ASDA Money cashback credit card rate drop

Comments

• N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    My letter too. But I saw yesterday that Aldi are accepting AMEX and as I just bought air tickets on Amex, I am on 1% for the rest of the year. Bye Bye ASDA card
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • smipsy
    smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    N9eav wrote: »
    My letter too. But I saw yesterday that Aldi are accepting AMEX and as I just bought air tickets on Amex, I am on 1% for the rest of the year. Bye Bye ASDA card

good stuff!

i applied for amex at the end of November, and at that time I got their "someone needs to check it" message, and few days got declined. it was only later that I ended up checking ClearScore where I realised that my report with them is totally messed up, they had me as not on electoral roll and had no information about my cards at all for whatever reason (noddle and mse club both have all my data)

Normally I'd get an amex now too for the cashback, since asda is dropping, but i guess it's far too soon to apply again with amex, so i'll just stick with aqua I suppose :D
  • darren72
    darren72 Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We still haven't had our Asda credit card letter....
  • WillyWonga
    WillyWonga Posts: 324 Forumite
    Not had mine yet doesn!!!8217;t surprise me as everything they do us soooooo slow.

Manual payments I make via online banking take 2/3 days to show up compared to 2-3 hours for my Cap 1 card. Direct debit taken 2 days ago still not showing as cleared compared to next day for Cap 1.

I!!!8217;ll be ditching the card after next statement.
  • sharsky53
    sharsky53 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I have both Asda cards and will ditch the Plus card after 14 April as per the letter and use the standard 1% card for Asda only. Tandem card no good to me as they don't have a windows app or provide additional card holders and only discovered this after opening an account so now closed that. Tried Aqua who only tell you your credit limit when you receive the card. Offered a poultry £1200 so cancelled that account immediately. Had an Amex card when I worked and earned lots of cashback but now retired and to be honest it's more trouble than its worth as there are so many retailers who won't accept it, B&Q for example. Now got the Amazon card who gave a really good credit limit which is needed for paying for holidays. Drawback is you have to use the points to buy from Amazon. Will all this change when we leave the EU since it was them that squashed card providers to offer cashback.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Aqua is a sub-prime provider. I wouldn't be surprised if £1200 is the max they offer on new accounts.
  • Yep £1,200 is Aqua's max initial limit across any card (Apart from Aqua Start which is £100-£300), but if you have a decent credit record it'd promptly go up (even my limit is just under 2k and mine's trashed)

Asda have updated their terms:
    Please note that with effect from 13th April the cashback you earn outside of Asda is changing to 0.2%. If you are accepted for a card today, the change to your account will be delayed by at least 3 months.
    You will be notified 1 month before this change is applied.

Anyone with the Asda Start or the Cashback Plus (monthly fee) card, could try applying for the normal Asda Cashback card - you'll then (if accepted) get 3 months.

Obviously slightly hit to the credit file of a new account and new search though, so don't try this if you've got any big apps coming in the next 6 months or so.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not eligible :rotfl:
  • smipsy
    smipsy Posts: 203 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    so how exactly does it work now? all transaction before 13th will be 0.5%, everything after 0.2%? All transaction in the statement including 13th will be rated as 0.2%?

have some shopping to do tomorrow, so wondering whether to use the ASDA card or Aqua :D
  • sharsky53
    sharsky53 Posts: 18 Forumite
    I will stop using my plus card as of 14 April (date given in my letter) but will use it for ASDA purchases until statement date which will be around 25th April. This is so I get maximum offset for the £3 fee. I will then call them to cancel the card and use the green ASDA card for ASDA purchases only. The plus card served me well whilst in use and most cashback was earned outside of ASDA. It's becoming increasingly difficult to get anything back out of these greedy credit card companies.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    sharsky53 wrote: »
    It's becoming increasingly difficult to get anything back out of these greedy credit card companies.
    Not sure that particular patch of moral high ground is particularly sustainable: "they won't give me as much money as I want so that makes them greedy"! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure