Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Comments

• davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    michaels wrote: »
    I get the pleasure of spending stupidly early time outside on Sunday mornings watching netball, judging by the number of whistle blows there must be an awful lot of rules. Saturday mornings watching football is just as cold but at least the game makes sense :)

Too many pages today, must be Bubbs posting again...

Geegees, could I have 69 please - or failing that can I be straight under hippyc please.

Only goes to 40, so looks like you have Hippychick on top of you.
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Sunflower1227
    Sunflower1227 Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    zee25 wrote: »
    Hello
    I had a womble yesterday where the receipt shows a multi buy savin g toiletries 3F2, but the items all show full price on the Asda price guarantee comparison

2x Aussie Miracle Moist Conditioner For Dry,Really Thirsty Hair (90ml) £4.40 £3.00
    1x Aussie Miracle Moist Shampoo For Dry,Really Thirsty Hair (90ml) £2.20 £1.50

I have looked online and these are the travel toiletries which are 3 for 2 in store. If you click on the aeroplane you can see all the other items in the offer. May be useful as fillers if any are cheaper elsewhere?

Thank you all for posting all these bargains online, very helpful x

Don't forget you can claim £1.50 back on supersavyme for any Aussie product :)
    I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. :)

Weight loss 3 stone :D
  • davemorton
    davemorton Posts: 29,066
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    animated-horse-image-0350.gif
    It's Grand National Day Tomorrow. We have done it in the past, so against my better judgement, as I am carp at organising things, we should try to raise some money for good causes. Usual rules apply. Pick a number, copy the list (highlight, then press Ctrl 'C'), then paste it into a new post (press Ctrl 'V') and I will do my best to keep up with the chaos. I will request someone as my trusty person who will keep a copy list to the horses/corresponding numbers to make sure I don't cheat. The winner gets to choose the cause and we all pay our £2 to that cause. I hope im not breaking any forum rules, as all charity links/donation links will be put onto the relevant forum section. As ever there's no obligation to take part at all, and if it all goes breastage up, blame Bubbs Oh, and if you pick a non runner/donkey/3 legged albatross, tough!
    1. Anon
    2.Hillbern
    4. hippychicky
    5.Michaels
    8. Diluvsdiscounts
    10. cjj
    11. TM
    12. JTS
    13. TS
    14. SnS
    15. Hornetgirl
    16. Sarahdol75
    17. juju17
    19. pacifica9
    22. Pandoraskids
    25. Locarr
    27. AJ (tweets spending your money again :) )
    28. Lfab
    29. Chrisv
    30. Tweets
    31. BarleySugar
    33. MKS
    35.curl girl
    39.MrsJoJo
    40 its a secret 66
    “Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?”
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
  • Woolco
    Woolco Posts: 172 Forumite
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I had a Saturday job in Woollies. I started off in Fancy goods, moved onto pick and mix and ended up on the deli. I couldn't work the scales so just put whatever I thought in a bag:rotfl:

Can you remember your store number and all the codes? LOL.

I can! :)

Things seemed better back then eh?
  • Savvybuyer
    Savvybuyer Posts: 22,332
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:43PM
    Woolco wrote: »
    Well thanks again Savvybuyer. That information is now all stored up there. *points finger at head*

But see really if I do brand match instead of price guarantee, am I really just losing 10% ? I think I could live with that. Like tonight Tesco took £2.40 off my bill because of Jacobs crackers on checkoutsmart and the can of red bull. Whereas would Asda just have given me a coupon for say £3?

That's talking about your own shops - but, if you need money to buy them in the first place, such as vouchers to do so, that's best with A.

10% can be very little value. It would not look so great if it were called "Pay 90% of the price of the competitor". Especially on cheap items - for example something 50p at a competitor that's cheaper at the competitor gives just 5p. Even several low value items add up to very little. I often moan about particularly essentials shops, that are so expensive because the difference in price to competitors is not large enough - in fact they're same price on many of their items and ten per cent is a few pence except on their rollbacks that often lose money on the APG due to more likely being more than 10% cheaper - or else cuts your shop to being against the one competitor that happens to have it on offer - and then it loses because another rollback is cheaper at another competitor but full price (A is more than 10% cheaper) at the first.
    Although the end result is the same, I get more APG if an item is full price £1.98 in A and £1 at a targeted competitor than if it's on £1 rollback and price-matched to the £1 competitor - just 10p onto the voucher and the voucher then hardly worth printing:(.

I don't know how TBG works out for you - as to whether you are losing, it depends on what you are buying. When someone switches to A, it has to be viewed the other way around - so that it is T's cheaper prices, where A has equivalents, that could potentially be got 10% cheaper than T at A (however it doesn't work on whoopsies and goes by items on T's website). In T, we are looking for same price as A or A's prices less the value of coupons or CB that pays on the basis of T's shelf price (assuming that is the price it scans at at the till/self-service and appears on the receipt) rather than on A's price.

I have no idea what finger-pointing at your head means:rotfl:. Don't do gestures - I mean I don't do gestures - not of that type anyway, that don't mean words - no idea about any but the most obvious and most overt body language as I am apparently autistic. Hence why I draw attention by fumbling around at the till, not looking at people,:o or else get fail to be noticed by anyone at all:(:rotfl:. I spend literally hours trying in vain to attract someone's attention when the self-service messes up or I need to cancel an item:mad: (well, not literally:rotfl:). They don't - they don't notice I am there, trying to wave loudly at them: they go to anyone else instead as they can see them giving signals for assistance. Me - they'll turn round and face the other way, chatting to someone else that got their attention whilst behind them and their body language able to be transmitted behind someone for them still to notice it. I must either not transmit body language to anyone or else transmit body language that I am unaware of that is unknown or confusing to others or doesn't transmit anything or transmits the opposite of what I am feeling and thinking.

At the till, I'll be thinking inside "Can you stop chatting to that customer in front and just get rid of them and move to serving me?":mad: Other people second in the queue doubtless transmit that immediately and the cashier quickly realises they are waiting and does not continue into a long conversation with the customer in front and ignores the next person in the line, seemingly unaware they are there. People inadvertently ignore me (it's not their fault, they don't get any body language from me as I am unable to give it or do not know what to give). I can be there "I am bored, I am waiting, I am waiting, I am waiting" - desperately trying to transmit that to the assistant but they will not realise and will continue chatting, seemingly oblivious to my standing there, waiting and waiting and waiting patiently on the outside for ages. They only move up if someone else comes to wait behind me. Then they probably realise they are waiting, not me:rotfl:. I'll be trying to say "I am bored and I'm waiting and waiting" by my body (of course I cannot voice aloud as I'm not able to interrupt or know when a cue in the conversation comes for me to be able to find the nanosecond at which an interruption is able to be made and is not rude). No-one else will get that I am waiting inside. Maybe I need to think "I am happy here and completely patient and not waiting at all" and then that will cause my body to give the signal that I am waiting and then they will realise:rotfl:. I do not know how to stand or look to indicate my inner impatience. Even if I did, I feel I could not get precisely right the exact microsecond at which a glance or body language look needs to be given and the way in which it needs to happen. I think I may have got a response once when I thought the opposite of what I actually thought - but even then I do not know how my body looked or didn't.

In fact I haven't a clue about body language at all - obvious and completely stand-out smiling means you are happy and crying your eyes out means you are upset. Beyond that I do not see or have a clue.

(:rotfl:)

I bet my autism does show in my detailed replies (that people not on the spectrum won't know or be easily able to comprehend as it comes across as rambling as it contains too many points to be understood easily - to me, too much information is never too much as, of course, I know everything and know it all:rotfl:).
  • Woolco
    edited 13 April 2018 at 11:54PM
    Savvybuyer wrote: »
    That's talking about your own shops - but, if you need money to buy them in the first place, such as vouchers to do so, that's best with A.

10% can be very little value. It would not look so great if it were called "Pay 90% of the price of the competitor". Especially on cheap items - for example something 50p at a competitor that's cheaper at the competitor gives just 5p. Even several low value items add up to very little. I often moan about particularly essentials shops, that are so expensive because the difference in price to competitors is not large enough - in fact they're same price on many of their items and ten per cent is a few pence except on their rollbacks that often lose money on the APG due to more likely being more than 10% cheaper - or else cuts your shop to being against the one competitor that happens to have it on offer - and then it loses because another rollback is cheaper at another competitor but full price (A is more than 10% cheaper) at the first.
    Although the end result is the same, I get more APG if an item is full price £1.98 in A and £1 at a targeted competitor than if it's on £1 rollback and price-matched to the £1 competitor - just 10p onto the voucher and the voucher then hardly worth printing:(.

I don't know how TBG works out for you - as to whether you are losing, it depends on what you are buying. When someone switches to A, it has to be viewed the other way around - so that it is T's cheaper prices, where A has equivalents, that could potentially be got 10% cheaper than T at A (however it doesn't work on whoopsies and goes by items on T's website). In T, we are looking for same price as A or A's prices less the value of coupons or CB that pays on the basis of T's shelf price (assuming that is the price it scans at at the till/self-service and appears on the receipt) rather than on A's price.

I have no idea what finger-pointing at your head means:rotfl:. Don't do gestures - I mean I don't do gestures - not of that type anyway, that don't mean words - no idea about any but the most obvious and most overt body language as I am apparently autistic. Hence why I draw attention by fumbling around at the till, not looking at people,:o or else get fail to be noticed by anyone at all:(:rotfl:. I spend literally hours trying in vain to attract someone's attention when the self-service messes up or I need to cancel an item:mad: (well, not literally:rotfl:). They don't - they don't notice I am there, trying to wave loudly at them: they go to anyone else instead as they can see them giving signals for assistance. Me - they'll turn round and face the other way, chatting to someone else that got their attention whilst behind them and their body language able to be transmitted behind someone for them still to notice it.

In fact I haven't a clue about body language at all - obvious and completely stand-out smiling means you are happy and crying your eyes out means you are upset. Beyond that I do not see or have a clue.

(:rotfl:)

I bet my autism does show in my detailed replies (that people not on the spectrum won't know or be easily able to comprehend as it comes across as rambling as it contains too many points to be understood easily - to me, too much information is never too much as, of course, I know everything and know it all:rotfl:).

Hi Savvybuyer. Finger pointing at head was just meaning you have taught me stuff I didn't know and it is now in my head. I can say that autism doesn't show in your replies. Your replies are amazing and will help me save some money.
  • Savvybuyer
    Forumite
    It has its benefits - I think I am usually less easily noticed when I am collecting receipts. People around me will not notice me especially when they are talking (through spoken voice not body language though they are doing that too) to someone else and all their attention is in that. I could probably burgle a house unnoticed, although I would not attempt to do so (or therefore actually do so, obviously). Just making the point that people generally don't notice things (other than the presence of other people who are not autistic). Whereas I notice everything - except the body language of other people. I could get up to real mischief but I certainly won't - particularly as I am the rules-complier. I will notice signs and take them literally - whilst no-one else would pay them any attention or even notice them let alone attempt to comply with them.
  • Savvybuyer
    Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 12:22AM
    Woolco wrote: »
    Hi Savvybuyer. Finger pointing at head was just meaning you have taught me stuff I didn't know and it is now in my head. I can say that autism doesn't show in your replies. Your replies are amazing and will help me save some money.

It does. It's there, subtly, in the wording, the expression, even if you didn't notice it. The correctness (or attempt at correctness that actually fails to achieve it, unknowingly). Out of interest (or none), they (in this case the National Autistic Society) say you can't tell by looking at someone that someone is autistic. Oh, I think you can:D. I don't mean by detailed study of the way in which someone walks, which I think can give a clue - or noticing their lack of body language/eye contact. I think autistic people do tend to look a certain way - a certain expression, a certain facial look, possibly so detailed that it's only visible to an autistic person:rotfl:. I don't know - it's just people that reveal they are autistic seem to me sometimes (or often) to have this look. Obviously different people have different faces and there are some characteristics of non-autistic people that overlap and make tend to make them look "autistic" - or more likely the reverse, someone who has autism may look almost not. But I think there is a certain subtlety there that tends to indicate to me that people may have autism - or I notice it when I know they are autistic and see how they look. Or maybe it is a face affected by depression illnesses, that people who have autism are perhaps more likely to suffer from. I wouldn't say it was sad though - it's this face of cluenessness or dithering (:o:o:rotfl::rotfl:), something that indicates a square peg standing not knowing what to do or not in a situation they have encountered or looking like a bit lost. I know this is painting a very unflattering image of myself that is not in my interest:rotfl:. I am not here to paint myself good though - but will tell you even if it makes me look bad. People who have autism tend to be like this - or rather I am - I reveal reasons to reject me rather than making myself look good. I am not here for self-interested reasons but truly altruistic and do things against my own interest sometimes in the name of truth and honesty, otherwise called not giving a very good impression.

However, I wouldn't say anyone should use any of what I say to try to diagnise someone, as I think you'll probably be wrong. Assumptions that people make are often wrong. (Can I add to you'll probably be wrong, especially if you are not on the autism spectrum or would that be seen as rude as too truthful? However, the exact wording is important - as ever. "Especially if" does not mean automatically if - just means maybe non-autistic people might tend to be more likely to get this particular thing wrong whereas an autistic person may be able to spot it more likely to be right. But just because they may tend to be (not actually be) more likely to be right (even assuming I was correct that they were) they may be wrong and the non-autistic person that was merely "more likely" to be wrong might be right.)
  • Woolco
    Hi. Well its a big THANK YOU for now. My eyes are closing. Night.
  • Savvybuyer
    Forumite
    edited 14 April 2018 at 1:23AM
    Of course, I distracted myself into a tangent of rambling and forgot to say what I meant to say.

Now this website has somehow transferred me to another website (albeit apparently 'owned' by MSE itself) and I've lost what I was posting:mad:. I won't be able to rewrite what I was saying but maybe this will make me succinct - whilst a 50p A price vs 50p competitor that comes out best overall is just 5p off (or 5p back) where it really comes into its own is with the glitches we get.

I was then on about the fact it's not always about targetted shops, but if you need vouchers in the first place to be able to buy items - those would be APG vouchers and you would then be having to use them at A and could just pay A's prices as A, whilst not always cheap, isn't a generally expensive supermarket across the range. Although competitors can go to better prices - for example half price is often better than A's rollbacks at £1, whilst A might give a low amount off (especially if the offer price of the competitor is lower, 10% is then lower) if a target shop is done at the time of the competitor offer plus a slight delay, you may need real cash to buy from the competitor - so might be better sometimes to buy at A's rollback price when on rollback there and just buy the one or two items with a womble. It's effectively free money to spend at A, which would need real cash to buy from the competitor.

I don't always buy at A though - on some or even many occasions particularly with essential items, one place or another - and it is a different place on each so still need to shop around and buy each at the best place - is cheaper than A on some non-comparable item, different pack size etc. no equivalent at A, and I'll buy the item at the place that has the lowest price. I can't buy at A and compare to Aldi for example. And S may be cheaper on Basics Chicken Pies as A doesn't have S/price. Buying a more expensive item at A would still be worse off, even if with a womble, as whether womble or real cash it is all the same as if the value was real cash. So you'd be best using the womble to buy more cheaper items at A, on which A was best, and then paying less cash at elsewhere rather than necessarily buying a more expensive product of same type at A with the womble and then not being able to buy the cheaper items that you would have bought at A and still needing cash to buy them from somewhere (as you still need those items).

I normally buy my Chicken Pies (if I buy them at all) from T - I don't know why as they seem to have very little chicken and have to be prised away from their foil once cooked which generally ruins them - I have been having to buy 4 Minced Beef & Onion from M as cheapest pies recently - but recently bought one pack of Chicken Pies from S - and, at same price as T, was much better - more chicken it seemed to me and came out of the foil easily. I was buying from T to get CC points, but only bought from S of course as I had an exact £2.50 in Nectars to spend (I know you can double up but I never need to buy any of the non-grocery items ever anyway so just prefer to spend the £2.50 or £5 and do so on the few items on which S actually is 'good' value). In fact it was my third S that happened to have the pies, after trying two stores that had no stock of "sale items". It wasn't really costing me to travel to different stores as I was walking and getting my exercise by walking around my local area. I finally bought something when at my final store and given the final option of what items I was able to buy that day. It was the only one that had the pies - I wondered whether to spend the £2.50 on a shop at all or to leave with nothing and then be able to buy the 50p Rapeseed Oil later that my first store was OOS but might come back into stock and have no Nectar points to spend if I did a shop now. I think I made the right choice though - of apparently also buying a large bag of sweets on the day their offer seems to have ended - as I went back to my store with the Rapeseed Oil SEL on sale, whilst stocks last, that I was told was something that might come back into the store later - and I don't think I will ever catch up with it later as now no trace at all in the store. No Rapeseed Oil there (of the right one) and SEL has completely gone as well now.

I may buy two more packs of pies at S when I have freezer space back later, now I have another exact £2.50. Of course 50p on something else preferably without buying anything that is more expensive at S than elsewhere. Or I will buy Mince Beef & Onion in future from M as I generally like M more than S that are usually v.expensive on quite a lot of things in my view and just don't really like S or T that much:rotfl:. Think I won't buy Eday Chicken pies at T anymore as they are not as good as the Basics ones currently are at S. Unless this "negative feedback" on the internet maybe gets seen by T and they change their pies in response - you never know!

I mentioned nothing about chicken pies, or rapeseed oil, in my OP that I lost:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:. I [Strike]don't[/Strike] know why I ramble. (Or, rather, keep editing my post to add further thoughts, that then make me ramble.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure