least explore their legal options.
    I have to admit that there is *something* to OP's case and I'm not in a position to provide advice on that.

But in my workplace there is a female who does the same work as me and yet she gets paid more than me. I could certainly make a new thread about possible gender discrimination as well, but the momentum in society is squarely on women being underpaid and I'd have no chance in hell! :rotfl:

Maybe I should be like OP and question things more, but ultimately I just take the attitude that some people get paid more for me and it comes down to how well you negotiate at interview stage. I've approached my boss about a pay rise and they've brickwalled me, so my only reasonable option is to seek alternative employment or hand in my notice and bluff them a bit.

This whole "equal pay" stuff feels, to me, like some scales which previously tipped in one direction but now is being tipped in another direction.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Detroit wrote: »

Sadly were not all made equal..some of us are simply better at somethings than others regardless of gender.

Just because a person feels they are good at there job,it doesn't mean the manager above agrees.
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    tenchy wrote: »
    So why are there many more female nurses, teachers, hairdressers and so on? Come on. What's your explanation?

Turn that round, why are there fewer men working as nurses, teachers and hairdressers?
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Turn that round, why are there fewer men working as nurses, teachers and hairdressers?

Maybe it holds no interest...why is it people now days are so desperate for everyone to be equal in every way.

Men and women and different and are simply by nature suited to different roles.
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Comms69 wrote: »
    Is this backed up by anything, or just an opinion?

Have a google - there are lots of articles online exploring this idea. And of course, it's an opinion - how on earth could you measure it accurately?!

Here's a couple to get you started:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25857895

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/08/gendered-toys-deter-girls-from-career-engineering-technology
  • KittenChops
    KittenChops Posts: 328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe it holds no interest...why is it people now days are so desperate for everyone to be equal in every way.

Men and women and different and are simply by nature suited to different roles.

Erm... do you think we shouldn't be equal?

(I'm ignoring the second statement - it's been covered!)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have a google - there are lots of articles online exploring this idea. And of course, it's an opinion - how on earth could you measure it accurately?!

Here's a couple to get you started:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25857895

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/08/gendered-toys-deter-girls-from-career-engineering-technology

I meant like a psychological study.

Ok, so I'll note your opinion, but with no backing behind it, I have no idea what weight to give it.

Two articles, again sharing an opinion of someone else - who hasn't done a study.

I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but to state an opinion as fact is no different to what other posters have done. e.g. some genders are better suited to jobs than others.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Erm... do you think we shouldn't be equal?

(I'm ignoring the second statement - it's been covered!)

Define 'equal'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport