GP medical letters

How much are GP surgeries legally allowed to charge for letters you request to prove your medical history for courts? I thought medical letters cost around £15 but today my mother asked her gp to write one as she has been called up for jury service and cannot do it due to her health issues and the courts are demanding proof and the gp wants to charge her £45, which I think is extortionate. It's the courts that want the letter and my mother is an oap and there's not even discount for that. Surely this cost is too high?

Comments

• keithdc
    keithdc Posts: 459 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Endielle wrote: »
    How much are GP surgeries legally allowed to charge for letters you request to prove your medical history for courts? I thought medical letters cost around £15 but today my mother asked her gp to write one as she has been called up for jury service and cannot do it due to her health issues and the courts are demanding proof and the gp wants to charge her £45, which I think is extortionate. It's the courts that want the letter and my mother is an oap and there's not even discount for that. Surely this cost is too high?

The GP has offered your mother a private service at a price- you are welcome to accept it or identify another doctor to provide that same private service.

Whether the cost should be met by your mother or the court service is for your mother to discuss with the courts.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The GP has to check your mother's records, dictate a letter, get it typed by a secretary, check it and sign it. That will take more than 9 minutes of time, which is what you'd get at the equivalent for a private GP consultation (Bupa charge £70 for a 15 min appointment).

However, a doctor cannot charge for a certificate To establish unfitness for jury service (Juries Act 1974)

Certificates GPs cannot charge for (British Medical Association, updated Feb 2017)
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!

However, a doctor cannot charge for a certificate To establish unfitness for jury service (Juries Act 1974)

Certificates GPs cannot charge for (British Medical Association, updated Feb 2017)
    Fab bit of research. :T
  • Cyclizine
    Cyclizine Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    It's not your mother who should contact the GP - Your mother should inform the clerk of the court / court officer that she isn't medically fit. They may then contact the GP or may accept your mother's word. She would not have to pay for this. Simply going to the GP an requesting a letter will be treated as a private service like any other and charged for appropriately.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure