PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2018 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,692 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent £4.90 in m&s on reduced item bargains that I really didn't need but could not resist. One woman had a trolley with 10 packs of fresh profiteroles in a triangle container. At 30p each they were a bargain but what would she do with all them?

I only went out to look at wallpaper m&s was next door and I came back with a big bag of nonsense.
  • ancientmum
    ancientmum Posts: 566 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    I am late getting on here as lost track over December but please can I join in for a yearly spend of £1040 for groceries and household and £480for cat litter and cat food. The groceries are me and DS3 when he is back home from uni. I have decided to do it on an annual basis as I want to see how it averages out over the year.

First spend of the year was £6.55 in Sains yesterday.
    Grocery challenge 2024: Annual budget £298.98/1200
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all,

Thanks for well wishes. I'm still feeling bleurgh, but oh had a lovely birthday nonetheless.

Children are with their dad until Sunday pm now, so will be able to eat very cheaply. It also means that (provided I'm better) I'll be doing the weekly shop alone. They're very good, but it still costs a few pounds when they're with me!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • ma-ri-ella
    Options
    morning everyone. Don't think i will need to buy anything before sat unless i see anything i like in the reduced section....even then it would just be milk which i could maybe stretch to Monday. Saturday i am off work so thinking could maybe do the rounds on 2x Tesco and Asda - make it into a walk haha . I do need to buy some cupboard basics but wanting to do it after i have "saved" some funds. Also off mon/tue so thinking will repeat sat and if not successful will try doing some cooking
    £365 a year spend challenge - this has included food/clothes/beauty?? who knows where I am
    20,000 step a day challenge
  • pipkin71
    pipkin71 Posts: 21,821 Forumite
    Options
    Spent £57.80 on a Tesco delivery today. Added to the £4.67 spent the other day, that's a total of £62.47 off £300, leaving £237.53 to spend.
    There is something delicious about writing the first words of a story. You never quite know where they'll take you - Beatrix Potter
  • ceb1995
    ceb1995 Posts: 388 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Spent £2.29 today on some milk, garlic bread and cheap snacks to keep us going till the big shop at the weekend, so total is now £7.39/£190.
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,712 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I've just been given a £30 W@itrose voucher, so I'll be using that to stock up the currently empty freezer.

Lors, you must be the only one on here who's got an empty freezer! :rotfl:Wish mine was!

:hello: Welcome to all the newbies and returners (the more the merrier) and ((( HUGS ))) to the poorlies.

First shop of the year today for milk, butter, potatoes, a savoy cabbage, a carton of beef spread, a pack of coconut macaroons and a large tub of brandy sauce that was ys at 2p. :) Yes, it's dated today and no, I can't freeze it but it should last 2-3 days more and I'll be using it up for puddings, in coffee and porridge. If it doesn't last that long, I've only lost 2p. Total spend: £9.15 and nothing more needed just yet.

My GC mantra has always been "stick within the budget" but I've adjusted it to "spend as little of the budget as possible". A review of the food inventories tell me it should be easy - for January at least. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Evening everyone. Today I spent €28.21 at a warehouse store to stock up on pesto for OH, some toiletries, shredded mozzarella, a container of Quorn crumbles and some other things to try new recipes this weekend.

Still haven't bought the blasted toilet paper yet! :rotfl: I don't know what it is about toilet paper and me. I always leave it to last minute and live on the edge for some reason. Hahah.

Tomorrow I'll head out for eggs, toilet paper, and some ground beef I think. Still haven't menu planned either. Phooey. I've been eating random things out of the cupboard and fridge so I feel a bit rudderless.

TOTALS SO FAR:
    €73.25 / €250.00
    1 NSD

I'll try to get a couple of NSDs in this weekend.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    YorksLass what do you do with the brandy sauce? OH bought a bunch of different creams/sauces like this for Christmas and we haven't used them yet. I've never had them before so am a bit lost as to how to incorporate them into cooking. Plus, I think OH is trying to cut down on rich stuff this January so if we don't find a way to use it, I may have to chuck it.
  • kayester
    kayester Posts: 1,844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    spend updated :) I know ive spent a bit but this thread has helped me thing about what I'm buying and spending less
    216/2018 (make ££ in 2018)

Grocery challenge
    Jan 227/400
    swagbucks target 2018 1452/27375
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business