Re: Injury solicitors asking for money

My son had a call from a solicitors company last year. He had been involved in a minor accident and his insurance company had decided not to pursue the matter which was not his fault but they said if he wanted to take it further with other solicitors within 6 years he could. He forgot about it and was contacted by a firm of solicitors who said they felt he had a claim - he explained was his insurance company had said but they insisted they could get a settlement. They visited him and nothing much happened - he has not received a bill for £2500 from them insisting that he did not tell them about the claim with his insurance company and so mislead them and now will have to pay this money for calls etc that they made on his before. Would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Jackiemj wrote: »
    he has not received a bill for £2500 from them
    Not received a bill?

Assuming you mean he has now received a bill, I don't think anyone here is privy to anything legally contractual he has put his signature to.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,870
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Ignore the letter, and if chased for the debt remind them that your son did tell them about the claim and that this will be his defence in court. They will have a devil of a job proving that he did not tell them about the claim unless they recorded the conversation. Did they record the conversation?
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Did he get any paperwork through to sign? Keep all correspondence, write down dates of calls, was it just the one telephone call. Was your son told calls are recorded? The call centre operative probably just proceeded anyway due to needing to get conversions, and noe scare tactics are being used.
    If you hear back from them request a DSAR (free after 25th May) for transcripts of all calls. If they have no telephone recordings and your son did not sign any documentation, it will be hard for them to prove anything.
  • did he sign a Conditional fee agreement CFA? for no win no fee or any other fee agreement, Solicitors are regulated by the Law society and have strict procedures and conduct regulations.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure