Wing Mirror Replacement

Options
Hi,

Today a delivery driver in a white van damaged my wing mirror and my scratch the side of my car. Took all his details etc so I can report it to my insurance company but I'm concerned about doing this.

I'm 32 but a new driver and I've only had the car for 1 month and I'm worried that claiming on the insurance may cause my insurance to go up. I've been told by different people to just get it repaired but unsure of what is the best option.

Can anyone give me some advice?

Regards

Comments

• sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    AntoBrow wrote: »
    Hi,

Today a delivery driver in a white van damaged my wing mirror and my scratch the side of my car. Took all his details etc so I can report it to my insurance company but I'm concerned about doing this.

Regards

It will be expensive either way. If you are going to do it properly, you need to report it to the police too.
  • jlemaitre
    jlemaitre Posts: 299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, But more importantly you've not told us what car its is, year and model. Some cars are very easy to swap wing mirrors over and cost a small sum of money. Are the scratches deep, a MOP can get thinner scratches out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    It will be expensive either way. If you are going to do it properly, you need to report it to the police too.
    Why involve the police?

No one is injured and all details have been exchanged.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't seen a wing mirror in years :-)

When I clipped the door mirror recently, the replacement was £600 + painting!!!!!
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 3,997 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    I haven't seen a wing mirror in years :-)

When I clipped the door mirror recently, the replacement was £600 + painting!!!!!

Perhaps they charged you double for being such a pedant? ;)
  • Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    You REPORT the incident to your insurance company but you CLAIM from the van driver, if you have his insurance details as you intimate above.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Depends on the car and age of car. I replaced some door mirrors on a 206 years ago more than once, I used to get them off eBay for around £20-30. Five minutes to fit.
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

Not if there's no injuries and they've exchanged details.
  • AntoBrow
    Options
    Hi all,

It's a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2016.

Not sure if there is any need to report this to the police.

Didn't get the insurance details but I have spoken with the company the driver works for so it shouldn't be a problem to get this.

The scratch is pretty deep, I think it's about 3-4mm deep.

Still unsure of whether to go with my insurance company or just sort out between me and the company.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AntoBrow wrote: »
    Hi all,

It's a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2016.

Not sure if there is any need to report this to the police.

Didn't get the insurance details but I have spoken with the company the driver works for so it shouldn't be a problem to get this.

The scratch is pretty deep, I think it's about 3-4mm deep.

Still unsure of whether to go with my insurance company or just sort out between me and the company.

That aint a scratch, it's a gouge.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport