MSE Discussion: MoneySavingExpert.com to join the MoneySupermarket.com group

Comments

• Quite sad to hear the news that ML has sold out, but for that money can you blame him? I really do enjoy this site, but fear I won't for much longer.
    This is my quest, to follow that star, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You're wrong.

You own the copyright to anything that you post on this forum. Upon posting it, you give MSE the right to use it as they wish.

Actually, you are wrong, or more correctly ignorant of the facts due to you not being able to understand what you read, or put two things together.

Why don't you try again..... I will help you through it.
    Originally Posted by deeplyblue viewpost.gif
    I entirely agree that legally Martin has not sold anything he was not entitled to sell.

I also noticed when I signed up that anything I posted immediately became the property of MSE, and that I was not, therefore, entitled to post the same bit of text anywhere else without the written permission of MSE. Occasionally I wondered if it would be worth re-posting some of the stuff I posted on one topic on another web, just to test that rule.
    Notice the text I have made bold, you are thinking in terms of now, but deeplyblue is talking in terms of when they joined, which was 2008.

Back around that time I remember a "discussion" about martin being a coward, after he said "I only fight fight's I know I can win".

I was one of those who called him a coward, and I cited the T&Cs (as they were at the time) as an example of his cowardice.

At the time, one term was very clear, once you post anything in his forum he owns it lock stock and barrel, he owns the copyright and you give up any rights you had to it. However, further down another term said clearly that he was in no way responsible for any post made on his forum, the poster remains solely responsible for what is posted.

As I said then, he was just after making money from the posts, claiming he owned them but was not man enough to take responsibility for them.

So deeplyblue's post is not wrong, as he/she is talking about when he/she joined, not when you joined.
  • SailorSam wrote: »
    i'm sure a quick search on Google will find us a new home.

Any suggestions?
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mbailey wrote: »
    A happy day for Martin, but a Very Sad day for MSE. :-(

To me the main advantage of MSE was independence and to know what was being said had no bias. Ok so for 3 years we might still have that, but after 3 years have passed and Martin has left what will be left of MSE...

If we take the example of financial products, for years Martin has been telling us to goto a true independent financial advisor who is not tied to any lender. Taking Martin's own advice, MSE can now no longer be trusted.

A sad day for money saving. :-(

There's actually a lot of truth in your post.

The problem is when a website becomes so popular that it attracts millions of eyeballs it then becomes EXTREMELY attractive for larger corporations to buy it.

We can't really blame Martin. Would you stick to your principles and continue running an unbiased site or pocket £ 87 million ?
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Who made his money on the back of the debt laden, bankrupt and poor. I hope he enjoys it.
    He has also helped more people than you can count. Who was there before Martin who would give advice like this? No one.
    Who set up a site to list information for people, information that he tried the best to keep up to date and include all the relevant info he could think of.

He did what he thought was best for his career and I like to think for the people he could advise.

It was a success, but it might not have been, but it was and it has now made him lots of money.

Is he a sell out, well yes he is and I'm sure deep down he knows that, he won't be taken so seriously now, but with £37 million, I wouldn't care either.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Quite sad to hear the news that ML has sold out, but for that money can you blame him?

No, I can't blame him. I may not like it, but I can't blame him as he only started the site to make money.

The problem now is, it is owned by "someone" who want's to make a lot more money out of us even faster than martin was.

They won't want to wait years to get their money back and start making a profit, there's no guarantee this site will still be profitable in a couple of years. So they will be looking to make money fast.

I wonder if they realise that there are only two things on this site worth anything, the users and the team that scour the threads picking out the posts that contain very useful information.
  • WISHIWASRICH_2
    WISHIWASRICH_2 Posts: 222 Forumite
    edited 1 June 2012 at 10:15PM
    Is he a sell out, well yes he is and I'm sure deep down he knows that, he won't be taken so seriously now, but with £37 million, I wouldn't care either.

Well I hope he can sleep....Just think? His kids can go to Harrow or Eton on the backs of the Debt Free wannabees, the bankrupt and all the oldstylers that use this site

....you couldn't make it up.
  • spiritus
    spiritus Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why are people calling him a sell out. Let me repeat this....MoneySavingExpert has been a revenue making website for a number of years.

Last year he made £ 16 million from advertising revenue, The previous year he made around £ 11.5 million from advertising revenue on MSE.

So when exactly did he "sell out" ? The moment he sold his site for £ 87 million or the moment he started making money from his website ?

Or the moment he made his first million ??
    No Unapproved or Personal links in signatures please - FT3
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Any suggestions?

Yes try g-o-o-g-l-e.
    Even though he's going i'm sure Marin and the Mods don't want me advertising other sites on here.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • Fifer
    Fifer Posts: 59,413 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Occy wrote: »
    Well... is it a massive investment?

to quote the BBC article:

This would imply that MS was paying MSE close to £10m a year so buying out MSE effectively saves them that £10m + they get the other £6m on top, I am sure there isn't many other ways to achieve an 18% annual return on your investment.

If those revenue streams continue, perhaps.

The figures do raise an interesting point however. Doesn't 59% of revenue coming from one single company's affiliate programme seem awfully high for an 'independent' site?
    There's love in this world for everyone. Every rascal and son of a gun.
    It's for the many and not the few. Be sure it's out there looking for you.
    In every town, in every state. In every house and every gate.
    Wth every precious smile you make. And every act of kindness.
    Micheal Marra, 1952 - 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport