Water meter installed in HMO

Hi,
I've recently moved into a new student house, where 8 of us will be living for this academic year. When we looked into estimates of tariffs with a meter installed, it was very uneconomic compared to paying a flat rate. However, we were notified the other day that our landlord is installing a meter. I am just wondering if anyone knows a few things about this e.g.

- Do we have to use the meter; can we just get the "flat rate" option anyway?
- I know it is the landlord's property but is installing a meter without tenants permission allowed?

Thanks

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    It is probably being imposed by the water company.

Since 1990 the water companies can compulsorily fit a meter on change of occupant.(see The Water Act) In the past some companies often didn't bother, but now it has become more common for the companies to exercise their rights.

There are other reasons why a meter must be fitted, e.g an extension/change of use, in a designated water shortage area etc.

You, as new occupants, have no choice in the matter and cannot elect to have non-metered rates(based on Rateable Value)

I suspect it is highly unlikely that the landlord would have elected to have a meter.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'm guessing that the eight of you will have to be mindful of how much water you are using as the more you use, the more it's going to cost.

It's the same with energy, now you are living away from home all the stuff you took for granted when your parents were forking out for it all and moaning about you leaving lights or the TV on or wasting water by standing in the shower for ages will be your collective responsibilty.

It's gonna be a big learning curve especially if you are going to split the bills between eight of you as those who waste will be subsidised by those that don't so you need to get the rules sorted before you start.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    There will only be one person on the bill and they will be responsible for making sure its paid, the water company wont care its being split 8 ways

I would make sure its in the landlords name
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport