PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    poppystar wrote: »
    How mini is your chopper and would you recommend it? I'm looking for something small so I can blitz ingredients together, chop dates etc. But something mini enough to fit in a mini kitchen and not cost the earth. Someone mentioned something the other day but nearly fell over when I googled and saw the prices:(
    I have a tefal mini pro chopper, I see it's now £30 ish but I paid no more than £20 over 3 years ago. I have to say it's really good far better than other ones I've had over the years (Russell Hobbs, Kenwood) so worth every penny. It's compact and chops really well and evenly even small amounts of things. When it goes I'd get another even at the higher price:)
  • caronc
    :)

They do that a lot here, on this money saving site .... and they don't even realise they're doing it as it's their "norm"...

:)
    Yep some gadgets are scarily expensive for what they are though some are definitely worth it. I bought a second hand 1960s Kenwood Chef of ebay around 10 years ago, paid £60 but it's just fab far better than the new ones. My cheap slowcookers (Argos cookworks ones) are far better than a much dearer Morphy Richards one I have (bought by my ex - who was definitely a "brand man"):)
  • poppystar
    poppystar Posts: 1,294 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    caronc wrote: »
    I have a tefal mini pro chopper, I see it's now £30 ish but I paid no more than £20 over 3 years ago. I have to say it's really good far better than other ones I've had over the years (Russell Hobbs, Kenwood) so worth every penny. It's compact and chops really well and evenly even small amounts of things. When it goes I'd get another even at the higher price:)

Thanks I'll have a look at that one. £30 is not too bad - it was the £300 price tag on something else that gobsmacked me:shocked:
  • caronc
    poppystar wrote: »
    Thanks I'll have a look at that one. £30 is not too bad - it was the £300 price tag on something else that gobsmacked me:shocked:
    The what.......:eek:
  • caronc
    caronc wrote: »

Tonight is definitely an experiment I've stuffed toms & peppers with rice or couscous mixes before but never sausage. In my trusty mini- chopper I've whizzed the skinned bangers, 1/2 an onion, 3 mushrooms, garlic, 1/2 a red pepper, garlic, the insides from the tomato, some breadcrumbs, oregano, black pepper and a wee bit of salt. I've used this to stuff the tomato and the other half of the red pepper which I'll pop in the oven in a bit.
    Oh er this was really, really good:D. Reminded me of the sobrasada sausage used to stuff veg etc. in Mallorca re texture/taste though obviously not as meaty. Definitely a keeper :D
  • caronc wrote: »
    Can completely relate..... I've a 5ft one and a 6ft one (that said the six foot is pretty narrow as part of a side-by-side fridge-freezer:(. That said as I'm reliant on on-line food shopping it helps to well-stocked (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rotfl::rotfl:)

If you make it December 2020, I might be in with a chance of joining you:eek:.

)

Well - do we blame the fact we were both civil servants for that one caron? That being - the mindset of "be prepared" and "cover your back". :cool:

Now do you have a "paper trail" of the details of everything you've got stashed in those freezers?:rotfl:

We'll have to watch it you know - or we'll be as slow to change course (ie in my case meaning = change the way of eating) as the Civil Service is to do anything. Whoops - is being cynical about our late/not so great employer:rotfl::rotfl:
  • caronc
    Now do you have a "paper trail" of the details of everything you've got stashed in those freezers?:rotfl:
    :o:o:o:o I have typed inventories (by shelf :o:o) for both (not in triplicate though "just" a printed one and the one on my PC - can you still get carbon paper? :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:) actually re-did them today as they had got a bit messy :o:o:o:o:o(Not sure I can use enough of these:o to cover this one:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:)
  • :rotfl:I rest my case m'lud:rotfl:

I CBA to do a freezer inventory personally and just have a fruit drawer, a vegetable drawer and so on. Well - that's the rough plan anyway - and hence the bit of a sort-out earlier today and realising I've certainly got enough fruit of one description or another to put on my morning porridge for months.

Am feeling a bit nonplussed as to why I'd bought a pack of filo pastry though. As in - not to try out - as I know what it's like. ? Maybe to try out cooking it myself possibly?

Now wondering what to do with said pastry - of the quick and easy variety. Thoughts?
  • caronc
    :rotfl:I rest my case m'lud:rotfl:

I CBA to do a freezer inventory personally and just have a fruit drawer, a vegetable drawer and so on. Well - that's the rough plan anyway - and hence the bit of a sort-out earlier today and realising I've certainly got enough fruit of one description or another to put on my morning porridge for months.

Am feeling a bit nonplussed as to why I'd bought a pack of filo pastry though. As in - not to try out - as I know what it's like. ? Maybe to try out cooking it myself possibly?

Now wondering what to do with said pastry - of the quick and easy variety. Thoughts?
    Love filo - spanakopitaka or with fish (especially trout) & creamed leeks are my two favourites. Also really good as baked samosa type thingies filled with potatoes, peas & curry spices
  • Morning All
    Does anyone else have a problem with yellow split peas, last night I soaked some for my soup (12hrs) put them on this morning brought to the boil then simmered for over 2hrs and they still have a crunch to them :mad: - is it just me

just a question.... are they old? I had some that were a couple of years old and they took forever to get soft, I was told it was cos they were considered the oap version of pulses. I didn't think it mattered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure