Barclaycard PPI Rejected

Hi,

Sorry if this has been answered a millions times before. I'm a regular reader of the site but rarely check the forums.

I complained with Barclays/Barcalycard about PPI being mis-sold to me using their online form. I used to bank for many years with Barclays, so I had 4 claims with them. I was fairly generic with the online form and filled out as little as possible as I was worried about putting the wrong thing.

I had success with one claim (a Barclays loan) a week or so ago, and today I received a letter from Barclaycard rejecting another claim.

My explanation was that "PPI was not explained to me" and their reason for rejection is that because I made the application in one of their branches, I would have been "told about any significant exclusions". This was almost 20 years ago so I can't recall much of the conversation to confirm if they're correct.

What would be the next stage to process this claim? I called up Barclaycard who offered to reopen the case but asked for reasons why. I said I'd get back to them.

Should I go back to them and suggest I felt forced into it, and the cooling off period was never explained? Or is it best to go directly to the Financial Ombudsman to get a result?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,261
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If you were forced into taking PPI I would have thought you would have mentioned this in your original complaint and ditto cancellation period not explained to you, though the latter is really just a subset of the original "PPI wasn't explained to me" - you admit you can't remember the conversation.To be frank I think FOS and the complaints handler at Barclays are just going to think you're making it up as you go along in "the dog ate my homework" kind of way.

Do you have any strong complaint reasons as to why Barclays should not have sold you PPI which can be backed with some evidence?
  • wickjnr
    wickjnr Posts: 5 Forumite
    Thanks for your answer.

My original complaint was for an Egg Card, and on the online form I asked them to check other accounts I had with them.

The "PPI was not explained to me" was for the Egg Card (which it turns out I didn't have PPI for), not for the Barclaycard claim.

Is it worth contacting them explaining this, or have I ruined any chance I've gott in reclaiming this?

I also find it odd they accepted this excuse for a Barclays loan, but have rejected this.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,261
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The loan was probably single premium PPI, so virtually a guaranteed upheld complaint.
  • wickjnr
    Thanks again.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 115,904
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    My explanation was that "PPI was not explained to me" and their reason for rejection is that because I made the application in one of their branches, I would have been "told about any significant exclusions". This was almost 20 years ago so I can't recall much of the conversation to confirm if they're correct.

Complaints relying on hypothetical conversations decades earlier rarely succeed on that particular point.
    What would be the next stage to process this claim? I called up Barclaycard who offered to reopen the case but asked for reasons why. I said I'd get back to them.

Look at the more factual reasons that are easier to prove. Eligibility etc. (although Barclaycard should already have done that based on what you have told them).
    hould I go back to them and suggest I felt forced into it, and the cooling off period was never explained?

People who feel forced into buying again tend to lack evidence. However, those that complain relatively quickly (even up to a year) are typically considered credible. However, that credibility is lost over time and someone complaining that they were force sold 20 years ago has no credibility. Especially when they say themselves that they cannot remember.
    r is it best to go directly to the Financial Ombudsman to get a result?
    What makes you think you will get a result with the FOS? They are rejecting over half of credit card PPI complaints now.
    I also find it odd they accepted this excuse for a Barclays loan, but have rejected this.

Single premium loan PPI vs regular premium credit card PPI. Loan PPi has more failings. Most loan PPI complaints succeed. Only around half of credit card PPI complaints succeed.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • wickjnr
    Thanks, dunstonh.

As frustrating as it is, I agree that it would be difficult for me to prove that I was mis-sold all those years ago.

I was actually surprised I would have been paying for this, as although I was pretty useless at checking statements in my late teens/early twenties, I'm the type of person that would always turn down things like this if it was offered to me.
  • bexl
    bexl Posts: 10 Forumite
    I know this is an old thread but really interested in any update- did you progress with the claim and was you successful.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It doesn't matter if they did.

Not only is the thread a year and a half old, but the OP's experience will have no bearing on your complaint.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    bexl wrote: »
    I know this is an old thread but really interested in any update- did you progress with the claim and was you successful.

As above, little point in asking poster "wickjnr" who has not logged into this site for eighteen months and whose experience has no bearing whatsoever to your own.

Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport