Claiming from Midland Bank

I thought I had PPI on a loan and CC from Midland in the 1990's but never thought about claiming as I could not be sure, and did not think I had any paperwork, so thought no more of it.

Anyhow, last week I was looking in the loft and found old files of financial stuff and bank statements. Ive now found copies of two protected personal loans, where the PPI was front loaded, and bank statements showing payments over the period of the loan agreements, it also appears that I consolidated between the two agreements, and payed a further amount of PPI, its detailed on my statement, but I dont have the loan agreement for this one. never needed PPI as had the same employer since graduation! with very good benefits.

Ive also had cardholder repayment on my midland CC and I have claimed for this for the period 1995-2000 (the period for which I have statements for)

ive had an initial letter back from HSBC but only in relation to one of the loans, stating they dont have records and closing the claim unless I can provide some evidence of PPI on the loan.

has anyone had success by providing statements alone (for the loan i dont have the agreement no for)

ive no issue providing all the details of the agreements and statements and copies to HSBC.

TIA

Comments

• amersall
    amersall Posts: 17,004
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    When you made the mis sell claim you should have sent copies of all the information you have relating to these loans.

They may not take bank statements for the second loan unless they can find you from the payment number, you will need all of the statements for the whole of the loan term, this does not mean that you paid PPI, it will just show the payments made.

Send copies of everything you have and see what they come back with.

They will want to see the loans paid to the end of the loan term.
  • Hi

thanks for the response

The first loan (for which I have the agreement appears to have been consolidated into the second one and a new PPI charge added,unfortunately I only have my bank statement as evidence, but its clearly stated) the last loan consolidated the second and had a new charge for PPI added (ive got the agreement for this one)

I used the online form from HSBC - no option to attach documents, if it had I would have done this

The bank statements show individual transactions for the PPI at the commencement of each loan, and Ive got almost all monthly statements from the period (fortunately, else I fear i would be stuffed!).
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    I used the online form from HSBC - no option to attach documents, if it had I would have done this
    Obviously you'll have to respond to their letter by normal mail. Send them your evidence (copies not originals) and point out how you feel it contradicts their conclusions. Send any letter first class, but just get a receipt of postage-don't use Recorded or Registered.

Remember, you need to show that the loan in question had PPI, so you may struggle to do this if your statements show only your loan repayments with no breakdown of what you were actually paying.
  • fortunately The PPI payment is a separate line item on the statement and stated as Payment Protection Ins.

So in one line there is a credit for the loan amount + PPI

the next line shows a debit for the whole loan PPI

next line below that is a credit against previous PPI when consolidating loans

have just been copying all statements/agreements this morning and will post tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    fortunately The PPI payment is a separate line item on the statement and stated as Payment Protection Ins.

So in one line there is a credit for the loan amount + PPI

the next line shows a debit for the whole loan PPI

next line below that is a credit against previous PPI when consolidating loans

have just been copying all statements/agreements this morning and will post tomorrow.

All solid evidence which the Bank won't be able to argue against. Good luck!
  • just an update

having submitted all of my documentation to the bank on 11 april,I received a letter on 17 May (letter dated 9th may) from HSBC which appeared a standard letter but basically said they hoped I was happy with the resolution of my complaint but if not I could got to the ombudsman. I had not had details of any resolution so I called HSBC who said there were two letters posted on the 9th, the other letter he would not discuss with me only to say I needed to take ID to the bank to be verified. the call centre said not to wait for the letter but go to any branch as soon as possible. so I went to local branch and they were less than helpful, telling me I needed the letter. they took my forms of ID anyhow and said the complaint team would be in touch within a week. The missing letter still has not arrived.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,553
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If they offer access to the FOS they have rejected you (possibly paying out for Plevin). Remember the 6 month deadline for FOS
  • Thanks will update again once ive got the missing letter, the generic one i did get did not come from the Claims team, whereas the initial letters I had did come from Coventry
  • Finally the mystery letter turns up almost one week after the other yet both dated 9th May. its a stanard letter to verify ID, so ive taken it in and sorted this afternoon, what chance it gets sorted within the 8wks as detailed on their original letter of 4th April!.
  • Update - now we have gone over 8wks since original claim (closer to 10), ive not had any letter from HSBC, I ve rang them this morning and the guy said they have all the supporting info and verification details , but the case was still under investigation and he had put a note on for them to update me.

I thought they had to provide this anyway if going to take longer than 8wks?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure